Quantcast

New at Ellsworth...

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
I got to chatting with a couple of bike shop owners, then visited some virtual booths and saw some interesting stuff from the Ellsworth camp.
I try to keep up with the R&D at Ellsworth every now and then.
As you can see...

http://content.mtbr.com/TRD_12_212crx.aspx

...they are ditching the Id and offering the Epiphany. Ok, whatever...
Then the Distance... why bother, when you have a Truth, an Epiphany AND a Moment, jeeeez !
Why? how? the Distance seems to be a waste of time.
Then, there's the fresh looking Chaos replacing the Joker so as to compete directly with the Heckler. That's a tough order, as Santa Cruz put a platform coil shock on the frame and hit money shot with this bike, period ! Now, for a so-called stepped-up version of the Heckler there's the Nomad... I can't wait to get my leg over one of those and confirm/dispel the hype.
Back to Ellsworth...
The Rogue, keep an eye out on this model, which is basically a revamped version of the 2000 / 2001 Dare. Basically, a simple and solid all-mountain rig that you can pedal.
I speculate that Ellsworth is trying to hold sales by throwing together a traditional style frame until they put the finishing touches on the new Dare. So, although this is a "less expensive looking" version of the trivoid extruded anodized and laser etched triangle that made the Dare so sexy, I can't call it any less capable, just not as pretty, and that's a pity.
It is unfortunate that they've been cutting costs on the Dare frame already into production of the '04s, now reducing it into the butted Rogue frame, but ultimately failing to pass on the savings to their customers. Rogue frame set cost $2,400 ? what's up with that ???
Maybe this effort is a supplemental lifeline supporting the R&D effort which has brought on a completely redesigned Dare that is a drastic departure from the traditional look and that is now offering a flashy single pivot design featuring an internal transmission..
Apparently, tho' not confirmed, I heard that they've signed a partnership with the transmission designer/vendor and will make it a proprietary feature.

I dunno, aside from the new Dare experiment, it seems like they're making a full circle and at this point they are half way around it before realizing that they may be spreading themselves thin (ie, the Distance) rather than focusing on their bread and butter core products using the ICT linkage which has proved to be successful over the years... but what do I know, I'm not the one feeling pressure from Santa Cruz nor Specialized and do have a personal opinion to voice.

I would be interested in commentary from any of you, especially from any who attended InterBike '05 and had a chance to spend time at the Ellsworth booth and schmooze with others in general.

this may be way off the point, and way off the truth, but....

It seems like we are CONSTANTLY coming our with new stuff as a bike industry. Which is great, but look at the prices. We see honda make a proven design in say the cr250 or something, and they tweak it each year, not a complete redesing. And they can sell it for 5,000 or something. A bike cost the same. The difference is that, at least i think, that we are constantly paying for the research and development, so there for the bike manufactures can never get into full production mode so that they can lower the prices. Yeah, i do ride bikes, and I am going to pay however much I need to to get my ride, but honestly guys, can't you step back and say Wow! our prices for full on bike are nearly the same as a dirtbike(for lack of better example).