Quantcast

New Additions

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I have been putting in a lot of time lately into my backyard, and wanted you guys to see what is there. It might not look like much, but i am a solo digger/builder, so things go really slow with only one shovel doing the work. Anyway, onto the photos:

Finished Screwing in 72 2X4's

Another Angle

Wallride with dirt

Another angle

Landing

Roll-in

Looking down roll-in

Jump and wallride

Height (6' tall)

Roll-in and landing

End of Wallride to trick jump

And i got Wombolts and new grips for my bike. I love how rigid these cranks are, and i cant even tell that the cranks are 180mm

Last edited:

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
crazy!
that would be a sick set-up no-matter where it is.
i did think of this though...
water is just going to fill into that little pool after the roll-in....
you should make some sort of drainage if you don't want that to be a mud hole..

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Im just so glad my parents let me do this to their backyard. Its is going to suck when i have to take it all down when i leave for college though.

Ya, i will definately get some action shots. I have been told i get close to 6 feet off the lip so thats about 12 feet off the ground. And to aeffertz living in New Mexico, we dont get much rain until the heavy south west rains in august. Then i just crack out the old bucket and bail everything out. It also gets the clay nice and wet and makes it easy to get the trail extremely smooth.

Last edited:

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
oh really?
sweetness.
i didn't know about the whole rain deal, just seemed like it would... haha.
oh yeah! im diggin' your bike, dude! that is a nice purple.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
What do you mean it might not look like much? That's like a million times better than most every backyard. Especially back yards with pump tracks. Haha.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Redtaco I did a ton of google sketchups of different possiblities for the wallride. It was actually relatively difficult to get the angle to be where i wanted it to be. To much trigonometry and angles for my head. But once i figured out the two radii i just used some string and a pencil at the correct radius and drew in the lines and cut it with a jig saw.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.:cheers:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Very very nice. Wicked clean. That's a perfect backyard setup with the spacing and everything. Can't wait to see some actions shots or even some vid of it in use.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
ya, i will get action shots/videos up in a while. It wont be for a couple weeks as i am going backpacking in wyoming. And yes, i was a little skeptical at first as to how much i would be able to fit in there (the entire lot is 1/3 of an acre) but i was pleasantly surprised at how much fun that little area could be.
And seeing as i live in a county where all the land that isnt developed has explosives testing performed on it, i was forced to build here. But when i go to college (maybe California State Humboldt) i hope to become friends with some of the locals and help build at some of their trails.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Basikbiker I made this a table for two reasons 1. you would be surprised how scary it is rolling down a 12 or 13 foot roll in straight into that big of a jump that is only about 20 feet away from the bottom of the roll in (at least for me, but i am a pansy) and 2. I wanted a jump i can start to learn spin tricks on with out fear of coming up short. These might not seem like good reasons to you, but these were the purposes of a table.

Bent^biker I only wish that one day i would have even half the building skill that zach has. But yes, that would be awesome

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
wow that looks so nice! the dirt looks like its great quality, wish it was lke that in my backyard.
is the rollin sturdy?

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
lachy_mtb Ya, it is good old New Mexico clay. Unfortunately :nopity:, i live 10 miles away from an extinct volcanoe which means that about every 5 feet, i hit a huge rock that weighs what im guessing is close to 250 or 300 pounds, seeing as i have broken 7 shovels from trying to lever them out. But the actual dirt is amazing when it is not dusty. And yes, the rollin has all 4 posts put 2 feet in the ground, cemented in place, with 2 of the posts surrounded by the huge rocks i was talking about. And since i know that triangles are sturdy because they cant move, i constantly used this in the construction.:lighten: