Quantcast

New bald 5.10 freerider sole

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Anyone have time on these? I'm interested to know what they ride like. The lack of grip while hiking sections of trail here in the PNW could be scary/hilarious and I wonder if the trade-off would be worth it.
Interesting idea, though, seems like the shoe could engage in more pins most of the time, so maybe less crazy pins would be needed?

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/13888-freerider-vxi-charcoal-grey

Last edited:

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
Walking on FiveTens always makes my knees hurt.
The overkill of grip makes it feel like walking down a slope.
Could be a fix?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
My 5.10 rock climbing shoes are completely bald too, and they still offer plenty of grip.... It's the compound that will help it stick, and these will be fine walking down rocks. Works fine for me climbing....

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Looks like the MTB equivalent of the minimalist running shoe fad. Offer less shoe, charge equal or higher prices!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ Funny because if anything was a fad, it was shoes designed by mr Knight that actualy damaged knees. Minimalistic shoes are where it's at! Read Born to Run.

But they should be cheaper, you're right.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
^ Funny because if anything was a fad, it was shoes designed by mr Knight that actualy damaged knees. Minimalistic shoes are where it's at! Read Born to Run.

But they should be cheaper, you're right.
I actually run in minimalist shoes, so that comment was sort of a joke. I say sort of, because I do find the prices they charge to be ludicrous. Don't they have kid slaves making these things? What are their overheads? (Stolen from FOTC)

4130biker

May 24, 2007
My 5.10 rock climbing shoes are completely bald too, and they still offer plenty of grip.... It's the compound that will help it stick, and these will be fine walking down rocks. Works fine for me climbing....
good point with the rubber, I bet you're right they'll be fine on rocks

Some trails around here it's best to hike up, or at the very least to take another shot at a section. I'm thinking with our slimy mud, where hiking up can already be a challenge, this design won't be as good as having tread, but it's still interesting, because the trade-off could be worth it..

Its funny that this brought up barefoot shoes, since riding in running shoes illustrates the fact that contact patch on a pedal is probably almost as important as rubber compound for grip IMO.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I actually run in minimalist shoes, so that comment was sort of a joke. I say sort of, because I do find the prices they charge to be ludicrous. Don't they have kid slaves making these things? What are their overheads? (Stolen from FOTC)
Gotcha. Yea after rugby in highschool, my knees would hurt running untill I gave flat shoes a go.

And now since everyone is buying them, they have no reason to reduce costs. Annoying to spend over 100 on a pair of flat slippers, essentially.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what do they offer that regular soles do not? I have ZERO complaints from either of my two pairs of 5.10s and the several pairs of pedals I've tried them on. The only thing I can think of that even remotely needs improvement would be velcro vs. laces and the ability to reposition your foot easier, which I can't imagine would be helped by having even more surface area in contact with the pedal.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I dont quite get the rationale for putting the stickiest rubber in the new Freeriders 0_0 Dubbed MI6 from the movie, its even stickier than the 'stickiest' Stealth formula (Steath HF/Mystique) used in their climbing shoes.

MAYBE coz it doesnt have the bubble wrap pattern, more 'slidy' I guess...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
When are they gonna make a shoe with legitimate toe protection? They should be working on that instead of 50 different shoes with trivial, if any functional difference

4130biker

May 24, 2007
what do they offer that regular soles do not? I have ZERO complaints from either of my two pairs of 5.10s and the several pairs of pedals I've tried them on. The only thing I can think of that even remotely needs improvement would be velcro vs. laces and the ability to reposition your foot easier, which I can't imagine would be helped by having even more surface area in contact with the pedal.
If we're filing complaints about current 5.10 riding shoes, I would like to complain about the lack of a Jesus sandle version of the impact!

PS- i think the solid/flat shape would offer a bit more concistency in feel and perhaps a bit more grip to the pedal, and of course I'm speculating here.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
And now since everyone is buying them, they have no reason to reduce costs. Annoying to spend over 100 on a pair of flat slippers, essentially.
You guys know that a mold fee is a mold fee regardless as to how much tread there is on it, right? You could make it hyper-aggressive or pancake flat and the mold would cost virtually the same... In fact, if it's a new mold compared to the old one there's design costs, actual mold fees, etc, so the shoes could cost 5.10 even *more* than just the normal Impacts (rubber molds aren't cheap, *and* you need a poopload of different sizes, usually around 12-13 different molds).

And doubt that there would even be any material savings in reduced rubber usage, so basically these probably have a higher factory cost than the Impacts.

Just sayin'.

:cheers:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
There seems to be disagreement between the long term, real world Vital test and the conclusions of experts who have looked at the pictures. Guess I'll just have to wait a few months for the MBA review....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't like them because there's one more thing to flop around, only this time it's attached to your foot next to a spinning chainring. I haven't had a problem on my 5.10 impacts or rennies, but if I were designing an improvement to a shoe, I'd include some sort of cover like the karver or strait up velco/buckles like a moto boot...but that's just me.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
tbh it is sad that there is not more hapening with fiveten since they have been bought by adidas.
would have looved to see a more lightweight impact hi... i am still using really old nathan rennies... they are heavy and hot

but i like the freerides just wish for a hi top version

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
hi top version
mid/hi top shoes ftw.. never really had high tops (only mid top loteks), but the difference is night and day. the insides of my ankles thank me everytime i put on my mid top shoes and go ride. :thumb:
My elderly uncle had a stroke in the 80's and he has to wear velcro shoes.
as soon as i read velcro i thought of those old guy shoes.. my g pa has some. ill have to try em out ;)

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i carry Sam Hill shoes, perfect for DH. Indestrustable :) Built like a tank.

Also Dirt Jump called Baggy, much softer and flexier and it has Velcro! :D

Would love see VTX with some innovative lock like Dainese stuffs or Snow sport.