Quantcast

New, 2010 Glory freeride build

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Hi Guys,
my frame has just arrived. It looks really good :)
However, factory, somehow, managed to build S size frame 150g heavier than Nate's and ekipper's M size frames?! I hope no one left a wrench in downtube...

Anyway, I started building it yesterday.
This is how it's gonna be speced.

FRAME Glory DH S frame, dropout, shock
REAR AXLE new Giant Alu axle
HEADSET new FSA 1,5"-1,125" headset (108g) lite blue
FORK 2010 RS Totem Solo Air 1,5"-1,125" white
SHOCK Fox RC4 v Manitou Evolver ISX 6 Air
HANDLEBAR 31.8 Gravity Carbon 710mm 25mm rise
STEM Pro FSR FR/DH 50mm black
SEAT POST Giant Connect SL CF
SEAT CLAMP Hope seat clamp QR black
SADDLE Tioga MC Lite Ti black
PEDALS Syncros Traverse AM black
SHIFTERS Sram X-9 Trigger
CHAIN DEVICE new e13 LG1+ 40t
REAR MECH Sram X.9 short
BRAKES Avid Elixir CR Carbon
BRAKE LEVER Avid Elixir CR Carbon
CASSETTE Shimano SLX 11-18t
CHAIN KMC X9 SL gold
CRANKS Saint 815 165/83
BOTTOM BRACKET Saint
CHAINWHEEL E13 38t
RIMS Dartmoor Raider 32 black (local, Polish brand)
HUBS Hope Pro II black
SPOKES DT Competition black with black, alu teflon nipples
TYRES Maxxis Minion DHF/R 2.35 2ply
INNERTUBES Maxxis FlyWeight 26"

I am still waiting for brakes, rear mech, shifter (+matchmaker), stem, seatpost tires and tubes.

Set of wheels weighs 2010g. I hope Dartmoor rims will last more than few days in mountains.

Complete bike will be around 15,6kg (34,40lbs) with RC4. I hope I will get Evolver as a second shock. The weight will drop to ca. 15,10kg, then.

Headtube/fork looks a little bit weight. Like it was bent backwards. But, I think it's just a picture. It doesn't look very steep for me, though.

I will post more pics when more parts arrive :)

PS1. BB height 355mm (13,97") with Larsens, head angle 65*

Attachments

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
More info guys... BB height with Larsen tires is 355mm (13,97") and head angle 65*. So, not that bad :)

Last edited:

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
how tall are you? Im 5' 8" and I typically ride 22" effective TT's but would like something a bit bigger for my first real DH bike. the medium size is way too much of a step up and I am curious how you ended up on the small.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am 5'8" as well.
I have been alway riding Giant bikes in S size. Except my first Glory, which was XS... It was too short. Then, I moved to 2008 Glory (FR). I was good. There is small lenght difference between this bike and my previous ride.
I will measure it, once it's completed.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Sounds good. I figure that I won't really miss a half inch that I would get by going with the 303RDH or TR450 but the price difference is pretty significant.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
how tall are you? Im 5' 8" and I typically ride 22" effective TT's but would like something a bit bigger for my first real DH bike. the medium size is way too much of a step up and I am curious how you ended up on the small.
I'm 5'8" also and the small seems too small to me. I spent a day riding the 2010 Glory at Keystone and the medium fit me very well, and even seemed a bit smaller than my numerous other medium DH frames I've raced over the years.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Scott and frango, what inseam do you guys have? I have shorter legs so I have targeted about a 23" tt as being what I think I would be comfortable on going up to. the jump of 21.9" to 23.8" just seems ridiculous.

Scott - I gather you ride a medium 303R?

Jul 8, 2009
Just a side note boys. The Small 2010 has roughly the same cockpit length as the 2006-09 medium. As far as I know the XS stayed the same and the medium, as you guys well know got streched out for us 6' tall guys that hoover in no mans land on the old glorys.

