Quantcast

New 2009 Boxxers

Mar 1, 2008
Do a search, there is lots of info about

bigger stancions, mission control damping, etc..
Umm...I thought that was the Blackbox Boxxer, not the production '09. I was under the impression that the '09s will still be the same (32mm, Motion Control, etc.)? :poster_oops:

Last edited:

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
looks like the 09 boxxer will be the same as 08....the "new" blackbox boxxer with the biger stancions and so on is maybe the new boxxer wc for 2010

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Yeah, one of the local shop just received the 09 boxxers and they are still the same as the current model. No 35mm stanchions or mission control damper.

09 Boxxer team comes in red.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
three years, going for 4 with the same design? I mean, they've changed the lowers and done minor ajustments in the internals, but essentially the 08 boxxer and now the 09, will be the same as the 06... I want to see change.... soon! haha

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That kinda sucks. RS has had 32mm stanchions since 1998, and the other companies realized long ago that with 200mm of travel something around 35mm or so is a good starting point. I have a RS and don't want to rag on them too much, but the problem is that this gives the other guys one more year to one-up RS, and this is a change that should have happend a few years back.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Jm_, every time I hear you chime in on a thread about boxxers, I can't help but remember the ragging you used to do. Now you own one again... nice ;)

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Well there amazing anyway... Why change when they work well??? Im sure the new ones will be amazing too..
yea, i agree, since 2006 boxxers have been the same. some say that is a bad thing because its "old" technology. if i remember correctly, all the 888 fan boys out there were up in arms because marzocchi threw out the rc2x damper for a new single cartrige damper and that was a "bad move" but hey, it was new tech and works great. others say why change something that works perfectly well and has been better(in my eyes as well as many others) than all the competition out there. it is still thought of as the best race fork out there but hasnt changed in 4 years, i say props to rock shox for being so far ahead of everyone out there in 2006. i would still buy a boxxer over everything else for my race bike next year if i was to need a new fork. but, good new for all you guys, the current "black box" kit thats one Greg Minnaars and Sams and all them guys steeds is going to blow you away from what i heard from greg before he flew off to MSA. Apparently it makes all the other current forks out there feel like a dog pile. i cant wait:biggrin:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yea, i agree, since 2006 boxxers have been the same. some say that is a bad thing because its "old" technology. if i remember correctly, all the 888 fan boys out there were up in arms because marzocchi threw out the rc2x damper for a new single cartrige damper and that was a "bad move" but hey, it was new tech and works great.
No, I think they saying it's a bad thing because they use the same stanchion diameter as 1998 and every other manufacturer has progressed past this. Damping technology doesn't really advance all that fast, and internally if it works well, there's no point in doing any major internal modifications, but the biggest single improvement in the industry was taking good technology (shimmed damper) and putting it in the bomber chassi. Marzocchi had already invented and used all of the technologies that they put in the first bombers, but the chassi is what made it all work. This is not to say the RS chassi doesn't "work", but the other guys have moved on with 34-40mm stanchions, well above the size that RS uses. Better tracking/steering/lateral rigidity, etc. The change was due a long time ago, but delaying a "bigger" boxxer for another year just gives everyone else the chance to come out with something that is even better.

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
No, I think they saying it's a bad thing because they use the same stanchion diameter as 1998 and every other manufacturer has progressed past this. Damping technology doesn't really advance all that fast, and internally if it works well, there's no point in doing any major internal modifications, but the biggest single improvement in the industry was taking good technology (shimmed damper) and putting it in the bomber chassi. Marzocchi had already invented and used all of the technologies that they put in the first bombers, but the chassi is what made it all work. This is not to say the RS chassi doesn't "work", but the other guys have moved on with 34-40mm stanchions, well above the size that RS uses. Better tracking/steering/lateral rigidity, etc. The change was due a long time ago, but delaying a "bigger" boxxer for another year just gives everyone else the chance to come out with something that is even better.
But mate, do the stanchions really need to be bigger? I weight 13 stone or 182lbs, and 6'6 so Im quite heavy on the bike.. But i have never felt them flex... We mainly ride roots and rocks here and some big jump lines and they still dont flex..

I don't understand how people say they flex?? LOL am i so bad that they dont do it for me?? LOL :bonk:

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
6'6 and your only 186 pounds....go eat something damn. He's just saying get with the times rockshox. They gave the Totem 40mm stanctions why not give the boxxer 35?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Same design as 08, new colors. The Blackbox stuff is still having kinks worked out and may go into production for 2010. It also may not be called Boxxer...
...to be replaced by the Testarossa...?

Ferrari 512 Boxer Berlinetta:

:biggrin:

...hmmmm... the "Rock Shox Testarossa"... cryptic to the uninitiated gear-head, yet smooth and refreshing to the avg. DH mountainbiker... with a hoppy/malt finish...

