Quantcast

New bike day!

Nov 7, 2008
It's been ages since I've built up a new bike for myself, i usually just repaint and rebuild my old ass bikes or buy completes. this will be fun. :weee:

iro model 19, 20"

more to come.

Nov 7, 2008
or 350 for a partial build.

i got the partial because i already have brakes and most everything else except for wheels. $200 more for the build kit minus brakes when a decent wheelset alone is about $200 and you cant loose. i'll be rolling that much sooner and i can just upgrade the rest of the components little by little as i go.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
or 350 for a partial build.

i got the partial because i already have brakes and most everything else except for wheels. $200 more for the build kit minus brakes when a decent wheelset alone is about $200 and you cant loose. i'll be rolling that much sooner and i can just upgrade the rest of the components little by little as i go.
Any idea what the parts are like for the partial build?

Nov 7, 2008
not sure about the hubs, but the rims are supposed to be velocity blunts. pretty sure everything else is chinese iro house brand.

honestly, i didn't really try to find out what every component is on the bike. its rare for me to not completely geek out on every detail but i'm sure everything that i keep from the build kit will be just fine. i also have piles of parts in the garage to swap out if i don't like the way a certain component looks at me.

Nov 7, 2008

please ignore the extra zip,ties on the top tube. i could only find one of the cable stop hose clamp things.

also, those bars will be turned into soda cans pretty soon and real bars will go on.

Nov 7, 2008
its a 20", im 6'5" and i like my bikes small. its replacing a 59cm road bike as my daily transportation. in the pic the seat is a little low, but with a 300whatever mm thomson post thats pretty close to the max line its comfy. only issue is that the front end is a little low for my taste with the rigid fork and flat bars. i have some risers that will go on pretty soon until i figure out what direction i really want to go with it. im thinking about getting some used avid bb7s and turning it into a monstercross with some shallow drops and a tall riser stem... but time will tell. right now it looks a little awkward with the seat up so high but the top tube length is prefect for me. i almost wish i was able to get the 21" and a shorter stem, but the actual size difference between the two frames is minimal and the 21 was not available... no regrets at this point.

the tires that came with it were rubbing on the chainstays when pedaling out of the saddle so i threw some vittoria ranndoneurs on there to get to school today so no new pics yet. emailed iro about the issue and they are sending me some 2.1 cst critters for free to make things right. not the best tire in the world but it looks like it should roll fast and its free so i cant argue with the price.

once the new tires come i'll post some pics of it covered in dirt.

Nov 7, 2008
completely forgot that i make this thread, figured i would update it. ive been distracted by my roadbike these past few months but decided to finally get back to work on the new rig. tried it with flat bars for a while, then risers, then a friend talked me into the woodchippers and i love them.

so much fun. now just need to find room in my budget for a suspension fork...

anyone got something 80-100mm, air, 8" steertube, qr, for around $200?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
completely forgot that i make this thread, figured i would update it. ive been distracted by my roadbike these past few months but decided to finally get back to work on the new rig. tried it with flat bars for a while, then risers, then a friend talked me into the woodchippers and i love them.

so much fun. now just need to find room in my budget for a suspension fork...

anyone got something 80-100mm, air, 8" steertube, qr, for around $200?

That looks great as is!

Nov 7, 2008
sure it looks good as is, but having suspension up front will open up some new trails to me as well as allow me to go faster on the ones i currently ride.

Nov 7, 2008
whoops... unintentional rain ride.

was able to steer clear of the mud puddles so i didn't rut up the trail but couldn't manage to keep the bike clean.