Quantcast

Never know who is on the bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Driver messes with the wrong bicyclist: Portland man faces charges in run-in with officer

Damn.

The incident began about 6 a.m. when Sgt. Joe Santos -- who commutes to work on his bike -- was riding toward the city on Northwest Cornell Road, said Lt. Kelli Sheffer, the Portland Police Bureau's public information officer.

"He said he was riding along when a person in a SUV to the left of him came within inches of hitting him while passing him," Sheffer said. "It really freaked him out."

About Northwest 25th Avenue and Lovejoy Street, Santos pulled up to a stop sign.

And there, to his left, was the SUV.

"The SUV turns into Santos and almost hits him," Sheffer said. "About a block later, the driver stopped so suddenly that Santos had to veer into oncoming traffic. As he went around the SUV he slapped the vehicle to let the driver know he was there. The driver put the vehicle in reverse and attempted to hit Santos."

Sheffer said Santos hopped off his bike, grabbed it and ran to the sidewalk.

"The driver then put the car in drive and hit Santos bike," Sheffer said. "Santos had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit."
What an ass, I hope he gets charged with assault with a deadly weapon on a cop.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
while it shouldn't matter the cyclists occupation, hopefully this can garner more attention to the dangers that d-bag drivers pose to cyclists.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In the late 80's a off duty Capitola police officer was riding his bike home post shift on Portola drive near 30th ave when a driver ran him off the road. As he got up from his crash the car spun a u turn and came back on the wrong side of the road and accelerated at him. He pulled his service weapon and emptied the clip into the car. The driver lived but got hit by 4 rounds spent time at the trauma center then went to prison for attempted murder of a police officer.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The big story is when the same response happens when it doesn't happen to be a cop on the bike in a city that isn't one of the most bike friendliest in North America.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Did officer Santos happen get the plate off the car? I know he probably had more immediate pressing matters and all, but if he did we should be seeing an arrest real soon no?

splat

Nam I am

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Sounds like typical Americans to me. Just sad really.
Lol.

poster said:
I don't buy Santos story for a minute. Sounds like he left the house are raged up and looking for a fight. The poor old guy may have drifted a little close to the white line and Santos saw something that wasn't there and went on the offensive, attacking the old guy. I can only imagine the terror the old guy felt when some some young man with veins popping out start raining blows down on his car, I am sure he was trying to get away as fast as possible to save himself.

Santos should be stripped of his badge and jailed.
:tinfoil:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I have to admit, i get angry at road bikers A LOT esepcially up in this area but that's taking things waayyy too far. I hope he dropps the soap in the shower and gets what he deserves.

Oh, and I only get angry at roadies out here because they are always riding 4 or 5 wide on narrow roads. A bike lane is there for a reason...you don't need to hold up traffic because you want to literally be next to your buddy. AHHHHHHH (sorry, encountered it again this morning on my way to work and it made me late).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh, and I only get angry at roadies out here because they are always riding 4 or 5 wide on narrow roads. A bike lane is there for a reason...you don't need to hold up traffic because you want to literally be next to your buddy. AHHHHHHH (sorry, encountered it again this morning on my way to work and it made me late).
As one of the "roadies" you probably get angry at, let me remind you that bicycles have a legal right to the road, just as cars do. Courtesy on both sides is appreciated. As far as people riding 4 or 5 wide (most likely along the 192 or 150), this is certainly during the fast group rides in town. You can't do a large, fast group ride single-file because the accordion effect would ruin the ride, it would be a mile long, and it wouldn't really be a race-type training ride. Often what happens is there is more or less a double-paceline, and slower riders peel off or people try to move up, creating a situation where there are lots of riders next to each other as everyone moves around. I agree that this would likely be frustrating as a motorist, but please treat us with respect and pass us like you would an old lady in a Buick. I would be amazed if you were more than a minute or two late due to cyclists. We aren't clogging up the 101, and we aren't intentionally trying to slow you down on your way to work. Again, I understand how a huge group of people riding in the roadway could be frustrating, but I am just trying to explain why we do it, and give an outside perspective.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Loco, agreed, just trying to explain why sometimes you end up seeing a bunch of riders abreast - it's not necessarily intentional, it's more of a product of a big group with people moving positions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What is also scary read the comments at the end of the article.
The Mercury News uses your Facebook profile to add comments.

