Quantcast

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
All the truck threads seem to be based around midsized trucks like Taco's. I however, being a sasquatch of a man (both in hair and height) and sexually inadequate, need something on the larger size. This thing will be used for constant shuttling and many roadtrips. 4-5 passengers and that many or more bikes driving up steep mountain roads, often rough or unpaved. There are only a few specific requirements right now

1. Mega/Crewmax type cab

I might have to sit in the back of it at some time, and at 6' 7.5" even Haktastic's double cab 07 Tundra doesn't have enough headroom.

2. Somewhat acceptable mileage

I know this one is a losing battle, but somewhere around 18-21 HWY would be nice

3. Reliable

I want this thing to last 200k+ miles.

4. Not a requirement, but I'd like a 6.5 ft. bed. I'm willing to consider the Tundra though

So that narrows it down to this list:
1. 06-07 2500 Dodge Ram Diesel
2. 09-10 Ford F150 5.4L
3. 07-10 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Thoughts?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I absolutely loved my new style silverado, 5.5' bed though. It's worth a drive, over 45,000 miles I averaged 18 mpg city/highway and could pull down 22-23 highway if I drove conservatively (65-70 mph)

I think the Ford and Chevy sit at the top of the class for a reason.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Sound like a common rail cummins is the perfect option for you...... Get it tuned for milage, and you will far and away have the most reliable, longest lasting and most effecient truck out of that list.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sound like a common rail cummins is the perfect option for you...... Get it tuned for milage, and you will far and away have the most reliable, longest lasting and most effecient truck out of that list.
Did you forget he wanted a backseat that an adult could comfortably sit in?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I forgot about the mega cabs, my bro had the crew cab and it sucked bad and I am 5-10, but yeah the mega cabs are big.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
That's what I'm leaning towards now. I figure with full loads, roof racks, etc. that diesel will be the best.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
That's what I'm leaning towards now. I figure with full loads, roof racks, etc. that diesel will be the best.
My next door neighbor has a 5.9 common rail truck that he uses for his wholesale repo business. He just broke half million miles on his and it's his work truck. I see the thing probably 3 days a week with something on the trailer, even excursions and things like that at times, and I know he has a big yard somewhere local that he used his truck to fill. The only mechanical sort of issues he has had was the torque converter (they SUCK, especially when being worked hard) which was replaced with something MUCH better, and I think the output shaft on the tranny, I know it's been upgraded a bit, not EXACTLY sure how though.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Another option you may want to consider is a '99-'03 Ford 7.3. you can buy one dirt cheap and there reliable as hell. I have a 99 w/ 275,000 miles on it and my 03 has 208,000. Crewcabs have good size in the back.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
My next door neighbor has a 5.9 common rail truck that he uses for his wholesale repo business. He just broke half million miles on his and it's his work truck. I see the thing probably 3 days a week with something on the trailer, even excursions and things like that at times, and I know he has a big yard somewhere local that he used his truck to fill. The only mechanical sort of issues he has had was the torque converter (they SUCK, especially when being worked hard) which was replaced with something MUCH better, and I think the output shaft on the tranny, I know it's been upgraded a bit, not EXACTLY sure how though.
500k, I like the sound of that. Ya I figure once I tune that cummins for mileage it should get pretty damn good mileage from what I've seen on various forums.

As a diesel guy i just want to remind you of some of the upkeep that if you dont do yourself will eat your lunch over time.
16 quart oil changes, expensive fuel filter changes, air filter etc.
This stuff cost more than it should (way more than gas application) and the dealer will stick it to you.
For example, an air filter on my diesel F-250 changed at the dealer is something like $160:shocked:
It still cost $80 at napa, autozone etc.
Diesel fuel cost more than premium in most places.
As far as fuel economy, we are talking about 8,000 or so lbs of beast:D
I would try to get a low mileage Ram mega cab but that cab with a long bed is VERY long and hard to park, drive throughs, u-turns etc.