Delicious!

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
But mate, do the stanchions really need to be bigger? I weight 13 stone or 182lbs, and 6'6 so Im quite heavy on the bike.. But i have never felt them flex... We mainly ride roots and rocks here and some big jump lines and they still dont flex..

I don't understand how people say they flex?? LOL am i so bad that they dont do it for me?? LOL :bonk:
Never had a problem either. I´m impressed by it´s function, durability and weight. Changing chassi too often is just trouble for the privateer looking for spare parts.
Thank you very much for that RS/SRAM.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i installed the 09 team last week onto a customers bike...i usually don't like boxxers, but they feel amazing for some reason. just leaps and bounds over the 08's

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

Ride a 888 or a 40 then go ride a Boxxer with some really wide 30" bars for leverage and then come back and say they don't flex.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Changing chassi too often is just trouble for the privateer looking for spare parts.
And if they weren't using the same-size/under-sized stanchions for 10+ years, that would make sense.

Why do you need so many spare parts anyways?

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
35 and 40 stanchions look badass and this is the most important reason to change Boxxer's design. :rockout:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
three years, going for 4 with the same design? I mean, they've changed the lowers and done minor ajustments in the internals, but essentially the 08 boxxer and now the 09, will be the same as the 06... I want to see change.... soon! haha
Buyers like you are part of the reason why the bike industry sucks - technology is overpriced and undertested because consumers want a fresh design and new gimmicks every f'ing year. :plthumbsdown: You really enjoy paying that much to be a beta tester? :crazy:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Buyers like you are part of the reason why the bike industry sucks - technology is overpriced and undertested because consumers want a fresh design and new gimmicks every f'ing year. :plthumbsdown: You really enjoy paying that much to be a beta tester? :crazy:
:cheers:

I can't understand it either why people wants new stuff every year...even when the actual stuff is very good.

Just look at Manitou. The TPC+ was simply great, but they had screw up everything with that SPV non-sense. They could have worked on some other perfectible aspects of the Sherman line, but they had to develop a new damping system to replace a perfectly fine damper because "peoples want newer stuff all the time." :crazy: :rant:

Last edited:
May 30, 2005
A$$pen
:cheers:

I can't understand it either why people wants new stuff every year...even when the actual stuff is very good.

Just look at Manitou. The TPC+ was simply great, but they had screw up everything with that SPV non-sense. They could have worked on some other perfectible aspects of the Sherman line, but they had to develop a new damping system to replace a perfectly fine damper because "peoples want newer stuff all the time." :crazy: :rant:
Just look at '08 888s...

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Forks can be stiff as they want but wouldn't you still be prone to flex from your wheels?, Or maybe we need 30mm thick spokes too?

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
the red looks nice, though i think alot of people will end up painting there. black was neutral imo. but i thought they would of atleast chucked in the motion control (i know its not as easy as just "chucking it in") but i think there needs to be more adjustability with the fork. it was one of the reasons i went for totems, the adjustability is amazing.
as for the stanchions i dont think they need to be bigger, though i am a smaller rider and wouldnt be prone to flexing happening as much.
cant wait to see when they bring out the new blackbox stuff

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I love how boxxers are too flexy for limp wristed internet riders when
huge guys like Peat and Rennie have been murdering courses for years on them.
I wonder if Rennie and Peat prefer the fatter stanchions, I wonder if they asked for them.
There's no way Boxxers give me as much confidence as 40s,888s or my Kowas, and I'm only 67kg and ride like sh1te. They do feel great, don't get me wrong, just not as sure footed.
Just because current is good, doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Fatter might be worse for stiction.
Possibly they're only experimenting with it for more space for air springs n things.
This is just to rev up UDI

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
And if they weren't using the same-size/under-sized stanchions for 10+ years, that would make sense.

Why do you need so many spare parts anyways?
I see your point. Maybe my post was contradictive. What I meant was, improving skills is sometimes equal with sacrificing parts.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Ride a 888 or a 40 then go ride a Boxxer with some really wide 30" bars for leverage and then come back and say they don't flex.
LOL the fork i had before my boxxers was 888, behaved exactly the same as the boxxer..(not damping wise).. And i don't like 40's so i have never had a long period on them!

And why do you need that wide bars?? bit new school for me!:crazy:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
And why do you need that wide bars?? bit new school for me!:crazy:
I think he meant so you had good leverage to exagerate the feeling.
Most forks with correct sag will be using at least 2"+ travel most of the time, two 32mm stanchions 6" long can't be to much less stiff than 35mm tubes. Placebo or truth? Every little performance gain helps, so even if it's small, it is still an improvement. Technological improvements will be getting smaller and smaller as time goes by. What is real and what is myth or marketing is for the buyer to decide.