Quantcast

new bike hauler...just need a rack

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I got a new vehicle to haul my bikes around, now I need to find a hitch mounted rack for it. I have never owned a rack before, I just usually haul the bikes in the my minivan. After searching on here it seems that the sportworks free ride rack gets pretty good reviews, so I am considering that one. Would it be compatible with my bikes (hood & bcd)? Can it haul more than 2 bikes? I have also seen racks made from converted hitch mounted load haulers, based on a rack like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=9919&R=9919
With a 1000lb capacity I wouldn't have to worry about overloading or breaking it. It's also less expensive than the sportworks, not factoring in the mods I would have to make. Does anyone have any tips for making it into a bike carrier, I think I have seen some pics of some on here?

Here are some pics of the Laforza:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Maybe you could weld a few bars on the cheap tray and then buy some Bob Ratchets to secure it too..... But unless you know what you're doin or know someone else you can trust i'd say just fork over the cash.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Skookum said:
Maybe you could weld a few bars on the cheap tray and then buy some Bob Ratchets to secure it too..... But unless you know what you're doin or know someone else you can trust i'd say just fork over the cash.
it's not economical to do this, since bob ratchets run ~$100 each. the above linked cargo carrier costs $150, while a full sportworks setup would run about $425 for the freerider model, or $325 for their new T2 model (see a lame pic of it at interbike here: http://www.bikemag.com/news/interbike/Interbike_roundup_111904/index6.html )

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
it's not economical to do this, since bob ratchets run ~$100 each. the above linked cargo carrier costs $150, while a full sportworks setup would run about $425 for the freerider model, or $325 for their new T2 model (see a lame pic of it at interbike here: http://www.bikemag.com/news/interbike/Interbike_roundup_111904/index6.html )
Yah and losing thousands of dollars from watching your bike skip off the pavement in your rearview mirror, driving 70 mph, cursing your pals shoddy weld work wouldn't be that economical either....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
but a pain in the butt to deal with when all you are riding is a pair of dh rigs and dealing with adapters and such. i have some fab skills and could probably do what would be needed but i say just get the sportworks and dont spend valuable riding/living time trying to come up with a solution for the other method. your time is valuable remember that.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Looks like I will probably go with the sportworks fr rack. I definately don't want to be taking the wheels off like on the above rack. I thought there would be more competition for that market segment (DH bike hitch mount racks), I know there isn't that big of a market for them, but still.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
no not a lot of competition, the sportworks pretty much owns them all anyway. i had one then sold it to a friend and it has been in constant use for 3 years. cool thing about it is you can lower it down and open your tailgate with bikes still on it. get the optional lock setup. locks the bikes and the rack into your receiver its woth the investment.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sportworks are good, but some have cracked with the weight of a few DH bikes. I don't know if they reinforced the newer ones. The next choice is a Hollywood, which works well, not as nice as the Sportworks, but functional for your $. I've used a Hollywood for 5 years and its still going strong. The only thing I do extra on mine is add extra strapping for the bikes.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Sportworks are good, but some have cracked with the weight of a few DH bikes. I don't know if they reinforced the newer ones. The next choice is a Hollywood, which works well, not as nice as the Sportworks, but functional for your $. I've used a Hollywood for 5 years and its still going strong. The only thing I do extra on mine is add extra strapping for the bikes.
i haven't heard of any sportworks cracking or breaking when the weight limit was respected. i bent mine, but only by overloading it by ~35%, and off-roading with it, both no-nos. the freerider model has an umblemished record afaik.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Brian HCM#1 said:
i've seen the older models and was able to compare with my newer Bob Ratchet. The newer ratchets are much beefier than the older ones.
and what's cool is it holds my 40plus lb bike w/tri clamp thru axle, by trail bike, my road bike, and my pal's bmx bike which he's kinda giving to me, kinda sorta.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Toshi said:
i haven't heard of any sportworks cracking or breaking when the weight limit was respected. i bent mine, but only by overloading it by ~35%, and off-roading with it, both no-nos. the freerider model has an umblemished record afaik.
What I read about the sportworks fr rack said that the weight limit for each bike was 50lbs. Do you think that 2 bikes (my hood and my friends banshee) close to 60lbs each would be too much (should be ok, right)? That is why I had an interest in converting the 1000lbs capacity load hauler at first. You would think it wouldn't be too difficult to make a commercial bike rack that was stronger.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
are you a drug lord?

i think you should shoot it a few times to make sure it works properly.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I run a basket like that, but paid ony ~$60 for it from a local truck supply store. It works awesome. I use a tie down on each side of the handle bar, and a toe strap around the rear wheel to keep it from moving. My gf has a Sportworks. The basket works very well. Cheap and doesn't mess with the spare tire carrier or liftgate on my Pathfinder. Yes the Sportworks is nicer, but the basket will end up costing you 75% less. I really do not think that you need to worry about 1,100 lb bike racks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
EDIT: On my basket, I turn the bars so that the front wheels fit into the corners of the rack. This keeps anything from moving.