Quantcast

new banshee dh frame

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I've been waiting for them to post pics FOR-EHH-VERRRR. Thanks for posting it.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
That is one hella nice DH race frame. I have been waiting on this from banshee for a while as well. I like that they included the bushings and greasable pivots, lower BB than the scyth and 7 or 8.5 inches of travel.
the standover is mad low on this thing too.

None of the new DH bikes this year had me wandering from my Nicolai but Banshee really has me thinkin hard this winter!!

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
that looks really nice, banshee has always had good quality craftsmanship in my opinion, now that they have a dh worthy design that could be a killer frame.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Dammm,now I have to manage to break my old and fat Scream frame....to be given this sweet frame under warranty!!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Is this suspension based on the design they're using in their XC bike?

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Yah, Banshee's quality is great, plus per bansheebikes.com Wildcard- "We are working on a new custom 7005 tubeset with Easton Sports." so they use good quality materials also.

All the dudes there=cool.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
did you photoshop that image using a v-10? cause the bb looks way higher than speced and the boxxer should be a bit slacker on there, still real good photoshop

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
actually some one else photo shopped it and posted it on the banshee blog, I just stuck it on here.

what you have said is right, the BB is a bit high, and the head angle is bit steep.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
really? With what I read from the banshee blog, it isn't entirely convincing, although the design looks upper good and efficient. How long would it be before you have to relube again? and against a proper bearing design, why should polymers be better than bearings, I'm still kind of lost but I wan't to be convinced

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Actaully the bushings don't need to be lubed at all, it says that they are self lubricating, and that the grease ports are only there to help you push the grit out with grease pretty much.

basically bearings are designed to work with rotating shafts, like rear hubs and BB's, where there are full rotations. Suspension pivots only have angular oscillations, as the shock limits how far they can turn.

basically bearings are designed for roating, bushings are designed for oscillating.

also bushings are more flexible to absorb shock loadings, lighter, more compact, easier to maintain and replace, cheaper, and should last longer.

Bushings every time for me please!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Wow, that looks really similar to the new Canfield Jedi. I wonder if the wheel path will have as much of a rearward swing as the Canfield.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
With your username, I guess you already know this but DHRs use bearings. At least the pre 07s.

Which I find amusing because turner has bushings dialed with their smaller travel bikes, yet when it comes to a dh application, they go with steel bearings just like everyone else.

I was referring to my RFX and Burner....

I've gone through multiple sets of bearings on the DHR (mostly main pivot bearings). The needle bearings in the linkage have held up much better, mainly do to the grease ports.......hence why I love bushings much more.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was referring to my RFX and Burner....

I've gone through multiple sets of bearings on the DHR (mostly main pivot bearings). The needle bearings in the linkage have held up much better, mainly do to the grease ports.......hence why I love bushings much more.
But don't you think it's odd that turner doesn't use bushings on only two bikes? The two that will see the most abuse?

There's got to be a shortcoming involved with using bushings on higher rotational degree or more heavily side loaded pivots. Otherwise I'd think they'd be on the highline and dhr as well.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
But don't you think it's odd that turner doesn't use bushings on only two bikes? The two that will see the most abuse?

There's got to be a shortcoming involved with using bushings on higher rotational degree or more heavily side loaded pivots. Otherwise I'd think they'd be on the highline and dhr as well.

That's the only point I was trying to make.
Don't they use bearings ONLY on the DHR? I know all their XC/Trail models (Burner/Flux/Spot/RFX/Nitrous/Sultan) use bushings, and I thought the Highline did as well. That leads me to believe the use of bearings on the DHR only is for improved stiffness and less rolling/rotating resistance? That with the increased rotational distance as you mentioned would make it a wise choice to use bearings instead of bushings.

Edit - turns out the Highline does use bearings, could have sworn they used bushings.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Well if there's one thing I've noticed when it comes to bearings vs. bushings, bearings allow much greater torques at the pivots, thus creating a stiffer joint between links (which would be better for higher side loads). Torquing pivots with bushings causes excessive friction/rotational resistance and rapid wear, so that's my guess as to why Dave uses bearings on the Highline and DHR. I wish he posted on here and not just MTBR, because it would be good to here from him what the reasoning is behind using which for each application.