Quantcast

New 661 evo pads

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

Just got my hands on a pair. No rides on them, although i did take a hammer to my knees. They do work, but they are ALOT different than normal plastic pads, you feel the impact alot more, to the point of almost kind of hurting. No matter how much harder you though it only is slightly bothersome. Still not sold on the things, we will see after a couple rides.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Cool, im looking at them too. But not so sure on the D3o stuff lets get a review after some rides. How's the fit and everything?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I was looking at getting a pair for dirt jumping or riding street. I currently don't ride anything while doing either (except helmet and gloves) but I thought those might be nice to take the edge off in a crash. I have knee/shin guards but they are too bulky for urban/jumping. I'm looking forward to a review.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I received mine today and did exactly the same with a hammer. I was hoping they would react the way they did to the guy in the demo videos who got hit in the head with a shovel. They didn't harden as much as I thought they would. I consider it just a foam on steroids and not much of a replacement for plastic pads. I've yet to ride with them so we'll see how it goes.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Also interested to see how they feel after a couple of rides. I've recently switched to some Kyle Straits, and wouldn't really be comfortable with any 'less' protection...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
that's a little bit disappointing, but hopefully they work out. do they have less material on them than the kyle straits, or pretty much the same amount of foam? loren, creek this weekend.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
perhaps the space-age material has speed sensitive vavling and will stiffen more under harder hits. get a buddy to whack the knees harder w/ a bigger hammer and compare.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've been watching those things. I think they would be better in like a hip pad or something, but not a knee. I'm especially interested to see how they do sliding down a rock face or even a street. I think if they had a fat pad under them they'd be more feasible, but then why not just a hard cap?
Shinpads maybe?
I was talkin to Jason at 661 and told him he should make them into ball caps for the BMXicans who refuse to wear helmets! But you wouldn't be able to tell them or they wouldn't wear the hat, either! Silly kids...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hmmm.....mine should be shipping today. Gotta remember though guys, these are race pads, not free-ride gear. Sounds a bit disappointing though that they don't harden up as much as they were touted to.
I think they do, but just very locally. I'm thinking everyone was expecting the whole evo insert to magically harden up...like Batman's cape.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
that's a little bit disappointing, but hopefully they work out. do they have less material on them than the kyle straits, or pretty much the same amount of foam? loren, creek this weekend.
They are a little less material than the straits, we'll see how they work down in SC.
I'm down to hit the creak sunday morning, you should come down to SC tomaro morning with us

perhaps the space-age material has speed sensitive vavling and will stiffen more under harder hits. get a buddy to whack the knees harder w/ a bigger hammer and compare.
Thats what i was kind of thinking, i mean no matter how hard i hit it was only a little uncomfortable, I mean lets not forget that the stuff is used in a beanie that is certified as a snowboarding lid

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i haven't read the supporting propaganda on the stuff, but it sounds like the gell functions as a non-newtonian liquid, kinda like when you mix cornstarch and water - the sutff is just a viscous, but fluid goo, but when you grab a handfull and squeeze it, it becomes firm and solid (insert joke here). mythbusters used it as an example on an episode they did to test myths about how ninjas walked on water. i'm sure that is on youtube somewhere. they filled a tub with water and cornstarch and adam was able to walk across it if he moved his feet fast enough, but when he stood still in it, he sank. the pressure from the steps solidified the goo for a jiffy, just long enough to support him taking another step. i think this stuff is the same concept.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That's dumb...ninjas walked on water cuz they were ninjas...Jesus was a ninja, too. Think about it...sandals and robes...it's all making sense now...A ninja from the future...
:)

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I think that the EVO stuff should have a thin (at least) hard shell over the EVO. I don't see those doing a thing for a sharp rock impact.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Damn, that's what I don't want them to do, slide down and let me knee get scraped. My elbow pads slide down to my wrists all the time and I'm going to put some beads of silicone on it so it sticks better.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
My elbow pads slide down to my wrists all the time and I'm going to put some beads of silicone on it so it sticks better.
or pulls off your hair as it slides down. i'm curious to see if anyone complains about the pads sliding down, i haven't heard anyone else mention that as being an issue. i agree that 661 should put something hard on the surface of the pad, a sharp stick or rock could potentially slice through the material. also, i'm assuming that the ability to dampen impacts is better if the impact is spread over the surface of the pad, so wouldn't the tip of a rock cause some damage?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
No go on the pads, the D3O tore a bit, I pulled D3O out to wash them and noticed that they are starting to tear. I'm going back to my tomcats.

mikemikemike

Chimp
Feb 8, 2009
i use veggie shin guards
kyle straight knee pads
evo elbow pads

the elbow ones are definetely worth getting, they r not as protective as others but are a lot more comfortable and have a lot more movement in them
the kyle straight knee guards are really comfortable and work well with the veggie shin guards, i use the separate ones as their is a lot more movement. All of the kit there is definetely worth the money
but i wouldn't bother getting evo knee and shin guards as they cost more and arnt that much different

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
yeah... rocks... anyone had a chance or back luck to test evo knee pads on rocks? What is the material that covers a pad? rip-stop nylon? cordura? kevlar?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
yeah... rocks... anyone had a chance or back luck to test evo knee pads on rocks? What is the material that covers a pad? rip-stop nylon? cordura? kevlar?
friend had some and slid around alot on some rocks this season with them, seemed to hold up OK but his knees were hurting alot after every crash

i think its a cool system but it doesn't absorb the impact enough, id take my kyle straits anyday

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I was curious about them myself, but think I'll stick to my Kyle Straits for now. They have held up VERY well to almost 2 years of riding, and I haven't even begun to tear them yet.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've been thinking about a set of the DH knees and XC elbows for riding locally, which is more all-mountain with more pedally downhill sections. Full on padding is just a bit much around here. I think it would also be a great setup for Moab, especially LPS, but for Snowshoe, Keystone, and Whiteface, I definitely would prefer all of my Dainese stuff.

I was curious about them myself, but think I'll stick to my Kyle Straits for now. They have held up VERY well to almost 2 years of riding, and I haven't even begun to tear them yet.
Another vote for Kyle Straits. Over 3 years and still going strong. Saved my knee from a deemax thru axle at speed and only slightly tore the fabric. Although once the axle was deflected it went thru my lower leg and then 40 stitches later.......:biggrin:

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Got a set of Kyle Straits this winter, no big crashes yet. But there ok for the kinda of XC riding I do. Only slightly annoying spinning, but well worth having on for the down runs.

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
Love the Kyle Straits. They also saved my knees a couple of times. Some times I noticed, like when going way too fast on a slippery bridge and sliding all the way to the end on my side and others I didn't as I see some scratches I don't remember making! They never slid down and don't bother me at all while cycling.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Was just about to buy some, glad I read this thread first! I'll stick to my fox knee/shins for the time being.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Has anyone tried the Race Face ones - the knee only DJ types?
I'm thinking of those if I ever wanted to go for a knee only rather than my Race Face FR knee/shinnies.