Quantcast

new bath reno pics (and kitchen pics for N8)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well after ~4 months, the master bath was finally finished a couple of weeks ago, so i thought i would throw some pictures up. unfortunately i didn't take any 'before' photos...the shower was a beige fiberglass unit w/ a 'wrinkly glass' door (not sheet). the vanity had a pale mustard formica top, w/ very dark stained oak. upper-mount small porcelain sink and some cheapo faucet. there was a similar-style vanity (same countertop and wood) across from the crapper w/ no sink, just for storage.

so we decided to gut all that stuff, but install the new stuff in the same place so we didn't incur cost of moving plumbing. we also decided to install a skylight to get some more ambient light, as the bathroom window faces north.

looking into the bathroom (note - it's a pretty small room, so i was challenged in getting decent photos even w/ my lens set to widest):

sink and lights:

two pictures of the shower:

i will take credit (or derision) for the design and color scheme of the tiles.

lastly, a couple of photos of our kitchen and addition for N8, as we were wrangling about cabinetry color (i prefer a natural look, he's been doing some dark stain work)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
very nice!!!! i like the open lay out of your house.. very spacious!!! also that ceiling to floor windows look great!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Really a nice set up there bro.

I love those wall sconces...

The light wood looks nice with the black appliences. Not my personal preference, but it looks very well done.

I really like that shower door too.

Nice to see you using Decora light switches.

Love the bath light fixture too.

Nice ASS shot as well............... :p

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Very nice!!! the shower's tile is great nice design!!!

the whole place looks clean and a contemporary feel but not stagnant. it definitely shows a connection with the great features of the past... like the pedestal sink!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Does that light over the shower have an exaust fan in it too..?
yep. very quiet, too (not sure what the sone rating is, but it's among the lowest). that was one of the problems w/ the original bathroom...there was no exhaust fan! so, we'd get mildew on the ceiling and cracking paint on the walls over time.

our builder also made that floor-standing cabinet in the bathroom; i thought he did a pretty nice job.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hooples3 said:
very nice!!!! i like the open lay out of your house.. very spacious!!! also that ceiling to floor windows look great!!!
thanks! it wasn't always that way...the original house was a classic colonial layout, where the rooms were compartmentalized. the original kitchen was where the dining table is now, and the kitchen is where our formal (ie, hardly ever used) dining room was (a wall was between the two, and the stove was against the wall).

the builder had to put a steel I beam at the 1st floor ceiling/2nd storey floor to support the vaulted ceiling (engineered wood beam at the top), since the load-bearing wall was removed. it definitely opens the space out considerably, and we're very happy w/ how it came out.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Looks good narlus! Did you do the work? I've just finished remodeling our first floor bath which is also quite small. Wish I had done some built-in shelves in the shower area. I'll have to get some pics up soon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mike B. said:
Looks good narlus! Did you do the work? I've just finished remodeling our first floor bath which is also quite small. Wish I had done some built-in shelves in the shower area. I'll have to get some pics up soon.
my work was restricted to installing the bathroom hardware (towel racks), the overhead light fixture, and the mirror. :rolleyes:

my dad is not exactly bob vila, so i never learned much in the way of these skills growing up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
berkshire_rider said:
Nice! No wine rack for the dry bar? :confused:
it's there:

but SS is right; the good stuff is in the basement (half in my at-capacity wine cooler, the other half in a storage rack). the everyday wine we stick into the boxes shown in the photo (w/ the screwpull wine opener mounted on the wall, natch).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yep, a couple of NZ bottles my mom got me for xmas, a chianti (which should probably be downstairs, i think it's a Ruffino riserva), and an Estancia meritage (ditto).

in the middle shelving at the top, we've got a decanter, and in one of the cubbies is a robert parker wine guide.

i originally wanted to put a beverage cooler into the kitchen, but the wife didn't want to sacrifice cabinet space. like we don't have enough freakin' cabinets. :rolleyes:

that said, i'll get a picture of my favorite cabinet up later.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and bikes, and the furnace, and summer patio furniture in the winter, and various other sporting gear. also comes in handy as a workshop area.

man, it would be very strange to not have a basement.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
and bikes, and the furnace, and summer patio furniture in the winter, and various other sporting gear. also comes in handy as a workshop area.

man, it would be very strange to not have a basement.
My wife's photography studio, a bouldering wall, sleeping bags..........