Quantcast

New 26" steel frame?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Ok, well I just sold my identit dr jekyll, and I want to dirt jump again, its been about 2 or 3 weeks from the last time i went out dirt jumping because of my screwed up fork. I also just picked up a 2002 dj1 off a friend of mine. I'm going to put it down to 80mm of travel, and now i just need a new frame to go along with it.

I was looking at the Atomlab trailpimp frame. it seems pretty nice, and its cool looking. I was also looking at the .243 sl frame. A buddy of mine has a steelhead and i like how that one rides, but i want to get something a little different.

I want to keep the weight down, I know that's hard to do with a steel frame, but I was thinking 6.5 pounds is the most i would want to do. and I don't want to get anything too expensive($600 retail).

Any suggestions on what I should get?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I love the look of the Evil D.O.C. when you guys post what you suggest. could you give a reason why I should go with that frame? It just makes it easier becuase I'd know why I would be choosing a frame, rather than just picking one because people tell me to. Thanks.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
yep, the geometry is stickest trickest and they said the steel they used on the dropouts, headtube, and chainstays is 135% stronger than normal cromoly bikes, so breakage is probably never going to be an issue, ever, and for street riding you could even slap a 3.0 Gazzi on there and be the coolest kid in school, I wish i was that cool

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
offdawalley said:
yep, the geometry is stickest trickest and they said the steel they used on the dropouts, headtube, and chainstays is 135% stronger than normal cromoly bikes, so breakage is probably never going to be an issue, ever, and for street riding you could even slap a 3.0 Gazzi on there and be the coolest kid in school, I wish i was that cool
FYI the biggest tire you can mount on it is 2.35

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
[SPAM]i've got a brand new, in the box, cortina 4130 Triton DS frame i'm selling. great for djs and dual slalom. it's definitely a little out of the ordinary, as far as US steel frames go and relatively inexpensive.

here's a pic of my last one before i built it up:

[/SPAM]

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
corey_dcstreet said:
[SPAM]i've got a brand new, in the box, cortina 4130 Triton DS frame i'm selling. great for djs and dual slalom. it's definitely a little out of the ordinary, as far as US steel frames go and relatively inexpensive.

here's a pic of my last one before i built it up:

[/SPAM]
Maybe spam, but a good option. I had a Cortina 4130 and liked it just fine. Construction was good, ride and geo were solid. I was no blown away by anything in particular but it's pretty cheap and just does the job.

Jack_L

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
thx corey! :D

uduff, I thought I remember the doc frame could take a 3.0" tire, but by the looks of it you will have to run the drop outs further back because my tires rub on the SEATSTAYS when the dropouts are set at less than 16". And YEP those are WTB weirwolf tires from my old bike; I think maxxis tires shoulld fit fine :thumb: Let's see some more build pics in the other DOC thread :-)

:)

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
yeah, at the link posted on the first page it says it only fits 3.0s when the dropouts are all the way back, and at the shortest position (15.75) it fits like 2.35, its still sickest of the trickest bikes though, and that black one is even sicker tricker

heyzues

Chimp
Jul 26, 2004
this is my .243 sl all said and done. love the bike. It manuals easy and rides in the park awesome. It felt as awesome on the first ride. Haven't had a chance to hit any dirt jumps yet but once the snow melts i will be out there.