Quantcast

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am looking for my first big truck also, and had been looking at a Ram 1500 Hemi. Sounds a lot like you guys are mainly diesel guys. It there a big reason for this? I don't think I will ever tow anything heavier that a couple of MX bikes or a bed full of DH bikes. I just like the idea of a Hemi because of the muscle car heritage. Never had anything bigger than a 2.3 petrol, so it will be a big jump!
According to my endless research, it looks like the dodge's kinda suck if you don't get the diesel. Everywhere I've read said the gas 1500/2500 feel like they have no power, and get horrible mileage. If you want a full size gas truck it looks like the F150 or the Tundra is the way to go.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the current and last generation of hemi's have more power than the first 5.7L's. the addition of their cylinder deactivation (MDS), also helped with the mileage too
they first ones werent any faster than my 5.9L, but still have enough grunt for the majority of people

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
According to my endless research, it looks like the dodge's kinda suck if you don't get the diesel. Everywhere I've read said the gas 1500/2500 feel like they have no power, and get horrible mileage. If you want a full size gas truck it looks like the F150 or the Tundra is the way to go.
My dad's 2003 ram 1500 feels fairly powerful given it's a quadcab. It tows well too. A few years back my dad bought a 33' toy hauler (almost 5 tons if not more) and pulled it home with that truck. The suspension was almost bottomed out even with the air shocks at full pressure, but it was able to maintain lime 65mph up a STEEP grade. Obviously the frame and suspension wouldn't hold up to that abuse after a while but it's pretty impressive.

It is hard on gas, 8mpg driving it back forth short distances, 17mpg highway if you're strategic about it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My dad's 2003 ram 1500 feels fairly powerful given it's a quadcab. It tows well too. A few years back my dad bought a 33' toy hauler (almost 5 tons if not more) and pulled it home with that truck. The suspension was almost bottomed out even with the air shocks at full pressure, but it was able to maintain lime 65mph up a STEEP grade. Obviously the frame and suspension wouldn't hold up to that abuse after a while but it's pretty impressive.

It is hard on gas, 8mpg driving it back forth short distances, 17mpg highway if you're strategic about it.
what engine? they had 3 V8's in 2003

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ended up buying an 07 Tundra Crewmax last night. TRD, moonroof, premium stereo, tow package for $19k, certified preowned, 65k miles. Taking delivery on it today or after I get back from an engineering conference next week. Pics to follow then!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That TRD shiat won't matter anyway. Those little wussy struts are gonna come off of there in no time.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'll take anything to make up for my sexual inadequacies
He does mean "anything".

Gonna de-badge my silver Double Cab Tundra at some point, and those stupid TRD stickers are going to be the first things to come off.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
As much as I dislike Tundras, the lower door cup holders are perfect for roadies.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
but can you fit a bike in there long ways?
you can fit a DH bike crooked on its side (and probably standing up) It will need a bed extender if he wanted to put it straight. Worst part is that they are close to fitting, another few inches and they would :rant:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
but can you fit a bike in there long ways?
Not when your bike has a 50 WB that's for sure! Hitch racks FTW. Bikes in bed are a pain in the ass and not practical for roadtrips when you have 3-4 people and the corresponding amount of gear. I'm getting that 6 bike northshore rack as soon as they're in sttock. Don't have to worry about securing bikes, damage frome banging around, etc. And you retain all the bed for gear/cargo.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Not when your bike has a 50 WB that's for sure! Hitch racks FTW. Bikes in bed are a pain in the ass and not practical for roadtrips when you have 3-4 people and the corresponding amount of gear. I'm getting that 6 bike northshore rack as soon as they're in sttock. Don't have to worry about securing bikes, damage frome banging around, etc. And you retain all the bed for gear/cargo.
We put the bikes in the back, then just pack the gear around them, then put straps/cargo netting over the whole thing. Works for 4 people + bikes and enough camping gear for a week. Its like Tetris, but it works!

Roomy cab is a must for road trips though - cramming into the back of my buddies Tacoma for 8 hours to Moab can get old fast.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Ya. I decided the big cab was the most important part. And if that truck were any bigger it would be too big. A 5.5ft bed is much bigger than it looks. It really only looks kinda small because the cab is so insanely huge (which is awesome).
I have a foot on your truck, and I drive it in SF probably twice a month.

Now all I can think of is the 6.7 cummins up the street. Mega cab, short box, 6 inch lift, 20 inch billet wheels, 37's, big exaust, and 2 (Yes I **** you not TWO) tribal sleeves.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I have a foot on your truck, and I drive it in SF probably twice a month.

Now all I can think of is the 6.7 cummins up the street. Mega cab, short box, 6 inch lift, 20 inch billet wheels, 37's, big exaust, and 2 (Yes I **** you not TWO) tribal sleeves.
What in the hell are you talking about?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
no recall, but theres been a TSB on the 2007 Tundra's because of bed bounce

The Tundra performs similarly to other long wheelbase trucks on choppy, broken concrete surfaces. The enhanced cab mounts of this TSB reduce the amplitude of body vibrations caused by uneven road surfaces, but they do NOT eliminate the sensation entirely. Customers should be counseled that they will experience an improvement in the condition and their truck will perform better than competitors in identical conditions, but some body shake is a normal and unavoidable condition in certain situations with this type of vehicle.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/28/toyota-finally-addresses-tundra-bed-bounce-with-tsb/

and a aftermarket solution

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
moar shimz!

Trucks are supposed to carry loads and not babies? I'll be damned. Its like their suspension is tuned different from cars!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you want your truck to handle loads AND ride well, bag it. Even a helper bag with minimal air will make a truck ride much better.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
no recall, but theres been a TSB on the 2007-2010 Tundra's because of bed bounce
Fixed - its not just 2007. Its a recall really - Toyota admitted they classify recalls like this on purpose to protect their image - see article from WSJ 2006

But there's one fullsize truck on the market that has gotten more complaints than any other, and it's the 2007 through 2010 Toyota Tundra...According to the boys at Tundra Headquarters, the Japanese automaker has finally announced a TSB that is intended to greatly reduce the so-called bed-bounce issue that has plagued the truck since '07. The TSB applies only to Double Cab Tundras and involves replacing the rear body mount bushings with new, upgraded units. It's also important to note that this is a TSB, not a recall.
2006 WSJ article excerpt - this new recall shows Toyota hasn't changed - image over true quality is what matters to them:

Toyota also has made what one engineer describes as a "clear and conscious change" in the way it handles recalls in the wake of a painful scandal involving an alleged coverup of vehicle defects by Japan's Mitsubishi Motors Corp. a few years ago, which crippled sales and drove Mitsubishi to the brink of collapse.

"We used to do quiet recalls called 'service campaigns' to deal with many defects, but we're not going to hide anything any more," said one senior engineer. "Most of the known defects and issues are now handled through recalls."

Last edited:
no recall, but theres been a TSB on the 2007 Tundra's because of bed bounce

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/28/toyota-finally-addresses-tundra-bed-bounce-with-tsb/

and a aftermarket solution

Whats funny about the vid and the "fix" for the bounce is to add heavy metal slats at the most rearward part of the bed.
Uh, ok.
Every truck owner knows that already. I'm guessing that a few bags of quick krete from home depot is not as sexy or expensive as the solution is that vid.:rolleyes:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
uhh ya, so its over sprung when its empty? It's a full sized work truck, it's supposed to be sprung for carrying lots of cargo in the bed/towing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
uhh ya, so its over sprung when its empty? It's a full sized work truck, it's supposed to be sprung for carrying lots of cargo in the bed/towing.
the ram, silverado and f-series dont seem to have such a big enough problem to warrant a TSB. though the ram might not be the best comparison