Quantcast

Networking help, anyone?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
So, I have a little problem. My home comp and my new one are directly connected with LAN cable - but they will not recognize each other, and my home comp says that it needs to remew it's IP address, but when I try repairing it, it has no success. Anyone know what to do now? I've done just about everything.

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
dwaugh said:
So, I have a little problem. My home comp and my new one are directly connected with LAN cable - but they will not recognize each other,
To directly connect 2 machines via an ethernet cable you need a "cross over" ethernet cable. The usual run of the mill one won't work.

dwaugh said:
and my home comp says that it needs to remew it's IP address, but when I try repairing it, it has no success.
Sounds like you've set the home pc to get a dhcp IP address. Change this to a static address and program each machine with an individual address. For example the new one can be 10.0.1.2 and the old one can be 10.0.1.1. Don't deviate too much (don't make one 192.168.1.116 and the other 11.8.9.1).

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
First off, you do need a crossover cable or a network hub, as a normal Cat5(e) cable will not work. To assign IP addresses, depending on operating system, go to
Start-Settings-Control Panel-network and Dialup Connections
Right-click on "LAN Connection" left-click on Properties-in the window, scroll down to Internet protocol{TCP/IP}-highlight it and click the "Properties" button on the lower right.
Here you can assign your IP addresses,(192.168.1.1) Subnet Mask(255.255.255.0)
Have one computer use the IP address above, and set the other to 192.168.1.2

Your cable will say "crossover" on it if it is a crossover cable. Also, you can generally feel a "twist " in the wires under the sheathing.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
as you should with all twisted pair cables.

look for a different color jacket (usually yellow) or look at the wire colors through the connector. If they are in a different order for different ends, its a crossover

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
It worked! Anyway, the computers still wont recognize each other, though they both say they are connected. I dotn know how to set a new network place, because it wont recognize the other computer................... :confused:

D

d-sop

btw to refresh your ip address (if its automatic)(havent been payin attention) go to start>run and type in cmd. then in the prompt type "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew". just a tip

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
dwaugh said:
It worked! Anyway, the computers still wont recognize each other, though they both say they are connected. I dotn know how to set a new network place, because it wont recognize the other computer................... :confused:
What are you trying to do? Share the internet connection? Move your files and folders from the old one to the new one?