Quantcast

New Bearings for a Demo 8

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
So I've had my demo 8 for almost 2 years now and its starting to get some creeks and noises in her. I'm guessing its from the bearings. If I have to replace them, do I need to go to a shop to get it done? how much will it cost? how often will I have to do this?? Please let me know thanks

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
Bearing kit from Specialized is around 80.00 and does come with all new spacers also check local bikeshop for labor probably 80.00 to 100.00 quite a labor intensive process plus tools. Dont know what Specialized recommends but I replace bearings every two seasons in all my FSR equipment, seems to be about how long before bearings start to get crusty. Have fun with it

strizzle

Chimp
Nov 22, 2009
Denver, CO
Dammm, that's expensive!!! I guess hopefully I won't have to do this too many times, hopefully I'll have a new frame in the next 4 years.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
well considering its a bike that costs between 3-6000 dollars, i think 200 dollars every 2 years should be no problem. i mean an oil change in a ferarri doesnt cost 20 bucks like a normal car, you know what i mean?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's worth it to have a shop with the FSR toolkit do it; there are lots of necessary tools in there that wouldn't be cost-effective to buy, which is a big part of the labor cost.

Have you made sure that your BB is tight/greased? Sometimes BB creaking can resonate through a frame or sound like it's bearings...although after 2 years it's probably not a bad idea to have the bearings replaced anyways.