Quantcast

New 2007 Turner DHR and Team 4X frames. Check them out...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
So, I am curious. I know you cannot disclose to much information and would never want to drag a sponsor, or even ex-sponsor, through the dirt (NPI).

What happened with commencal? I thought they had brought you over to Europe ect. and then it seems that there was a quick unexpected pull out. Were expectations not met, only a one year deal, or some kind of restructuring?
Jason, check your PM's.

I'm not sure if I told you, but when I was down in South America I did some riding with Brian Bartlett. I'm not sure if you've seen his latest creations, but he has a leg design with these rubber tendons. I guess it makes pedalling much easier. I talked to him for a while about it, but it was about 3 months back and I've forgotten a lot of the details.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
40 minutes from Highlands, 1 1/2 hours to Attitash and Killington, about 4 hrs. to Jimmny, P-Kill, and Diablo, 1000 acres of conservation land with a trail system abuts my property...all is good.

Oh, and did I mention there is no traffic.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
40 minutes from Highlands, 1 1/2 hours to Attitash and Killington, about 4 hrs. to Jimmny, P-Kill, and Diablo, 1000 acres of conservation land with a trail system abuts my property...all is good.

Oh, and did I mention there is no traffic.
But people talk they have socks stuffed in their mouths.

Still, sounds like a tasty location. Glad you're well! If I ever get sent to our Portsmouth office, I'm coming to look you up.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
All I want to know is.....

Tell me you did not ride that vespa from the OC, to Murrieta???
Stik,
I drove out to Murrieta, but I can legally ride the Vespa up and over Ortega. I put the GPS on it the other day, and with the new motor I clocked it at 69mph. If I had a bit more road I'm sure it would have gone a bit faster.
The only problem is that I'm not too familiar with the side roads on the other side of Ortega, and I would have to take them, so I just drove out there.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stik,
I drove out to Murrieta, but I can legally ride the Vespa up and over Ortega. I put the GPS on it the other day, and with the new motor I clocked it at 69mph. If I had a bit more road I'm sure it would have gone a bit faster.
The only problem is that I'm not too familiar with the side roads on the other side of Ortega, and I would have to take them, so I just drove out there.
Ok, good, I was gonna say, that would be a hell of a ride....

70mph on a vespa, sounds safe ;)

Side roads are all dirt-my husky likes them a lot ;)

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey Sanj,

Good to hear you got good hookups. Sad to hear about all the sponsorship thing with Commencal. Oh well, as you say, you will always have something ghetto on your builds. Remembers me something in Whistler with that BCD and the hardware store!!

Peace!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I was trying to mock it all up a couple days ago with a friend. I had the bike sans wheels with the fork just infront of the right pannier. I think I would mount both wheels somewhere over the left pannier. The biggest probelm though is that where I'd be mounting, the bars would be hitting me in the back. I'd have to rotate my stem 90 degrees everytime I'd want to ride the bike.

I guess some things will never change. No matter how much help I get I'll still have that inner dirtbag wanting to come out. I'll allways have something weird or ghetto with my builds. It's just me.

I think I'm selling the frame today. The Majin was going to be my back-up plan. I just talked to Victor on the phone today. Sounds like production is coming along pretty good. He said something about a newer lighter frame with different tubing.

Dave, unfortunately some things came up and I have to be in town during Memorial Day weekend. I'm super bummed as I had a ton of fun at the Open last year. Hopefully I'll see you and the crew at some other races on the East Coast this summer.

