Quantcast

new bike delima...

oxman

Chimp
Jul 2, 2007
Happy holidays guys, this is, I think, one of my first posts here in awhile, mainly due to the wealth of info already available here! I am hoping someone could help me out with the very important decision I am about to make here!

I've been riding my 05 p.1 for a couple years now, it has a DJ3 100mm fork truvativ cranks, stem, and bars. I've got mavic 729 rims laced to a singlespeed rear hub and a track style bolt on front hub.

My delima is this, I have about $800 to $1000 to spend either on a new complete bike, or to upgrade my current ride with a new frame and fork. I ride mainly skateparks and dirt jumps. I have been looking at the nighttrain complete, the riot and .357 completes as well as the transition TOP frame. My main problem is coming from not ever having ridden anything besides my p.1, so I have no idea what these other bikes feel like in comparison, I would assume all would be better for my style of riding but I just don't have anything to base this on. What do you think about my options and which would I see the most benefit from? If you think I would get more out of a new frame and fork, which ones would you recommend?

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
First off if you are consifering a new ToP frame, you will need new cranks as it uses a Spanish BB. So consider that. I personally dislike all of the p.bikes geometry (2003-2006-ish) for my riding style. I went from a Riot to a Mob frame for personal preference and that geometry (same for .357, Riot or Mob) is ideal for me. I DJ and park ride with little or no urban/street.

Going from the older 05' geometry with a low bb and longer stays - everything is going to feel different from that. The good thing is that all of your choices have very similar geometry to each other which is totally different than your p. Also any mentioned frames will be a good amount lighter.

Also think about a new fork that has a 20mm thru-axle as opposed to the nutted/fixed front hub. That may make a difference in getting a higher quality fork that may only be available in a 20mm style.

The BlkMrkt completes are pretty decent and the Riot I think is a better deal with the better fork. Plus you can always sell you stuff to make up the difference.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
get a new frame and or fork. better to buy a quality part than a whole other bike you are going to want to replace in a year or so. do more research and try to ride more frames to get a better idea of what you like.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i say consider getting a 2008 Easter Nighttrain complete. Here is a place that has them for $1190, free shipping:

http://oldskoolcycles.com/easternnighttrain26.aspx

short cs, short fork (80mm travel)... definitely good for skatepark riding....

If you get a new frame and fork and switch parts, then your old P-bike frame/fork/cranks will be basically worth nothing--it would be much easier to sell as a complete. Plus you may want to keep it around to have a loaner bike for your friends, a bike to take on planes, whatever....

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
pick up a really nice frame that has the geo you want. sounds like your wheels/parts are good to go so just transfer over. if the fork ain't broke, keep riding that too.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
pick up a really nice frame that has the geo you want. sounds like your wheels/parts are good to go so just transfer over. if the fork ain't broke, keep riding that too.
I agree.

There is a nice Giant STP SS frame in the classifieds. Brand new.
I'm a fan of the STP. Short stays, clean look, well built. Its a score if the right size for you.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I was riding an aged frame and fork. Getting a new fork meant a new front wheel (my old fork/wheel was a QR). Getting a new frame meant new cranks, and probably a rear wheel. So I just bought a whole new bike. I got an Eastern and I love it. Manuals like a bmx bike.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
First of all, P.1'sare rad bikes.... What are you aiming to achieve with an "upgrade" ?

If you want to upgrade in the sense of having an all-around lighter, easier-to-pull up, quicker steering etc. then switching your parts over is not going to cut it. Everything from 3 years ago is heavier--fork, wheels, cranks, pedals, seat, seatpost, frame.... etc. Also, for better skatepark handling you're probably going to want an 80mm travel fork anyway. The STP is designed for 80mm.

Like I said, if you can sell your complete P.1 for $400 on craigslist or something, then spend 1200 on an Eastern... you've upgraded EVERYTHING for $800. Versus if you buy a new frame for $400 and a new fork for $400, you've only upgraded f&f for the same price, plus you have an unused P.1 frame lying around.

Last edited: