Quantcast

new 2010 Boxxer Team or well maintained 2008 Fox 40 RC2

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I hate these questions, but I feel compelled to ask. I'm considering buying a new bike. I have an option to buy a used one, in great shape with slightly better specs on paper. But basically, it comes down to the forks (yes plural, given that I'm choosing between two models).

The new bike has a 2010 Boxxer Race, and the used bike is from 2008 and has Fox 40 RC2s. Assuming the used fork is in good shape, is the performance and adjustability of the 40 that much better than the 2010 Boxxer Race? I haven't raced before, but I'd like to get into some local citizen races next summer. But typically I'm a set and forget kinda guy, though I don't shy away from doing regular maintenance...

so... your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
the boxxer actually has more adjustment than the 40. quite a bit more.

fox 40 = high/low speed compression and rebound
2010 boxxer team = high/low speed compression, high/low speed rebound, and bottom out adjustment

the 2010 boxxer is lighter as well and if you need new springs it won't cost you a fortune.

both good forks though. tough call.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Typically fellow monkies take my advice without any explaining because I am always right.

The Boxxer Race is nothing to write home about, it is basically a 2006-2009 with larger upper tubes. The Motion Control is pretty good but the rebound is crap(I am sure they did not fix it, SHIMZMZZ not a orfice). With that being said I am sure it will suffer from the same problems as the old Boxxer, sit low in it's travel and have very inconsistant rebound.

If it was a Boxxer Team I wouldn't even consider the Fox 40

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:stupid:

pretty much basically. The fox hasn't changed vastly since 2006 (many minor tweaks though). The 2008 isn't a significant downgrade from the 2010. The Boxxer race is not nearly as good a fork as the Team is.

Basically, you have a used pro level fork and a new entry level fork. Is the shiny parts worth the downgrade?