My frame will be arriving by the 1st week of Nov. Similar build to Natedog. I want to try to get it down to 32lbs. Just for sh!ts and giggles, then put the real world kit back on. I will be very pleased with a honest 37lbs bike.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have just installed rear mech, chain, rotors and shorten this crappy seatpost ;)

Chain has to be shorten, as well. But I have to check max suspension compresion to make it right lenght. I will set e13 properely, then.

The seatpost is 300mm, now. Probably has to be cut another 5cm. Seatpost goes nearly 15cm into the frame, so with min. insert 80mm, I will still have about 6cm of adjustment :)

Attachments

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
think you could take a couple measurements of that small? curious what the real effective tt is the way you have it and what the reach would be. the reach looks really short. they are great looking frames, enjoy the rest of your build.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
OK, I will do it, when get to the office, today :)

edit1:
effective TT is 55cm - 21,65" and reach ca. 38-39cm - 14,96-15,35"

I will try to measure stack, as well.

edit2:
Nate, ekipper, can You tell me how did You set LG1+? I think I have to turn it a little bit couter clockwise to have top slider in right possition, but then, bottom part seems to be quite far from chainstay. I have the backplate set in Wide position.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure that's gonna make a sick freeride bike with that head angle!

I kid, I kid... Seriously though, nice bike.

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
That looks like a nice build. I am doing the same thing with a totem fork. I cannot wait for it to get here. I am waiting to hear how it rides with that set up. I will be putting a Saint dual ring 22/36 crank on it so I can climb it to most of the trails I ride.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It's not even finished ;)
Wait till it's done and I take some pics a in studio :)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have just intalled 400lbs steel Fox spring. It gave 22mm of SAG which is roughly 31%. And I was in casual cloths. So, no helmet, bike shoes, DH sorts, pads and chest armour.
I think I will keep it...
What do You think, guys?

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
I have just intalled 400lbs steel Fox spring. It gave 22mm of SAG which is roughly 31%. And I was in casual cloths. So, no helmet, bike shoes, DH sorts, pads and chest armour.
I think I will keep it...
What do You think, guys?
For reference I weigh 165 with gear and I was a little shy of 25% sag with a 450 lb. spring. I'm going to try a 400 lb. And see if that isn't closer to 33%.

I'm sure that your measured sag will be close to spot on with gear.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, my new, 2010 Glory "freeride" is almost done :)
I have cancelled my order at MerlinCycles for Avid Elixir CR Carbon brakes after 2 weeks waiting w/o precise ETD from the shop :|
I bought regular Elixirs CR locally. I'm gonna try to get carbon levers later ;)
Stem hasn't arrive, yet, so what You can see on pics, is just a stem, which allowed me to assemble the bike.
Giant Connect SL carbon seatpost is on the way.
As You can see, complete bike wieghs 15,86kg so just under 35lbs (34,93 to be exact). I think I am going to shave about 100g by cutting steerer and assembling the rest of planned components :) So, 15,75kg (34,69lbs).
It makes 150g more than I expected... donno why :D

At least one tip for future builders.
In order to avoid rear brake cable damage, You can miss bottom cable mount, pass cable between bottom link and BB tube, then, if You have Elixirs with moving banjo, use middle mount on the left chainstay and end at the calipper.
This is very smooth and much saver way to have the cable attached. I check lenght growth at full suspension compression and it's not and issue.
The only thing You have to do, is to protect frame and cable here and there from scratching.

Rear mech cable is a different story... I wanted to keep it inside the chainstay, so I'm just going to protect it with nice, black, 1mm wall, tube I found at the gardening shop. It's not installed yet, but as soon as it is, I will shop some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Hi Guys,
PRO stem arrived yesterday. The best word that discribes it is "simple". It's black matt with some barely visible satin graphcs. It has pretty narrow front cap/plate, about 40mm on the line of bolts. Bolts are steel, but... it's light. It's 136g! And local retail is 3x lower that Thomson 4x. I doubt it's 3 times worse.

