Quantcast

New bike.. I need help!

lilflip#2

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Give or take I have 1400 dollars to spend on a new or used bike.
I want full suspension, hydro. brakes, etc.
The bike I'm considering is buying my friends used 03 Specialized Enduro Expert for a $1,000 dollars flat. Is that a good deal? The bike just got a tune up at Cycle world on Reseda and Parthenia (San Fernando Valley California), it just got a new deurailer installed (xt) new rear rim, and brand new armadillo tires.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...gjtvawgx.j27012

Also what other bikes are within my price range that are as good or better.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Have you ridden it? My old enduro (2000) had a pretty low bottom bracket. Never really bothered me because I just learned where to place pedals on rough sections, but something to think about. Do they still use bushings instead of bearings?

darkstar

Chimp
Jun 30, 2004
the O.C.
sounds like a good buy for $1000 assuming it is in good shape. this bike is best suited for xc and extremely mild dh or freeriding. i had an '03 enduro comp and it lasted me an entire year. it is not a stable bike on anything too steep or too rocky/ rooted. also with the interupted seat tube make sure you get the right size frame or a telescoping seat post as it is difficult to be able to have full extension for pedaling and be able to lower the seat enough for downhills without hitting the shock with the post. hope that helps...

lilflip#2

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Thanks for the tips. The bike is in good shape and just got a tune up. Only thing it needs is new brake pads. Isn't Specialized better than Iron Horse though? :confused:

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
lilflip#2 said:
Thanks for the tips. The bike is in good shape and just got a tune up. Only thing it needs is new brake pads. Isn't Specialized better than Iron Horse though? :confused:
All depends on how it feels when you ride it. Once you make it past the quality of Huffy/Pacific/department store bikes, it is mostly how the bike feels to you. What works for one person doesn't necessarily for the other.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I forgot to add, that the Enduro is a really nice ride. I loved mine. If I could have afforded to keep it and get a new mt bike I would have.