Quantcast

New Baby & Camcorder Question

beamer

Chimp
Sep 13, 2005
Springville, Utah
I'm going to become a dad at the end of the month and am wondering if kids do much in their first year to warrent a camcorder. The wife thinks that it will be pointless for the first year. I'm thinking about making some bike videos (of course in addition to recording the baby). So... do kids do much in the first year?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
www.bensbargains.net has some deals on Canon camcorders right now.

There are better bargain sites out there (that do more deals or get 'em posted faster), but that one is about the cleanest, easiest to read, and doesn't get a ton of spam to filter through.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I dont understand the videotaping of child's first this or that.

1) you would need to follow the kid around with the camera 24/7 to get the crap you crave
2) how often would you watch the videos after the fact?
3) family/friends really dont care when you hold screenings of Juniors first burp

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
luken8r said:
I dont understand the videotaping of child's first this or that.

1) you would need to follow the kid around with the camera 24/7 to get the crap you crave
2) how often would you watch the videos after the fact?
3) family/friends really dont care when you hold screenings of Juniors first burp
Videos should not *ever* be considered to be screened for other people. My wife and I take video for ourselves. 40 years from now we'll be glad we did, methinks.

I wish I could see more video of when I was growing up. Sadly, my mum & dad didn't have a video camera except for a few years when my sis & I were little.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i was able to get video of my son's first few minutes of life. it wasn't pretty, but it will be so cool to watch once he's older. i focus more on getting good pictures than shooting video though.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would definitely think it's a worth-while purchase. We bought a Samsung Digital Sports Camcorder with 2" Color LCD and External Camcorder Module and plan on having a "baby cam" when she starts crawling :D

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
I highly recommend getting one, so much happens in the first year. My kids love to watch video of themselves when they were younger. I keep it on the kitchen counter and tape only so often when something funny is happening and only for a short time, so although I've been taping for a few years I have a very watchable amount of time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
SLAPSHOT said:
I highly recommend getting one, so much happens in the first year. My kids love to watch video of themselves when they were younger. I keep it on the kitchen counter and tape only so often when something funny is happening and only for a short time, so although I've been taping for a few years I have a very watchable amount of time.
Good point. My kids *love* watching video of themselves.............