Anyhoo, nothing beats a big dezzy lugging big guys and bikes all over the place.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
One of my bosses bought a 1 ton diesel dually Dodge Megacab to tow his boat.
He also uses it as a daily driver.
Its HUGE. He drives it like a sports car. Riding with him is...interesting.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
As a diesel guy i just want to remind you of some of the upkeep that if you dont do yourself will eat your lunch over time.
This stuff cost more than it should (way more than gas application) and the dealer will stick it to you.
For example, an air filter on my diesel F-250 changed at the dealer is something like $160:shocked:
I would try to get a low mileage Ram mega cab but that cab with a long bed is VERY long and hard to park, drive throughs, u-turns etc.

Anyhoo, nothing beats a big dezzy lugging big guys and bikes all over the place.
Ya I figure I'll try to take care of as much of the basic maintenance myself as I can. Not sure how reasonable that expectation is (compared to gas), need to look into that more.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn

160 for an air filter? Did they make you one on site? I bought my K&N set up for 180 an recharge it every 2 months for 10 bucks. But sad to say true on everything else.:(

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
With money you would save buy a 7.3, you could take a 1/3 of the money you save on a new rig and hook up the interior.
Problem with that is, if you get in an accident, insurance probably won't count that to the value of the payout they'll give you if it's totaled. You then you're just SOL

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
With money you would save buy a 7.3, you could take a 1/3 of the money you save on a new rig and hook up the interior.
spending all the money on replacing the cheap looking dash and cheap feeling and looking seats, he might as well get something newer right off the bat.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

2000 F350 7.3 diesel, XL trim (nothing but AC, tilt, cruise, and a CD player). Since you need a back seat, the extra cabs are nice. I'm 6'4" and have ridden in the back of many Chevy/Ford/Dodge trucks, all aren't bad in the back.

If I was running 33's, mileage would be a little better. I get between 17 and 20 mixed, way better than gas. Also, I have a fuel card for bio and it's $2.70/gallon for B99 (2.99 for unleaded). I got just over $600 back last year ($.50/gallon of B99 tax rebate), so figure you are only paying about $2.20 with a little interest.

I get the oil changed at the dealer for $60. It's almost cheaper than doing it myself without the hassle of recycling that much used oil.

Problem with that is, if you get in an accident, insurance probably won't count that to the value of the payout they'll give you if it's totaled. You then you're just SOL
I put about $6k into my toyota just in audio hardware. It cost me an additional $15 a month to cover $10k in upgrades. The best part of the upgrade coverage is it's replacement cost, not vlaue.

160 for an air filter? Did they make you one on site? I bought my K&N set up for 180 an recharge it every 2 months for 10 bucks. But sad to say true on everything else.:(

The 6.0 has a air filter unit and not a "drop in" like what your thinking. Its made by donaldson and does a really good job of filtration.
I know you know your diesel stuff but K&N filters are not good for turbo diesels.
They are too free flowing.
Thats right.
They flow lots of air but not clean air.
Over time grit eats away at the tips of the turbo blades resulting in a condition called "dusting". This is expensive and also reduces boost pressure among other things.
I use K&N in my motos and moms car although some diesel guys will still swear by them.

Next time you clean your filter take off the air box housing and look at you turbo blades.
If it looks like the tips of the blades are being gnawed down now you'll know why.

I'm a diehard "stock sucks" kind of guy but in this case stock is best for the long term .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Finally a diesel owner is can see through gimmicky charts!
And the thing is that a car/truck will initially run better with a K&N, but over the long haul it will run worse.
Not to mention the damage the filter oil can cause on sensors like air flow and throttle. I have seen whole throttle bodies gunked to the point of failure.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
for years i drove a '97 12V. that truck was an animal and got 22mpg to boot.
and if you needed a extra cup holder....you could just punch a hole in the top of the dash.

that was the only drawback to that truck that my brother had.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Ya I figure I'll try to take care of as much of the basic maintenance myself as I can. Not sure how reasonable that expectation is (compared to gas), need to look into that more.
also remember a cummins calls for an oil change every 5K instead of 3, that will help offset extra costs of oil.