Quantcast

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Mont-Sainte-Anne Thread

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Did Caudio say Brendan's fork has an extra inch of travel? (or did he mean the frame?)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fucking redbull tv. I was watching the replay, and in the middle of Estaque's run, it jumped to Pierron's live run and spoiled it all. Fuck redbull. :(

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
takeaways :
max commencal trying to convince ACC to come back to WC DH? yes please.
final round of the series has no quali points? all points available in the finals only?
vergier rumoured to be moving to another team?
gee beat every british worlds team member except 1.
the bos obsys fork has 220mm of travel.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You forgot that on the fastest and roughest track of the year the small wheels dominated. How are the lizards going to explain this? :think:

takeaways :
max commencal trying to convince ACC to come back to WC DH? yes please.
final round of the series has no quali points? all points available in the finals only?
vergier rumoured to be moving to another team?
gee beat every british worlds team member except 1.
the bos obsys fork has 220mm of travel.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wish I could be washed up and still finish 8th in a WC DH race.

Gee and Hart are the only two Brits I see with any chance of winning World Champs, shame only one of them will be there.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I wish I could be washed up and still finish 8th in a WC DH race.

Gee and Hart are the only two Brits I see with any chance of winning World Champs, shame only one of them will be there.
Agreed: very cool to see Gee back up there.

With regards to team selection...There must be some kind of consistency ratio they factor in, which if included, would make his absence from the team more logical. As much as I like the guy (listen to the Vital Podcast with him, plus he's an animal), he's been off the pace with crashes and injury for a while now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
podium tires :

bruni - butcher
brosnan - dhf/dhr2
hart - dhr2
pierron - magic mary
vergier - minnass

atherton - g5
seagrave - magic mary
hannah - prototype hellkat? looks like the same tread design, may be just a proto casing or compound.
cabirou - magic mary
salazar - magic mary

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
someone was quite lazy by just recycling that document from the road world champs ;)
It's British Cycling. What do you expect? If it's not an Olympic (funded) cycle sport they don't really GAF about you

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Froggies are killing it.

Bruni looked really confident. I have a feeling Brosnan could hit a new plateau and dominate.
Nice to see Hart up there too.

Do most of the riders love MSA? Or do the ones who love it often have good results there? This track stands out as one where the mental game is extra key (assuming the rider has sufficient fitness, which most seem to have nowadays).

There seems to be a wide gulf between the riders who can consistently perform on any track vs those who could podium or win on their fave.

Obviously most of the women do not love MSA.

Last edited:

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Paraphasing, elite men making the top 20 in a world cup in the first 5 rounds are automatically considered. Selection criteria is based on
- performance at 1st five rounds of 2018 world cups;
- performance at 2017 UCI DH at Lenzerheide.
- performance at 2018 national series and and national champs.

Here are the results for the applicable races.
Losinj, FtBill, Leo, VdS, Vallnord, Overall 2018 series rank after 5 races; Lenz 2017; UK1, UK2, UK3, UK Champs

Greenland: 7, 16, 3, 2, 4, 3rd overall; 4; 4, n/a, n/a, 6
Hart: 10, 6, 12, 3, 6, 5th overall; 3; 2, 1, n/a, 2
Wilson: DNQ, 4, 22, 7, 41, 12th overall; 42; 10, 6, n/a, n/a
Brayton: 22, 25, 17, 13, 25, 20th overall; 13; 5, 8, 1, 4
Atherton: 19, 15, 18, 26, 33, 22nd overall; 30; 6, 10, n/a, n/a
Walker: DNS, 7, 31, DNQ, 11, 23rd overall; DNS; 1, n/a, n/a, 1
Jones: DNQ, 24, 8, DNQ, 60, 30th overall; 54; 3, n/a, n/a, n/a
Atwill: DNQ, DNQ, 39, 15, 20, 32nd overall; 5; n/a, n/a, 15, n/a

Smith: 15, 29, 37, 29, 28, 24th overall; 19; n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a
Fairclough: 26, 21, DSQ, 43, 30, 29th overall; DNQ; n/a, 44, n/a, n/a
Kerr: DNS, 40, 21, 17, 29, 31st overall; DNS; n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a

Doesn't make sense to me to take Atwill over Atherton. Maybe the Atwill selection was based on his 2017 Lenzerheide results?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Anybody with half a brain cell should know that Gee should be at worlds over everybody but Greenland and Hart. British Cycling is either rethinking their rules, or doesn't care about DH enough to bother with changing their rules to make better decisions.

Edit: in other news, is Eddie Masters making the switch to EWS full time? Seems like after a few strong results, he's caught the bug. Skipped MSA for an EWS, got 3rd.

Last edited:

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Eddie Masters is the Spirit of Enduro personified, what did you expect?

It'd be a shame though, because he seems to get on well with the 27.5 Phoenix.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anybody with half a brain celln interest in downhill mountainbiking should know that Gee should be at worlds over everybody but Greenland and Hart.
Sorry but British Cycling don't really meet that criteria ;)

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Great race to watch. Have to agree that Gee gives the best course preview I've seen in a long time (not to mention chatting about things as he rides MSA with a broken paw). Guy is a savage and it's great to see him in the top 10 again. Anyone see/hear what happened to Greenland?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Great race to watch. Have to agree that Gee gives the best course preview I've seen in a long time (not to mention chatting about things as he rides MSA with a broken paw). Guy is a savage and it's great to see him in the top 10 again. Anyone see/hear what happened to Greenland?
Something about a rolled ankle, guessing he did it in qually as he was DNF.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Damn. Woulda liked to see what he did with that track. Hopefully he'll be back for Le Bresse. In some ways its cool that the overall is decided--everyone can just ride it like world champs!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i thought it was one of the funnest races to watch of the year. i also think loris seems like an awesome kid. not sitting on the podium seat scowling like a douchebag but genuinely fired the hell up for every rider who came down after him. good chit. the top 5 or so riders were insane. watching them come into the speed trap was sick. hellz yeah.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Have to agree on the fun of watching that race. Rider after rider rising the bar. How Amaury Pierron was able to go that fast after his warm up OTB is amazing. I'm curious of what's going to happen next time all of the (previous) big names are fit. This was his season, no doubt.

Nobody brought it up yet, so here is my favourite vid of the weekend.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
What an insane race. Just got back from Mt St Anne and from my vantage point Gee was as fast as anyone and Bruni makes everything look so smooth and easy. Tried riding it the next day top to bottom, WTF? extremely humbling. Video does this place no justice. ZERO

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I just got home from a 12 day road trip that included msa. My friend did her WC qualifying attempt there so I was there to keep her bike running and for moral support. That track looks super fun but that entire mountain was very very rough. The women definitely struggle on that course and I'm super proud of my friend for taking it on and riding all the features that she wanted to hit. Definitely a great learning experience for her and I had a blast too. The after party was a blast too.