Quantcast

New Bike - For My Son

Old_Dude

Monkey
Some of you Monkey's may remember how I used post photos of the rides we used to do. We both really enjoyed those trips and now, he's 16 and lately he's really expressed an interest in riding again.

Long story short - as I was at the LBS today I saw a Specialized FSR for sale - it was an '05, 20% off - so I bought it.

You should've seen him when I brought it home - it was just like the old days - he immediately began doing wheelies and riding all over our yard (we live on one acre of land which is hilly).

He seemed really pleased and told me "thanks" several times. I know the components are "weak", but the way I figure it, upgrading the parts is the most wonderful problem in the world because it means he's riding again and wearing out parts. :)

I think it's all great - we're going riding Tuesday - as soon as I get home from work.

Anyone here remember the photos I used to post? He's now almost as tall as I am - he even encouraged me to ride it!!!

Yes, there's reason for life after all!

Just wanted to share the good news.

Happy riding,

OD

Old_Dude

Monkey
Sound like the FSR XC
Yes, I went to Specialized's web site and found it's their "recreational" version. Again, for $880, I thought it was a good deal and I plan on upgrading as stuff wears out. I particularly don't like the brakes, but they get the job done for now and will prolly get swapped out first.

I hope he will get the tools out and toss it on the work stand and start doing the maintenance himself. I'm no "bike mechanic", but there are many things I can do right that help me "bond" with the machine. Hopefully, he'll learn how to do some of the basics also and enjoy this part of the sport.

I guess a photo of our two new bikes together is in order - look for this later this afternoon.

Happy riding,

OD

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
That is soo awesome. I love suprises. Post up some pictures of your sons new bike. I know how he feels and all about being excited about receiveing a new bike. Seeing as I am one year older then him. That is soo cool. You must be a pretty cool dad.

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . the Hubs are disk ready, when you up date the brakes you plan to make them Disk ?
Yes, the hubs are disk ready - I was surprised. Makes the choice of tossing the original brakes just that much easier. We'll go with Avid mechanicals at some point. I think the shifters will go out before we upgrade the brakes. I like Nashbar brakes - for the money, they're quite decent, I think - this might be a good first upgrade.

You must be a pretty cool dad.
Actually, I think just the opposite is true. I used to work way too much and I was hardly ever home. Now, with my new job, it's very different - less money, but more time at home - it's worth it when you either get to my age, or understand the true meaning of freedom when you're younger. Money is very over-rated. Time is very valuable.

The only rules I gave him with this bike: 1 - he can't ever sell it unless he gets a better bike, 2 - he can't give it away. I'm hoping we can relive the old days - Blanket's Creek, Chicopee, Yellow River, Bear Mountain, blah, blah, blah.

Those (goofy) credit card commercials where they spend money for this and that and then come up with the "priceless moment" . . . well, my memories of our rides years ago are really priceless to me and if we can get that going again - even if it's just now & then - that, to me, will certainly be priceless. I can't afford to waste opportunities with my kids - what could possibly be more fun than mountainbiking with your 16 year old?

Happy riding,

OD

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
that's really great to hear.

although i dont have kids, i am 34 and have two young brothers 14 and 15 yrs old. We have been riding bikes together ever since they were little. We travel alot to many many out of state mtb races. Mountian biking has brought us many small and large competitive victories and provided us a great challenge and always a new trip to look forward to . Socially speaking, because my "adult" friends are soo cool to them (practical jokes and road trip antics) and because the whole mountain bike community is soo cool, i really believe that they have a solid grasp of life outside their "high school" world. They dont soley seek the approval of their school piers (which sometimes leads to trouble) because of what mountain biking has given them, and me.

Biking is good. Good job on scoring the kid a new whip!

joel

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Jimmy_Pop said:
that's really great to hear.

although i dont have kids, i am 34 and have two young brothers 14 and 15 yrs old. We have been riding bikes together ever since they were little. We travel alot to many many out of state mtb races. Mountian biking has brought us many small and large competitive victories and provided us a great challenge and always a new trip to look forward to . Socially speaking, because my "adult" friends are soo cool to them (practical jokes and road trip antics) and because the whole mountain bike community is soo cool, i really believe that they have a solid grasp of life outside their "high school" world. They dont soley seek the approval of their school piers (which sometimes leads to trouble) because of what mountain biking has given them, and me.

Biking is good. Good job on scoring the kid a new whip!

joel

Dude, I couldn't agree more. Mountain biking is a great thing and a great way to get out and see the real world.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
that is so awesome old dude!!!! I rememer being 16.. sometimes 16 yr olds think they are two cool to hang with dad. you obviously proved him wrong

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . sometimes 16 yr olds think they are two cool to hang with dad. you obviously proved him wrong
Wait just a sec . . . I think he thinks we'll get to the trails together, mount up and then it'll be a natural case of "See ya!" and he'll be gone.

Maybe he'll wait up for me every once in a while.

(sigh)

Old_Dude

Monkey
We just got back from our first ride together - it was really awesome. We started out going a couple of miles of fairly flat fire roads then moved to some rolling single track. It was just beyond words how great it was to ride with him again. We were only out about a quarter mile when I realized I'd forgotten the camera - DOH!!!

At the end of our trip we stopped by a small lake and the sun was setting and we talked briefly. This trip alone was worth every penny paid for the bike.

I think some clip-in pedals and shoes to accommodate will be his first upgrade. At the end of the ride we swapped bikes. Riding his full suspension bike reminded me of the Fuel 90 I used to have - squishy, heavy. I don't think he likes my bike very much - understandable.

We got in the car about 20 minutes before it got dark - it was a most beautiful ride, wonderful time of day and we both had a great time.

Life is good - thanks for the comments.

Happy riding,

OD

Old_Dude

Monkey
Well, this was a photo after our 2nd ride together - my third ride on this bike . . . at least I didn't forget the camera this time, but . . . I didn't remember to take a photo until we were finished :idiot:. It really wasn't as dark as the photo seems . . . I need to learn how to use the camera . . . & I need to remember to use it out on the trails.

So, after two rides, we're really both enjoying our new bikes. I'm still amazed how great mine zips up the hills - must be due to the light weight, long cranks and larger wheels - climbs like a billy goat on crack.

(I have no idea how to attach files now . . . oh well, it was a lousy photo anyway I guess)

Happy riding,

OD

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
i thought we were getting pics?

well can you be my dad?!

hey man did you know that the nashbar disk brakes are Tektro IO's?