Quantcast

new bike, help me choice

Sep 26, 2005
Concord, CA
ok, im lookin fo a bike right now. i'm stuck between a hardtail or full suspension. if i do go hardtail, i know i want the evil imperial, but i like doing some stuff that seems like it would just be smoother with a full suspension, so what would be a good full suspension bike for dirt jumping/urban riding to moderate downhill stuff? or should i just go hardtail? thanx

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
if ur doing downhill BUY A FULLY

i had a intresting experiance at sugar mtn. N.C. on my P.2 with a sherman flick plus 150mm, it really sucked ur rear bounces all over the place and u hav eto lean back like mad

the advantage of this is ull have really strong wrist!
if u dont ride dh much (never) get the imp

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I got that poster. If he clipped his rear tire on the rail that he bunnyhopped, he would be dead, no doubt about it.
Also, I cant tell if there is a down slope past the cars, cause he will need it at that hight.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yea it looks like hes going to catch backside on the otherside of those cars. that is burly.

and if your djing and riding urban more than downhilling, definitly get a hardtail. You'll like it more for the urban and dirtjumps, and its still fun riding dh.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
get a short travel fully.. look for 4x and dual slalom type of bikes. theres a guy selling a chumba 4x here on the board. that frame is around the $$ range of the imp. i was rockin the HT for about 3 months. went on one dh trail ride and said thats it. picked up Santa Cruz Bullit the other day.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
sublime_mx_311 said:
ok, im still debating, but if i do go full, whats a good full for dirt jumping/urban?
Go with a single-pivot FR frame or a 4X/Slalom frame. Single-pivot designs remain lightweight and simple, but are just as strong as any other FS bike (with the exception of a few). The other thing about single-pivot designs is that the wheelbase is kept very tight, so they are in most cases the ideal design for anyone using a FS bike to ride dirt jumps.

I used to ride urban all the time on my Cannondale Gemini, I just put a set of Maxxis Holy Rollers on it and get a 700lb. spring for the rear end. Any way you look at it, hardtails are better for urban, until you wanna go for some big stair gaps, but FS can still be easily ridden on urban stuff.

If you know you are going to be doing any agressive downhill, then definitely invest in a good full-suspension bike, since you can still ride them on dirt jumps and urban, if you want to. But if your only doing light DH and would rather focus on dirt jumps and urban, then definitely go with a hardtail.

Lastly, should you choose to go with a hardtail, then the Imperial is one of the best aluminum hardtails you can buy.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Ideally, I think this would be the perfect bike for you (and myself). It's Mountain Cycle's prototype "Slopestyle", and it's basically a super-beefy-short-travel frame. The only problem with it is that it's still a prototype.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
sublime_mx_311 said:
i'm still stuck, but does anybody have any specific suggestions as to what would be a good full suspension dual-slalom or 4x bike? links would be cool too
Santa Cruz Blur 4X
Intense Tazer VP
Cannondale Gemini 900
And now that I think about it, you should check out these. Slightly longer travel and better suited for downhill trails, but urban capable if need be. There are many more choices available, but here are a few to start you.
Banshee Chaparral
Transition Preston FR

Still, Full-Suspension rigs are NOT well suited for urban riding at all. A hardtail is the only way to truly use urban landscapes to their full potential, but these Full-Suspension bikes will probably suit you best, particularly the Banshee or the Transition.

Sep 26, 2005
Concord, CA
WKC said:
Santa Cruz Blur 4X
Intense Tazer VP
Cannondale Gemini 900
And now that I think about it, you should check out these. Slightly longer travel and better suited for downhill trails, but urban capable if need be. There are many more choices available, but here are a few to start you.
Banshee Chaparral
Transition Preston FR

Still, Full-Suspension rigs are NOT well suited for urban riding at all. A hardtail is the only way to truly use urban landscapes to their full potential, but these Full-Suspension bikes will probably suit you best, particularly the Banshee or the Transition.
thanks a lot. i'm leaning towards a full suspension cus i got my bmx bike for urban riding, i just want something that i could take out on some nice trails, tracks, etc. and also just ride around urban at times. i'm still debating though.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
sublime_mx_311 said:
thanks a lot. i'm leaning towards a full suspension cus i got my bmx bike for urban riding, i just want something that i could take out on some nice trails, tracks, etc. and also just ride around urban at times. i'm still debating though.
Oh okay, well you're covered then. The Intense and Santa Cruz would be better for track-type riding, but the Preston FR seems to suit you best all-around.

dablake914

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
Burlington, CT
urban riding completely sucks on a fully, without a doubt, unless youre doing urban downhill and just stair gaps. I'd say if you know you will be doing more urban than downhill, get a hardtail, and if more dh then urban, go fully