No surprise, there are a lot fewer comments and most of them are reasonable, simply because it is a pain to set up a fake FB account.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
In the late 80's a off duty Capitola police officer was riding his bike home post shift on Portola drive near 30th ave when a driver ran him off the road. As he got up from his crash the car spun a u turn and came back on the wrong side of the road and accelerated at him. He pulled his service weapon and emptied the clip into the car. The driver lived but got hit by 4 rounds spent time at the trauma center then went to prison for attempted murder of a police officer.
I was thinking that if I had been the officer, this is what I would have done. Try and hit me with 2.5 tons of steel...I'll return the favor with flying metal.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Sorry for my ignorance...The driver was charged for attempted murder of an officer even though he didn't know it was an officer? Or did he?
They can charge you for almost anything. What you actually go down for is what the lawyers battle over.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
They can charge you for almost anything. What you actually go down for is what the lawyers battle over.
He did say "went to prison for attempted murder of a police officer." I don't imagine the driver would have gotten off for attempted murder of a regular civilian. I am just wondering if there is a difference in severity of punishment when it doesn't seem to be an intentional act targeting an officer.

BTW- This is an honest question. No disrespect for police. Santa Cruz city police are very responsive when I need them. I think they all deserve much respect for putting their lives on the line in public service.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Not at all. I just found it interesting that Eric specifically said the driver went to jail for attempted murder of an officer. I am just wondering if they have special status. And, again, I wouldn't begrudge that.
Yeah...I was just being glib.

I do believe that even if the perpetrator does not "know" that the victim is a police officer, it does not matter. Kinda like assaulting an undercover officer I would suppose.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
It shouldn't matter who the auto driver attempts to kill, saying one person is worth more then another is a serious fail.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wow, they should throw the book at him. that's obscene, and the driver is legitimately lucky the officer wasn't armed. that's assault with a deadly weapon...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I always roll my window down and say "Thanks for blocking the road dipshlt. Next time a car tries to kill me, I'll know he was pissed at you for riding two wide!" :D

I can only assume that the roof racks and hitch rack will tip the retarded guy on two wheels off that I'm a cyclist too. But that may be assuming too much.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Loco, agreed, just trying to explain why sometimes you end up seeing a bunch of riders abreast - it's not necessarily intentional, it's more of a product of a big group with people moving positions.
Wait, what? It's not intentional? The group is that unaware of traffic? Nobody yells "car back"?

I love road bikes. Roadies? Not so much, at least here in the Bay Area. I see people taking the entire road way more than necessary out here. There is a common arrogance and righteousness that drives me nuts. And I agree that we all have to deal with the backlash.

Anyway, hope that dude gets what he deserves.

... I see people taking the entire road way more than necessary out here. There is a common arrogance and righteousness that drives me nuts. And I agree that we all have to deal with the backlash.

It's common here in the Champlain Valley also. I get pretty pissed when I'm the car driver. All I do, however, is hang close behind until it's safe to pass, or, as often happens, they get weirded out by the motor behind them and pull into single file.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still can't believe the comments on the article. I mean, maybe it shouldn't surprise me, but sadly it does. People suck.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I know about big rides...I'm talking about small groups of just 3 or 4 guys holding up traffic. I have no problem with people riding roads, but as a driver I am required to obey traffic laws and so are they. If they respect the rules then I respect them...the second they start holding up traffic and it's not a large group they need to get out of my way.

That is the only reason why I want "edge with juice" for my truck so I can quickly get some smoke going.

FYI, when I have a road bike to use I'll go out and ride also...or I ride my xc bike on the road BUT I obey the laws I'm supposed to...even if I'm in a bigger group of people. It's common sense.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Let's not turn this into a "I hate roadies" thread.

Yes, I've seen egregious behavior from large groups of cyclists, but this was a single rider who a driver decided to screw with.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Let's not turn this into a "I hate roadies" thread.

Yes, I've seen egregious behavior from large groups of cyclists, but this was a single rider who a driver decided to screw with.
:stupid:

The fact that it was a cop is one of the few blessings in this mess. I know I've been f'ed with when commuting and it sucks. But to try more than once is awful.

<edit> I hate roadies, too. Just sayin'