Quantcast

New Bike - Commencal Meta 4X

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Freshly built today by Jay T at IBike in Parnell Auckland.

2007 Commencal Meta 4X Size Short 100mm Fox RP23
2007 Pike 454 110-140mm
DT Swiss EX5.1D on Hope Pro II 20mm thru / 10mm bolt up and DB spokes
Sram X9
2008 Shimano XT brakes 170mm F / 160mm R
Gamut guide
Holzfella cranks 170mm
NOX pedals
Thomson X4 50mm stem
Easton MonkeyLite DH bar
Easton EC90 post
Cane Creek headset
Specialized Alias 143 Ti saddle
Ruffian grips
Intense System 4
Weight TBA

Apologies for crappy pics.

First ride and I'm :cupidarrow:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
It´s a sick bike, have fun on it!
Great linkage that doesn´t need much service and doesn´t eat too many bushes. Solid bike.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Freshly built today by Jay T at IBike in Parnell Auckland.

2007 Commencal Meta 4X Size Short 100mm Fox RP23
2007 Pike 454 110-140mm
DT Swiss EX5.1D on Hope Pro II 20mm thru / 10mm bolt up and DB spokes
Sram X9
2008 Shimano XT brakes 170mm F / 160mm R
Gamut guide
Holzfella cranks 170mm
NOX pedals
Thomson X4 50mm stem
Easton MonkeyLite DH bar
Easton EC90 post
Cane Creek headset
Specialized Alias 143 Ti saddle
Ruffian grips
Intense System 4
Weight TBA

Apologies for crappy pics.

First ride and I'm :cupidarrow:
Here's hoping it makes you slower.... you're already too quick on the old one.

Looking pretty damn fine - you're sure you can't get out tomorrow arvo for a ride? :cheers:
Jay's moved again?!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Here's hoping it makes you slower.... you're already too quick on the old one.

Looking pretty damn fine - you're sure you can't get out tomorrow arvo for a ride? :cheers:
Jay's moved again?!
No ride for me dude. Car in getting a service and i am interviewing for a new receptionist......and we know how important that is.

Yeah, Jay is highly in demand and obviously they were prepared to throw money at him. He is great at what he does and people follow him so he kind of brings his own book of business, which must be worth tens of thousands.

First impressions of the Meta 4X;

First ride report on the Meta was at the local skate bowl with a nice bowl to bowl tabletop of about 25 feet. Bike is very stable in the air, stiff and pedals like a hard tail w/out any propedal.

I felt immediately comfortable. Coming off a SX 4X it pedals a lot better, and is easier to pick up and move around.

Will hit the local forest this weekend and will report back on its single track capabilities.

Will ask Whoops to kindly take some better photos of the bike (and rider) to update this thread next week.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Really, WTF! I went the other way around because I thought it would be easier on the SX.. Bugger
To qualify that I should add that the SX was a size long and the Meta is a short and the TT is around 1.5" shorter. Pivot location may have something to do with it too but my initial thoughts were that it was the TT.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Ohh, I'm soo reliefed! The long SX is like 3cm longer than mine, which in turn should be a few mm shorter than a small Meta 4x.. Well, I can take some momentum loss while pedaling as long as the fit is better... Great to hear!

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
what are the zipties holding on?
The Cranks are Hone and the zip ties were temporary to hold some sticky sided stuff on the frame so it would stick good. He has a really good idea for protecting the chain stays. I will try to get a pic of it up close. He has since removed the zip ties.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
So the day started slowly with DemoMonkey to hung over to work out how to tie the bike on... and me to tired (new baby) to work it out either...

But yeah, I think he likes it.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Thanks Whoops, a fun day indeed.

Ride report.

Instant grip in the corners. Lateral stiffness encourages no braking. Holds a line very well.

Found myself surprised at how well it pedals. I'm thinking as the downward of pedaling force is directed between the two ends of the lateral strut between the swing arm and the rocker, it (the strut) effectively removes any way for the shock to be actuated from an above-vertical movement. The shock is only actuated by a behind-horizontal movement so it effectively pedals like a hard tail.

The suspension does stiffen a little on the brakes, but with 100m of travel and confidence inspiring handling, it was not an issue.

I was a little worried the short size would be a little too short but at 5'8" it feels spot on.

10/10.