So, I can ride my new Glory, finally. Unfortunatelly, it's ugly autumn, here :| Got to wait for some dry and warm days. Or maybe I will manage to go on French/Italian coast during winter :)

With proper stem and cut steerer, weight went down to 15,74kg (34,67lbs), already. With CF seatpost, some titanium bolts I ordered and KCNC QR seat clamp I should shave another 80-100g and that's it. No more pimpin' :D

How do You like it? Any suggestions?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks much cooler than I thought even though I think the TW guys are really stupid with this color sheme while every person I've talked to thinks that the 01 paint looks much better.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Well, I couldn't wait more, a friend of mine had free studio so, we took some pics of my Glory :)

As I already wrote, it is 15,74kg (34,67lbs) as it stands. Giant CF seatpost, Alligator WindCutter rotors and KCNC seatpost QR clamp are on the way. I have just bought caliper and rotor Ti bolts. I think the bike will lose at least 100g and, I swear, I don't put any jewelery on it more :D

As soon as I get angle pic, I will post it :)

PS. front hose look lame, but I think I'm gonna keep it as it is ;) Just for safety

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, my buddy had a while to work on another pic of my bike. Here it is :)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
looks way to clean! stop taking pics of it and go ride the damn thing!!!

i cant wait to get my team on these for 2010.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Hi Guys,
so, it was really nice day, yesterday and I finally managed to take my Glory for a ride :)
There are not many places to ride, where I live, but there is one tiny hill where we dig. There are some bumps, doubles, waves, tiny step downs, etc.

What I liked:
The bike is even more beautiful in reality, everyone said ;)

It's really light when You pedal. You can easily accelerate.

It pops, indeed :) I could pull it in the air noticeably easier then previous Glory.

What I didn't:
I wanted to set the suspension, so I turned all adjustments out. I was expecting it would bounce like a balloon... Well, no :| Is the shock factory tuned for the frame so it can't be set that way?

The fork - it's not Giant's fault, but... I has very tight bushings. So, it's not that sensitive as 66... it will never be, I think. The good thing, there is no play, yet ;) But, again, all the adjustment out, just 50 PSI in and it's sooo slooow :| I hope it will get better after few km/miles.

The seatpost - I got the same seatpost as Nate did
but I couldn't use it. Fortunately I had second one in the toolbox. Some guy at the factory put grease between parts of the seatpost head and no matter how strong you'd tighten it, you could change the angle of the saddle :| Moreover, the seat rails moved on the beds(?) I cleaned the head from grease and it's better now, but the saddle still moves.
Nate, did You have any of those problems?
If I don't solve it, I think I will go for light 2 bolt seatpost. Like Thomson or something. Any suggestions?

bigjimmy

Chimp
Aug 23, 2009
get someone to take a pic of you riding it. heaps better than studio photo's.

(and it shows it actually gets ridden)

Nozzes

Chimp
Mar 10, 2009
Nice looking bike with great weight!
But if you went for a light build,why Saint cranks?Race Face Atlas FR (83mm) would be lighter and still very strong...cheaper,too!
That rims,what's the widht and weight?Never heard about them!
And the Pro FR-S stem...I've got one,on my Trek Session, and it's great:light,very cheap,and it works! ...just if every component was like this...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Nice looking bike with great weight!
But if you went for a light build,why Saint cranks?Race Face Atlas FR (83mm) would be lighter and still very strong...cheaper,too!
That rims,what's the widht and weight?Never heard about them!
And the Pro FR-S stem...I've got one,on my Trek Session, and it's great:light,very cheap,and it works! ...just if every component was like this...
The weight should be on the dartmoor site. They are very lightweight rims. As for Atlas FR what's the differance with the new saints? Under 100g while in some places they are cheaper than RF.