Yo Captain, how are things? Haven't seen you in years. Just like you've stated, I've been licking the frames everyday. My tongue is starting to hurt, but the frames look great.
I think I'm going to be up in NorCal quite a bit this summer. That is if the Northstar lifts are open. I have a $100 voucher that I can use on my season pass, so it'll be super cheap. I'll keep you in the loop when I'm up that way.
Yo, Jonas and my brother just built a rack for his bike. It's not exactly super pro looking but it looks like it will be solid and seems to be working pretty sweet. e-mail him and I bet he can send you some info. Too bad we'll miss you at the open, we'll figure something out later in the summer I'm sure. Hope your tongue heals fast. :)

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I meant to post an update for a while now. I’ve been super busy riding the bike and then was down in Mexico chasing for the Baja 500.
All I can say is that I’m super happy with the frame right now. It took a bit of time to get it to feel just right. This DHR is so much more slack than my Commencal. I was having problems for the first couple rides maintaining traction on my front wheel. My front end was pushing in corners. I swapped my beloved Comp 32 for a Comp 16 and would weight the front end a bit more in corners and it now corners like a dream.
I still need to do something about the fork. Hopefully I’ll get some cash together and get a Boxxer Team. This 40 is all buggerd up and I fell in love with the Boxxer Team I had last year. With the Boxxer I’ll also be able to run an integrated stem and will mount some SIC flat bars when they get some more in stock.

Here are the pictures...

The terrorist threat level is high when my bike is around.

Don’t hate. Yeah I’m running my stem under the crown. It is stiffer and the bars are a bit lower this way.

Waiting for the shuttle back up I got bored and snapped a couple pictures.

I guess I should stop tailgatting. I don’t need another traffic ticket.
Wait, I’m not tailgaiting...The fuel pump died on my parents truck out at a secret shuttle spot. I had to get towed, but there were 8 of us, 6 of us were in the truck along with all of our bikes.

The truck in the garage with the load. Please never buy a Chevy. These things suck.

So more of my time was spent here. I didn’t have any internet access so that slowed my update a bit.
http://i13.tinypic.com/4mi6h3a.gif

Here’s what I was chasing down in Baja. My job was to run parts on my mot to remote sections of the course if the truck broke down. Well that wasn’t the case, so I just helped with fuel/tire stops.

Pit stop.

I parked my bike here for one of the stops. Note the skull in the plants.

About a half hour later we are all relaxing. This stray walks up to my bike. Sniffs around for a moment, and then pisses on my tire. This is the second time I’ve seen a dog piss on one of my motos.

Due to some mechanicals and some gnarly bottlenecks pit #3 was going to occur at nite.

The truck was basically still driving in daylight.

The aftermath. The truck did finish, but with all the problems and congestion it was 1.5 hours past the 20 hour time limit.

Mexico is just too much fun...

Last 2 for now.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude, does Rabie EVER take off his gray t-shirt??

Good stuff.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
For those of you hating on my blue basket it was just the better choice for me. The only other baskets that I have are made of aluminum and I figured that you wouldn’t be able to see the frames that well.

On a side note, right now I’m trying to fab up a mount so that I can put a mtb on the back of my moto. I’d love to be able to ride this to South America or wherever and be fully self reliant. I’m just having some issues with placement...

Here are a couple more pictures of just the frames. I had to take a couple outside to show the true beauty of the raw finish. I kinda wish the rear end of the 4x was also raw, but I think over time the polish will get more dull and it’ll look better.

Took the frames over to the local bike shop, The Path Bike Shop. (Check them out...http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/ I’ll be on their Ambassador Race Team this year and they’ve helped me out a ton over the years. Definitely good guys. I drive 15 minutes past another shop to go to these guys) I put both the frames on digital scales. Figured most of you would be curious.
DHR

4X (David says that it's strong enough for some light DH, so should be great for some of the Fontana style DH courses)

I’ve started to get both bikes built up, but right now I’m waiting on a bunch of parts to arrive. I can scavenge my XC bike for a lot of parts to get the 4X built up, so I hope to be riding it very soon. Ride pics will follow. I gotta thanks the guys at e13 for their help. The guides bolted up no problem. The Fox 40rc2 has about 5 cracks on the lowers, so those will need to be replaced. Might try to get a Boxxer Team. I liked mine a lot from last year.

