Quantcast

New and Improved 29er Photo Gallery Thread

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well the F' with it, I can't seem to merge the posts to get them to work, and since Stinkyboy is on an undisclosed term of absence, here's a new and Improved 29er Photo Gallery Thread for you to show off your goods and/or other people's 29ers that you think deserve showing off.

I'll start with a few:

So fire away Monkeys and in the meantime I'll see how I can get your previous posts moved over to this thread.

Cheers,

Your friendly 29er Forum Moderator, MMcG

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8s ride - but he might have a new one by now - not sure

bcd's badass DHin 29er Machine!!!

BikeGeeks beauteous Inbred 29er

Sickbullit's former Waltworks 29er - sold it however

SSMikes' Haro Mary - SWEET!

Drevil's Matt Chester Dream Machine - Simply Stunning and Purely functional!!

N8s latest ride - is it temporary or full time N8??

Well I think that captures most of the bikes in those other threads, so who will be the first to add a new one??

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
MMcG said:
Nice bikes!

Diggin both of them.

Tell me more about those bars and brake levers on the Karate Monkey.
Thanks. The bars are the original WTB "dirt drops". They are really comfortable, but since you have to ride in the actual drops all the time I have had to raise the stem a good bit. The stem riser is unsightly to say the least.

The levers are Dia-Compe 987 V's. Designed for tandems with disc's or V-brakes, they pull more cable than a conventional road lever.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
nice drops on the surly.

my brother started with them in 1988 on his
schwinn high seirra and still rides drops only!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tom - so this is your third 29er frame right?

1st a Karate Monkey, and then on to a fisher and now the Niner right?

What size is that EMD and what are some of the things keeping the jury out on it for you??

Can you refresh my memory as to how tall you are and what size frames you rode previous to this EMD??

Thanks.

Mark

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
This year is the 25th anniversary of my wifes and my getting our first mtn. bikes and also getting married. As the 25th is the Silver anniversary nothing says silver to me better than Ti. So in lieu of a couple of rings to celebrate the occasion I commissioned a couple of frames from Scott Quiring. Mine is not done yet as the downtube sent to him was defective but I am out of the game for at least another month due to shoulder surgery so I'm not in a big hurry as long as they are both done up by 9/26 for the big day/surprise. Of course that may end up being the last day we are married when she sees two new bikes at one time but it is a chance I'll have to take.

In case you are wondering, yes those are Om signs on there. She is a certified Iyengar yoga instructor and I thought it would be appropriate! I really like the way the polished designs come through the bead blasted Ti. Subtle and bombproof.

Attachments

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
Is that on or near Webs??
Top of Old Webs. :)

narlus said:
that looks to be a pretty tall front end, esp for a rigid fork. or is the angle of the bike deceiving?
It's on a slight hill, but it is kind of tall. I was a little unsure myself when I first saw it, but it's obvious when you ride it that the two were designed to be together. It rides like a dream.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so N29, do you borrow yr friend's camera too, or did you decide to step up and buy a D70?
Photo by other... no D70 for me yet..... I can't make my lil' Nikon CoolPix do depth of field and colors like that...

splat

Nam I am
OK I'll add my Contributions to this thread .

Titus raxer X ti 29er , I demoped at Pedros fest.

a Salsa Del Niner I demoed at Pedros Fest .

a Van Dessel on display at Pedros fest ( with MBC posing with it )

and MCD's Niner at the 12 Hrs of pats peat race we did

I just wish I had taken a Pic of the Ridgid single speed Carver 96er quoFan Demoed

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
splat said:
I hated it !

My toes hit the front wheel, the wheel base was way too short , I felt crowed on it , and it was a bad climber

I have never been crazy about a soft tail either... either get a hard tail or get a full on squish... the tiny rear suspension seems to do neither job well, in my opinion.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'll post a couple pix of my buddy ncj01's many 29ers on here:

A couple pix of the ever popular Monkey!

Moots Ti beauty..

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A few more.

Rocklobster!

Retrotec!

Ventana - dig the green!

Spicer - sorta the reverse of the retrotec with the swooping Top Tube

Niner bikes RIP 9 - would be my FS of choice if I could afford one

Wolfhound Cycles - Heavy Duty 29er Hardtail - I dig it!

Wily Cycles sloping TT version:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good to see retrotec still making bikes...seeing bob seals racing @ the mt snow NCS back in the 90s was awesome. i wish i had a picture.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
good to see retrotec still making bikes...seeing bob seals racing @ the mt snow NCS back in the 90s was awesome. i wish i had a picture.
I think the 29er thing has probably actually put a jump start into Retrotec (now built by Curt Ingliss - not the original Retrotec guy) and other custom builders. It has also probably helped the business of a bunch of other custom builders or small companies including:

Waltworks
Scott Quiring
Rob Pennell - Badger Cycles
Wily - small company
Willits is back in action now building amazing frames again
Wade at Vulture Cycles out in the PNW
Wolfhound
to a certain extend Carl Strong
Blacksheep Cycles to a certain degree

Etc. etc.

So in that regard, 29ers are a big positive in my estimation.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Saw this online tonight and had to throw it up here.

I like how it looks with the Kelly fork - which has a shorter axle to crown height than most 29er forks. Keeps the front end lower. I like!

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Gotta thank MMcG for putting me in touch with this frame builder Scott Quiring who is a custom frame and bike builder in Michigan and has this production 29er steel frame and its made in the U.S.A. called the Q Ball. I looked around at a lot of different frames but I think this is the best entry level frame to the 29er world that also includes a built in hanger should I ever want to go geary. Granted, I think I am going to love SS but at least I have the option to convert some point down the road.

I considered the new Raleigh XXIX but no hanger and they are virturally impossible to get. The Redline Monocog is same-same. So, I went this route and I am glad that I did. Oh and most importantly, the frame has a built in Bottle Opener!

Specs:
Frame Q Ball Frame Large
Fork Q Stick Fork
Wheels Velocity Wheels with QRs and rear bolt on hub
Headset Ritchey Logic
Brakes Rear Avid BB7
Brakes Front Avid BB7
Brake Levers Avid FR-7
Tires(2) WTB Nano Raptor 2.1"
Cranks Truvativ ISO Flow (32 tooth)
BB Shimano UN-40
Rear Cog 20 tooth
Grips Ritchey True Grips
SeatPost Ritchey Comp 27.2 x 400
Stem Ritchey Comp
Handlebar Ritchey Comp non-rizer
Saddle WTB Speed V Race

On order are Shimano PD-545 pedals, Ritchey bar ends (I don't want to hear it about bar ends - I am getting them and that's final). I think I am going to put Salsa Flip Lock on it and get a second seat post and seat for when I take my daughter trail-a-bike. After selling my Trek, I needed something to pull the trail-a-bike and thus the reasoning to my wife why I needed this bike. I don't think she bought the reasoning but she hasn't left so I think I am cool.

Oh, did I mention how light this bike is? 25 lbs! No more XGruntry for me.

Another week to go before I can start riding again and this is the first thing I am jumping on - oh boy, oh boy, I can't wait.