Quantcast

New 2009 Boxxers

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
probably a bit counter-intuitive, and I've gotta say I've never had a problem with the stiffness of Boxxers, but I didn't mind the bit of flex that shivers had. IMO, it sorta made them track a bit better although granted I'm no WC rider. Just seemed the slightly noodley feel felt better in rock gardens.

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Well i never thought id get this many replys to the thread, cheers guys.

I think that boxxers are the best on the market at the minute i mean the current fastest man on the planet is winning on them the legend peaty is still looking good on them and g.minnar is flying so i think the flexibility issue can be closed.

The other reason they are amazing for non-pros or guys on a budget is they can be serviced by almost by anyone they are so easy to keep in top condition and parts are no problem to get hold off, also the side walls are much stronger than the 40s.

I have ridden the 40s and they feel better when your in the carpark bouncing them about but once they are out on the park you just don't get the same feedback as you do with the boxxers sure the boxxers feel like the bushings have gone all the time and the initial 10% of movement in them feels weird but they are awsome on the move.

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
LOL agreed bud!!

If you need any pre Load spacers give me a PMail, i made a whole load on my lathe at uni out of nylon..(hehe and never paid WOOP)

Only i heard Rockshox will only sell them in a kit now with loads of other useless crap for a lot more money!!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well i never thought id get this many replys to the thread, cheers guys.

I think that boxxers are the best on the market at the minute i mean the current fastest man on the planet is winning on them the legend peaty is still looking good on them and g.minnar is flying so i think the flexibility issue can be closed.

The other reason they are amazing for non-pros or guys on a budget is they can be serviced by almost by anyone they are so easy to keep in top condition and parts are no problem to get hold off, also the side walls are much stronger than the 40s.

I have ridden the 40s and they feel better when your in the carpark bouncing them about but once they are out on the park you just don't get the same feedback as you do with the boxxers sure the boxxers feel like the bushings have gone all the time and the initial 10% of movement in them feels weird but they are awsome on the move.
The current fastest man on the planet is running a 40. It's Atherton at the moment. Boxxers flex, but nothing like a Shiver, and they rebound a hell of a lot faster so they actually track due to it. I've spent plenty of time on each of these, all torqued to the correct specs. Some could argue the 888's and 40's are almost stiff to a fault but it depends on how you ride and what your weight distribution is.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Never had a problem either. I´m impressed by it´s function, durability and weight. Changing chassi too often is just trouble for the privateer looking for spare parts.
Thank you very much for that RS/SRAM.
I would agree except that a boxxer is only say ~$100 (150max) less than an 08 888 (comparing air to air and coil to coil of course). Only saving a 100 bucks when compared to a brand new chasis and a brand new damper? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Not really a good selling point. Plus boxxers are easy to work on, but zokes are even easier. Plus another quick google search shows that a seal kit for a 888 is just about the same as a boxxer (plus or minus 2 bucks)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The current fastest man on the planet is running a 40. It's Atherton at the moment. Boxxers flex, but nothing like a Shiver, and they rebound a hell of a lot faster so they actually track due to it. I've spent plenty of time on each of these, all torqued to the correct specs. Some could argue the 888's and 40's are almost stiff to a fault but it depends on how you ride and what your weight distribution is.
Actually, a shiver would flex far less as far as fore-aft flex is concerned, and I do believe that is the type of flex that people were mentioning in this thread.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Dammit, forgot the rest of my reply. :D

The stiffness of the boxxer may be an issue for some, and not for others. JM, I think you just like complaining about Boxxers really. :)

If the stiffness is an issue, then the rider should look for something else.

Fact is, the World Cup is a 5.9 pound DH fork thats winning at the top of the competitive ladder. Will making it stiffer make a huge improvement? Maybe in the minds of some, but probably not in the results.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The current fastest man on the planet is running a 40. It's Atherton at the moment.
Are you suggesting the man that hammers ~5s into his time on the hardest section of the track is from another planet? Because I guess that's entirely possible.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Frankly, I'm amazed you all consider the boxxer to be a "durable" downhill fork. You must be riding some different trails to me, that's for sure.

I could care less for the increased stanchion diameter, so long as they don't snap like the current generation.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I've seen a few ONLINE ONLY that have snapped near the dropouts, but none in person. I have seen some twisted, but they were quickly taken care of by SRAM.

There are going to be some tradeoffs when you go to make super light forks. Not defending RS, just stating common sense, which may or may not apply to the internets.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've seen a few ONLINE ONLY that have snapped near the dropouts, but none in person. I have seen some twisted, but they were quickly taken care of by SRAM.

There are going to be some tradeoffs when you go to make super light forks. Not defending RS, just stating common sense, which may or may not apply to the internets.
The problem I'm talking about refers to the circlip groove in the stanchion that retains the rebound cartridge internals. I did three myself, and I've now lost count of the number of others doing the same thing locally. Although it did occur to me the other day that I've only ever seen it happen to the coil sprung models. Maybe something about the air spring puts less force on the rebound cartridge at full extension?

Granted, Sram went above and beyond in taking care of me, but others weren't so fortunate it would seem.

And yeah, I wholly agree that there's a trade-off. For certain riders, under certain conditions, the boxxer is "enough". For others, not so much. I would LOVE to know how often Peat, Rennie etc have this problem!

I've heard a rumour that this aspect in particular has been revised for the 2009 version, but I can't see how, with stanchion IDs and ODs remaining the same...

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The problem I'm talking about refers to the circlip groove in the stanchion that retains the rebound cartridge internals. I did three myself, and I've now lost count of the number of others doing the same thing locally. Although it did occur to me the other day that I've only ever seen it happen to the coil sprung models. Maybe something about the air spring puts less force on the rebound cartridge at full extension?
Nah it breaks on the air models too...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have seen some twisted, but they were quickly taken care of by SRAM.
Seen more than a few twisted, we used them for spare parts for a while. Been an issue for a while, since before sram, but not a mystery due to the stanchion size.

32mm=2003. :biggrin:

Maybe I am complaining a little bit, but take a look at the damping. How many times did we say that the damping was archaic compared to other stuff that was available. How many people told us "well, people win on it so it must be the best in the world", and "well I've never had a problem with it". Now with the motion control and mission control it BLOWS the old damping system out of the water. Hate to say it, but yeah, we told you so. The one good thing here is that RS has other products that are not falling behind the times, like the Totem and Lyric, but if the Boxxer is to stay competative any any level, it should be updated in terms of the chassi/stanchion size. Why? Because at 8" of travel, the other forks remain FAR stiffer with stanchions bigger than 32mm. Just like when we said that the hydracoil damping was crap. The only problem was that so many people were riding them that they didn't know, now low and behold motion/mission control is "so much better".

It's like that IMO.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Once I cut the steerer on mine, it came out to 5.94985734257905739042857342908573428953425somethingsomethingsomething....

I couldn't beleive it either, but it was verified on 3 scales.

balances out though, as my pike is heavier then advertised. haha ;D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Was referring to torsional flex, not fore-aft.

That Boxxer sure didn't seem to help Sam Hill keep it together through the last left hander at worlds though!! Maybe he hammered it too hard up top.

Regardless, fastest man this year is Atherton. Clock says so. Even though I would have liked Hill to win and think he's a better rider.

And yeah, I don't consider any DH forks these days to be "durable".

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
That Boxxer sure didn't seem to help Sam Hill keep it together through the last left hander at worlds though!! Maybe he hammered it too hard up top.
Are you you kidding me? The fork on Sam's bike had absolutely nothing to do with him falling at worlds.:bonk:

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Or maybe the fact that he tried to rail a super risky line at an insane pace.

Naw, nix that, blame the equipment, we all know your only as good as what you ride on. :huh:
totally, taking a high speed corner even faster then it was ever dreamed it would be taken and not bothering with that pesky berm to add a few seconds to the lead you already have is totally the forks fault.

as for the fork flexing, id rather have a boxxer flex then a 40's eggshell lowers crack. and yes ive seen broken boxxers, my friend snapped his the other week. but for the people i know that have both forks almost all have snapped the 40's and only 3 out of god knows how many have snapped the boxxers.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
It is fastest racer to the finish line not the split times.

So in the World Championship Gee is fastest. Looking at the World Cup overall Gee is not the fastest. I am to lazy to go look at current standings to post the leader right now and I am not going to make an educated guess.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
By that logic, an F1 car that failed to finish a race with a skateboard would be, technically, the slower vehicle.

Theres what the clock says, and what is the truth. Not always the same.

Anyways, enough of this.

Yay Boxxorz!!!!!!!!

DaveyIntense

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Berwick
Im British and Sam hill is faster than Gee not by much but still faster and hey your all forgeting about minnar he is fast this year and skill wise is friggin awsome.

On the 40s they are not the most reliabile, the blader goes in them the ti spring snaps and they do become quite sticky after a few runs so both forks have there reliability problems. 1 thing i can say about boxers though is that sram are on the ball with replacments.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
By that logic, an F1 car that failed to finish a race with a skateboard would be, technically, the slower vehicle.

Theres what the clock says, and what is the truth. Not always the same.

Anyways, enough of this.

Yay Boxxorz!!!!!!!!

Doesnt matter how fast you go if you dont get to the finish line first; this is fundamental to racing: Cross finish line before everyone else = win, else FAIL

Last edited:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Just got mine today:banana:. The red actually isn't too bad. With the low rise crown it weighs in at 3145 grams (6.91 lbs), uncut steer. In case anyone wants a breakdown.
Low rise upper crown - 177g
Maxle DH - 124g
rubber bumpers - 39g
lower crown/steer assembly - 419g
Rest of fork - 2386

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

Regardless, fastest man this year is Atherton. Clock says so. Even though I would have liked Hill to win and think he's a better rider.
Just wanted to point out that you're wrong. Winning a race does NOT make you the "fastest man", riding fast DOES. No one's arguing who won, people are arguing who the fastest rider is.

So what the clock really says is that Atherton was consistent and managed to win a race, and that Hill smashed him to pieces when it came to raw speed. Not saying Atherton is slow, but I think Hill is in a league of his own when it comes to tracks like that - and you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

Huck Banzai - again, read the point that was being argued instead of making up your own. Fastest rider, not winner.