Quantcast

New Bike Frame Pr0n

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
2002 Rocky Mountain Vertex Team SC.

Its a 19.5" scandium frame i couldve went for 21" but the TT was too long. I got this on clearance really cheap and the frame is really beutiful, im happy :)

I don't have all the parts yet but buying one at a time, i have Sram 9.0 SL parts that im gonna use to build. If my calculation is correct the total bike weight comes in at around 18lb, imagining that i have all the parts im gonna use.

Attachments

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Very nice!

What's supposed to be the feeling of a Scandium bike compared to one made from a less exotic type of Alu (6061, 7005). Is it stiffer or more forgiving like a Steel or Ti frame.

Thanks!

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Originally posted by FlipSide
Very nice!

What's supposed to be the feeling of a Scandium bike compared to one made from a less exotic type of Alu (6061, 7005). Is it stiffer or more forgiving like a Steel or Ti frame.

Thanks!
People who own this bike say the ride feel is just like steel with stiffness and lightness of aluminum.

When I got this bike it felt like steel and aluminum bike because when i taped the frame it had that "ping" sound of steel but also had the muted sound of aluminum.

The TT tube size gets bigger as you approach the head tube and the ST gets bigger as you approach BB. :)

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
very pretty paint job on that ride. i feel much better about rocky mountain hardtails than most of their FS bikes. how are you going to get that to 18lbs? that's scary light, even for a hardtail. there's one on Weight Weenies (weightweenies.starbike.net) and it seems to be built pretty light, but it's only about 19.5...

ben.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by scofflaw23
i feel much better about rocky mountain hardtails than most of their FS bikes.
True! If I'd want to buy a XC hardtail, I would probably be a Blizzard. I love that frame.

:think:
...well of course my dream HT would be an IF, but I doubt I could afford one. :mad:

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
I've been thinking of building a Salsa scandium HT. The frame is sub 3#. What kind of durability will it have? Is it for race day only? Occassionnal 5ft drops OK ?

The paint job on the Rocky Mountain is so nice I'm going e-shopping now.:cool:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
The one on weight weenie are 2003 they seem to be slightly heavier than 2002.

I just weighed my frame with brake studs and seat collar, it came out to be 1340g (my scale might be about 5-10g off). I forgot to add the pedals so realistically 19-20 max, maybe i can get down to 18lb range. If I shave my rings, cut my seat about 1/4, replace every bolts, get lighter skewers and cable housing.

To Softy: I do not know anything about salsa frames but go over to "save some weight" forum at mtbr and ask, they might help you out. And it might depend on how smooth and light you are.
I have some friends who do 5-6 ft drops on there XC race (yes XC race) bike but there riding is smooth and they weigh little.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Thanks for the tip Babar. I should be OK cause at 190# I got nicknamed Softy for my riding style.

Wow I would be happy with a roadbike at 18#. Awesome build . Show us completed photos please.