Quantcast

New Avalanche product

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i'll be all over that if its somewhat affordable, but i somehow doubt it. :/

just sent them an email. hopefully a rough idea of pricing.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That's pretty cool. I could be a pretty sweet way to make a 1/4" shorter shock to tweek a bikes geo.
If the price is reasonable, it could be a fun winter project.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It would be sweet if they had a few different reservoir mounts with different angles that could fit more frames.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats off the chain....now i got another reason to waste more money! i will buy you, oh yes...i will buy you

Last edited:

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I like there thinking. Though I am positive I will totally confuse my self and end up sending it back to them so they can build it for me lol

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It would be sweet if they had a few different reservoir mounts with different angles that could fit more frames.
True, although a cubbie (IFP short-reservior) and a woodie (bladder long-reservior) are in the picture. I'd like to equip my highline with an avy for 7.5-7.75" of travel.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why is Build-it-yourself Ikea furniture a bad thing, and this is wonderful?

I'd much rather trust a professional like Craig to build the shock right, then put it together myself and end up with a shock that not only sucks on dirt, but also kills children that get to close.

This one definitely has me scratching my head.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
well i've just started to educate myself on the ins and outs of stripping and rebuilding shocks. So i'd love to have a kit to play with and see what i can accomplish. For most people where suspension servicing seems to be a black art its not going to interest them but im sure theres a few of us out there that are a little excited about it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I'd much rather trust a professional like Craig to build the shock right, then put it together myself and end up with a shock that not only sucks on dirt, but also kills children that get to close.

If I had gotten this for my 6 pack, I could have resized it myself when I "upgraded" (cracked it) to the RFX, and it would be pretty nice on my highline and I could do some custom-sizing and give it how much travel I want, or go between a few settings and see what I like. Resizing/retuning the shock is nowhere near as expensive as a new shock, but it is still far from cheap. An avalanche is a shock that is going to last you a long time, probably longer than you'll own the bike. Pretty cool to have a kit available so you can resize it yourself and refit it to your next bike.

Better question would be: why hasn't anyone produced a shock that is easily rebuildable and tunable by the end-user? This isn't meant for the guy that sends his fox fork to get "serviced", has a shop install things like new derailers or has a wheelbuilder build wheels for him. This is a natural progression of the product IMO, due to it's longevity and tunability. You can go into a Boxxer Team and WC and play with the shim-stack right? Even if you think your Fox 40 is perfect for you, it's most likely that it's not perfect for every weight rider/degree of agressiveness, if someone goes in there and tunes the shim stack and orofices it's not a guarentee that it will even work better, but heck it's cool to play with and some of the more technical minded people that fit the above description can probably tune it a bit better for their needs.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
anyone that owns a Socom that wants a more slack bike should buy this! Shorter eye to eye is now acheivable at home!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

I agree to a point - but this is a high-end product aimed at a very select market. Ikea is aimed at the average idiot punter, this is not. Personally I reckon it's ****ing cool.

Only one question though - if you don't get enough shims, what do you have to ring up and ask for?

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Just for the record, its spelled coming, not comming like on the Avy homepage. Clay Porter didnt know how to spell it in Hypnosis OR F1RST.

Product looks sick though! :)

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Only one question though - if you don't get enough shims, what do you have to ring up and ask for?
Totally stole my line you prick!

Interesting idea though for sure, I wonder how many suspension e-xperts would be willing to put their money where their mouth is and build one of these from scratch?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I could sell someone my extra disassembled Roco for a bit less than that kit costs just so I don't have to bleed the damn thing again...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
His website just stinks. Call or email him.
indeed
on another note anybody realized he renamed the forks (DHF 7.5 /DHF 8.5)

does that mean more travel only?
or did he finally upgrade them and fix a few of the small design glitches which always kept me frem buying another one of those? :)

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

My thoughts exactly. Plus do I really need something else to tinker with on my bike - life's too short. Send it off, get it serviced, ride it. **** this build/service-it-yourself idea!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I mostly find the fact that dozens of people will get this thing and build some asshat-frankenstein monster of a shock that doesn't actually work because they have no idea what the hell they are doing, and then slag on pre-built shocks calling them garbage and boring and blah blah.

Darwin in action, I hope.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
Craig explained to me that many of his customers are overseas and shipping individual parts is obviously costly. This way shops overseas can buy kits with all the parts they need to re-size shocks. BTW, he was very clear in saying don't buy one of these kits and expect 24/7 technical support! These are for people "who don't need instructions to build a shock".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Craig explained to me that many of his customers are overseas and shipping individual parts is obviously costly. This way shops overseas can buy kits with all the parts they need to re-size shocks. BTW, he was very clear in saying don't buy one of these kits and expect 24/7 technical support! These are for people "who don't need instructions to build a shock".
Bingo. Craig found a very, very niche market. And filled it.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Craig needs to update that site!

I am thinking of buying my buddies DHF8... Has a cracked upper, which Craig said could be fixed for around a few hundred. How much do you think the fork would be worth?