Quantcast

New addition to our family

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Since moving into the new house both my 12 year old dog Commit and 18 year old cat have died. My kids didn't take their deaths very well so I decided that we needed a new little pooch running around.

Meet our new buddy Trek! He is an 8 week old Silver Lab. He has been a great addition to the family and the kids are absolutely in love with him. My nights have been tough but last night Trek gave me a break and slept 5 hours straight. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

I really hope he becomes a trail dog - here he is helping me build a back yard jump

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Puppies are so much better when they belong to somebody else and you can get a full night's sleep.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have never seen a lab that makes a good trail dog. They are too goofy, big pawed, and lack endurance. They will kill themselves to keep up with you. I have a black one and I wanted her to be a trail dog too.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I guess you have never been on a XC ride?

I hunt with mine. But laying in a blind and going after some ducks or walking for pheasants aren't the same as running full speed for a 10 mile ride either.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I guess you have never been on a XC ride?

I hunt with mine. But laying in a blind and going after some ducks or walking for pheasants aren't the same as running full speed for a 10 mile ride either.
yes on the first part.

and yes on the second part.

must have been all the thin air in colorado they were running around in.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I have never seen a lab that makes a good trail dog. They are too goofy, big pawed, and lack endurance. They will kill themselves to keep up with you. I have a black one and I wanted her to be a trail dog too.
i'll cosign that, my 100lbs hairbaby is blown after 10 minutes of running around playing fetch. He's perfect for sleeping and eating and swimming.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i agree. they are good at being lazy most of the time though.

no rescue. no care

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

We all know Mancil got a lab for their soft mouths and affinity to peanut-butter.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Drexel passed in July and I told the wife we weren't getting a new dog until she graduates from college in the spring. She drives an 1hr 10min one way to the college. She's in her final semester with a 4.0 and I am beginning to weaken, but man they are expensive. Just don't need the extra cost right now, but I'm weakening.

Been looking at the local shelters, Brother Wolf https://www.bwar.org/ and Asheville's Charlies Angels http://www.wncanimalrescue.org/ .

No time to potty train a mutt, but have never had any dog that wasn't raised from a pup. Pretty scary prospect of taking in an animal that already has it's own personality and habits, especially with 8 & 10 year old girls. I don't trust a dog I didn't raise not to bite.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Drexel passed in July and I told the wife we weren't getting a new dog until she graduates from college in the spring. She drives an 1hr 10min one way to the college. She's in her final semester with a 4.0 and I am beginning to weaken, but man they are expensive. Just don't need the extra cost right now, but I'm weakening.

Been looking at the local shelters, Brother Wolf https://www.bwar.org/ and Asheville's Charlies Angels http://www.wncanimalrescue.org/ .

No time to potty train a mutt, but have never had any dog that wasn't raised from a pup. Pretty scary prospect of taking in an animal that already has it's own personality and habits, especially with 8 & 10 year old girls. I don't trust a dog I didn't raise not to bite.
I'm with you it's alot to think about - after comit died I swore I wouldn't have another dog. But now that I'm past that puppy stage I'm thankful I did. Never had a shelter dog so I can't speak to that but I know alot of people that have had great luck.

Good luck