Sanjay,
Is the KTM super heavy? Am working on trying to get a KTM SM for street but the "RACING" versions are not CA legal!!!:nopity: I will have to keep searching wanting something under 260 LBS hopefully. Nice TURNERS BTW. My 2002 DHR was awesome.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
nice everything. i love the raw duo. do you have any pics of the cracks. im guessing hairlines but i would like to look out for them on my fork. i had a nasty nose case a while ago lawlz.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Sanjay,
Is the KTM super heavy? Am working on trying to get a KTM SM for street but the "RACING" versions are not CA legal!!!:nopity: I will have to keep searching wanting something under 260 LBS hopefully. Nice TURNERS BTW. My 2002 DHR was awesome.
My bike is no lightweight. Hovering around the 500lbs mark it is a pig. Would it be possible to get one of the CA street legal dual sports and supermoto it out? Have you looked into Husqvarna. Last I remembered they had some quick street legal supermotos.

vitox said:
the figgin TRONS man!! its the trons i know, now im decided, ill get some for myself .
Victor,
Being down South was just like being back in Chile. Everywhere I went people wanted to wear the Trons. I even saw someone else down there with some. But instead of pink frames and black lenses they had black frames and gold lenses. Maybe I'll stock up on these and become the Chilean distributor when I come back.

MikeD said:
Dude, does Rabie EVER take off his gray t-shirt??

Good stuff.
Mike,
I have this feeling that if you walk into Rabie's house and look into his closet, or anywhere in his place for that matter, all you'll see is grey and black. Must be kinda weird walking into there with a red or yellow shirt on. You might glow.

_*sTiTcHeS*_ said:
nice everything. i love the raw duo. do you have any pics of the cracks. im guessing hairlines but i would like to look out for them on my fork. i had a nasty nose case a while ago lawlz.
Well I tried to get a picture of the one on my arch, but it is a hairline crack and isn't really showing. It's on the inside corner of the arch.

The other big ones are under the axle clamp. This picture actually shows 3 cracks. 1 big one coming from the left side. 1 small one that is in a line with the big one coming from the right side. And 1 more that is perpendicular to the small one.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I love the basket,

actually I loved the scooter with way more money in the basket then the bike itself.

Kaboom 950, spent an afternoon on one, not for me but fun none the less.

I saw a guy run a bike mount on his FZ1 front axle off the passenger peg and rear wheel by the tail light, not going to work for your panniers on the 950 though.:disgust:

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
nice cracks. im going to inspect my fork right now. it took a beating at the dirt jumps the other day:bonk: .

so did my face but it healed fine.:banghead:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah the HUSK'y look the easiest roote!
The SMR 510 and or the SMR 450 both are 7K retail! The 510 is 265LBS so should go good.....:shocked:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Sanjay,
KTM 2008 models are going to have just what you are looking for.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Yeah the HUSK'y look the easiest roote!
The SMR 510 and or the SMR 450 both are 7K retail! The 510 is 265LBS so should go good.....:shocked:
What's your sort of price range for one of these bikes? Also are there any Husky dealers in your neck of the woods?
Lucky for me there is one about 10 minutes from where I live.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
What's your sort of price range for one of these bikes? Also are there any Husky dealers in your neck of the woods?
Lucky for me there is one about 10 minutes from where I live.
Well in THEORY I have maybe 2K cash and a nice somewhat ridden M3 that I may be able to sell! If not I would finance the remaining 3-4K and get a nice 60-80 a month payment! There is no HUSKY dealers around, I live in SLO BTW. But there are a few KTM dealers in town......

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
thread derailment

I have a husky 2006 Te-250 cali street legal enduro, 260lbs with fuel, has been flawless-great bike.
THey make same model in a supermoto, GP in san diego, forza in escondido and the old man in santa ana all sell them.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah the place in Escandito (sp) has a TE 450 on SALE right now....
There is also a used TE 610 that I found for 5K it is a 2005 YELLOW. Have to actually go look at them. I am presuming they can be shifted without a clutch??? And that they will pull the front wheel up easily?