Quantcast

Network woes

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Work network, main computer, running XP, all other work computers connect to a second (not boot) drive. All work info is contained on this drive. Wireless router, Win7 computers cannot connect wirelessly, but older Win7 computer can connect hard wired. We ran out of ports on the router, so I added a hub. Newer Win7 computer cannot connect to main computer hard wired, older Win7 laptop can. Newer computer cannot "see" main computer.

What am I missing?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I might be mistaken but I think some versions of Win7 are fairly limited in their networking capability. I suppose you could be running into that. What versions of Win7 can and can't connect?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There were no network services removed from Windows, just the ability to join a domain which has always been a differentiation from the home and professional versions, all the way back to Windows 2000.

The network topology could be affecting this. I assume you haven't really installed a hub and it's actually a switch? Is the wireless set up as a wireless access point, or is it as a wireless router? And have you made sure to set the network as a "home" or "office" network to ensure it isn't blocking anything?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
There were no network services removed from Windows, just the ability to join a domain which has always been a differentiation from the home and professional versions, all the way back to Windows 2000.

The network topology could be affecting this. I assume you haven't really installed a hub and it's actually a switch? Is the wireless set up as a wireless access point, or is it as a wireless router? And have you made sure to set the network as a "home" or "office" network to ensure it isn't blocking anything?
I called it a hub, but it is a switch.

I remember something about local security policy, but can't remember quite what it is, and I think I have to edit the registry or something.