Quantcast

New bike (I even put it together myself)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My first road bike arrived today looking like this.....

And through the magic of modern tools, I turned it into this....

So, this is a mountain biker's forray into the world of cycling. I've got some spandex already, so at least I can pretend to play the part. Wish me luck!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I usually use a level and set it across the nose of the seat and one of the sides on the rear. Get it level that way and then ride it for a while to make minor adjustments. Your bars are also rolled to far forward it looks like. The last couple inches of the drop should be parallel to the ground.

*edit* -- Looking good though!! Get out and put some miles on it!! :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
yeah, I noticed these things when I got up this morning and gave it a fresh lookover. Thanks for the input, though.

Questions: do I need a special tool to install a set of pedals on my cranks? I tried a wrench but that didn't seem to work.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
bluebug32 said:
Questions: do I need a special tool to install a set of pedals on my cranks? I tried a wrench but that didn't seem to work.
Some you need a pedal wrench for, some you can just use an 8mm allen wrench. Look on the end of the spindle that threads into the crank and see if there a socket for an allen wrench there. If there is just use that. I think you could also use a box end wrench or adjustable wrench to do it. One of the cranks is reverse threaded, so a trick I learned is when you put pedals on always turn towards the front of the bike. Then when you take pedals always turn towards the rear.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Morryjg said:
I usually use a level and set it across the nose of the seat and one of the sides on the rear. Get it level that way and then ride it for a while to make minor adjustments.
hehe - I just suggested this over in the Lounge! Great minds think alike :thumb:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I picked up a pedal wrench and a nice floor pump today. I felt kind of bad buying it from the guy who measured me for a road bike and spent a lot of time going over their road bikes with me. I just didn't have $600 or $700 to spend right now, when I can decent entry level name brand online for around $400. And I'm not even sure that road biking is my thing yet. I'm sure people do it all the time. I just hate not supporting my LBS when I can.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Great ride... have fun! Don't worry about the LBS, either. I shopped and shopped at local LBSs when I needed a new mt bike. I ended up getting it on the internet because no one could match the deal. I felt bad, too... but what can you do? I buy all my gear and parts at the LBS, not to mention tune ups, so that's how I justify it. When you've got a set budget, no one can hold that against you.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
G-Cracker said:
Great ride... have fun! Don't worry about the LBS, either. I shopped and shopped at local LBSs when I needed a new mt bike. I ended up getting it on the internet because no one could match the deal. I felt bad, too... but what can you do? I buy all my gear and parts at the LBS, not to mention tune ups, so that's how I justify it. When you've got a set budget, no one can hold that against you.
Definitely. It's hard enough when you're young to find the money to pay for bike related things, but doubly hard to support someone just for the sake of supporting a shop. Even with this internet deal, I'm going to need to really watch my spending for awhile.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Congo Rats!

Suggestion: After you get your bike setup close to what's right, continue making fit/comfort adjustments over time; however, only change one thing at a time, note where it was before and if it's better, cool. Then change something else.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I still have a lot of tweaking to do and the cables need to be tightened. I'm not going to upgrade anything. I'm going to leave it for the season, ride it on the trainer in the winter and then see where I'm at.