Quantcast

new banshee dh frame

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my favorite part of the banshee blog was when they slagged other bike makers for not having engineers on staff to help with the design process. this from the company who gave us the scream, a bike built with the philosophy of "throw in everything, including the kitchen sink."

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I think its to do with the amount of movement there is within the pivot. depending on how much it rotates bearings or bushings are selected.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
my favorite part of the banshee blog was when they slagged other bike makers for not having engineers on staff to help with the design process. this from the company who gave us the scream, a bike built with the philosophy of "throw in everything, including the kitchen sink."

:rofl:

Having owned a Scream and breaking it twice, I find great humor in that statement.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
I spoke with the Banshee guys about the issues with the Screams and most of the breaking happened at the shock basement where most of the stress on the bike is, when they made the 2007 Scream, they re-did the welds near the BB, I haven't heard of a 2007 Scream breaking yet, although I have gone through quite a few of the previous frames.

Remember, DH Frame are only so strong, proper suspension tuning and smooth riding are also key factors in a frames durability.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Remember, DH Frame are only so strong, proper suspension tuning and smooth riding are also key factors in a frames durability.
True but...... Fair enough if it's a lightweight race bike built to be light,but not to last more than a season,(that's really only Pros bikes)the Banshees are not. I'm sure they're strong and I don't know what abuse the failed ones got,but bikes like Brooklyns(and I'm sure other brands too) don't fail that quickly,and they'd be the same sorta weight.If Banshee fixed the weekness,then great(evoloution)but redone welds doesn't sound like much.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
looks sick! i just posted a thread on it and deleted it, i missed it while i was in belgium.

anyone knopw how someone can get their hands on one?
Just wing an e-mail to info@bansheebikes.com stating why you feel you would be a good person to get one of the 50 frames.

we are not just looking for super fast racers, we also want people who race regularly in any category and ideally have mechanical knowledge or engineering background to give good feedback to us.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Just wing an e-mail to info@bansheebikes.com stating why you feel you would be a good person to get one of the 50 frames.

we are not just looking for super fast racers, we also want people who race regularly in any category and ideally have mechanical knowledge or engineering background to give good feedback to us.
yea jason, gave me jay's email so i emailed him telling him jason sent me and why i thought i should be privelaged enough to buy one. gave him my riding/racing info, that id give feedback, and that kinda ish

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the prototype dh-1s used needle bearings too. the problem was that they used o rings to take the up the lateral loading. those gave loads of friction.
yeah, that's my main criticism of that system. not sure if the friction is really detrimental on the trail; i just like supple suspension. if you preload the o-rings adequately to eliminate lateral slop, it takes a bit of effort to cycle the suspension without the shock - which bugs me. i spoke with kyle a while back, and the 2nd gen 8.25 design he was working on used cart roller bearings (like everyone else) to eliminate this issue. which of course is moot if he never actually builds them...

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
The legend pivot system used flanged self lubricating system combined with high tolerance pivot axle to ensure that friction is not an issue.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
The blog is still there!

Banshee are just trying to resolve some manufacturing issues for the shock basement as this requires some very advanced metal forming.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
on their web page the weight of 8-9 lbs is without rear shock...

yup in that ballpark would be pretty sweet.

considering Giant glory is apparently around 12.5lbs w/shock and sunday is meant to be around 12lbs ish with shock from what I have read.

so legend is going to be very competitive.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
yup in that ballpark would be pretty sweet.

considering Giant glory is apparently around 12.5lbs w/shock and sunday is meant to be around 12lbs ish with shock from what I have read.

so legend is going to be very competitive.

The Sunday is 10.25 lbs with and air shock and 11.05 with a coil over. Frame only is in the 8s.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
The Sunday is 10.25 lbs with and air shock and 11.05 with a coil over. Frame only is in the 8s.
Sorry, I stand corrected!
haha, my information must have been out of date or just wrong. but even then, thats around the same ballpark. if you go much lighter then your going to start snapping frames!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
like the soccom! everybody has snapped their soccom cause its only 8 lbs with shock!

wait....hm. has anybody snapped a soccom? I think I heard about it from a guy who had heard about it maybe happening on mars or something

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
like the soccom! everybody has snapped their soccom cause its only 8 lbs with shock!

wait....hm. has anybody snapped a soccom? I think I heard about it from a guy who had heard about it maybe happening on mars or something
The Socom isn't 8lbs. Additionally, its not 8.5lbs. Then you still have to add the seat collar, and rear axle.

The Sunday weight at 11.05 is with the rear axle, seat collar, and e13 cups I believe.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
9.5 lbs (and theres no way that a seat collar and rear axle weigh MORE then that, my glory axle is one of the heaviest out there and it weighs about 1/2 lb. is still lighter then 11.05 which is still lighter then 12.5. Theres plenty of DH capable bikes that weigh alot less then 12.5 lbs w/shock.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
9.5 lbs (and theres no way that a seat collar and rear axle weigh MORE then that, my glory axle is one of the heaviest out there and it weighs about 1/2 lb. is still lighter then 11.05 which is still lighter then 12.5. Theres plenty of DH capable bikes that weigh alot less then 12.5 lbs w/shock.
There's this thing called claimed weight. Just because a company tells you their part weighs something does not mean it will be that. I don't know where you pulled 8lbs for the Socom out of but its not even close to that.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont really see the big deal about the socom, my s size vp free was 9.2 lbs with seal collar and rear axle. only if they got the geometry right and tweaked the suspension a bit SC would have got it perfect way before the socom.

socoms are known for their rear triangles dying over here, supposed to be fixed for 08;

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
my small 2008 sunday factory was 10.35 lbs on the scale with shock and rear axle (no seat collar, bb cups, headset cups or seat post). complete build is sitting at 37.89 lbs.

even if the banshee can hit a speculated weight of 10-11 pounds with a rear shock and axle this will still be a light ride. one of my friends is on the wait list for one...so i'm excited to see what the complete build will be for total weight.

Terrorfirma

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
Ok talking to Jason at Sicklines who has a large Socom.
It is 3169g which equals 6.98lbs without anything on it.
It's 9.53lbs with shock using a steel 450lbs spring and nothing else on it.
and the Sunday is about a lbs off of the Socom [+]

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Im super stoked to get one when they are ready. Probably some of the most surface machining a frame has ever seen. That and keith actually has some real engineering in the frame for the suspension tuning. It is definitely going to change people's opinions about banshee...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Im super stoked to get one when they are ready. Probably some of the most surface machining a frame has ever seen. That and keith actually has some real engineering in the frame for the suspension tuning. It is definitely going to change people's opinions about banshee...
Keith said the machining on that one is just a rush-job to get it ready for the show (hence all the machining grooves), the production versions will be smooth. Looking very cool though.