Quantcast

New Bike - Morewood Kalula

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Well...almost new at least. I managed to get my hands on the show Kalula that they had at Interbike. It looks way different now.

I took it up to Windrock last weekend to do some laps and get the suspension dialed. This thing rips! :thumb: I'm a sport level rider and I've never been able to corner very well - until now. This thing digs right in and bounces out.

It took a few runs to get the high speed dialed but I believe it's properly set up now. The 7" of travel feels bottomless with the CCDB tuned right. It feels good in the air and on the ground alike.

My only gripe with the bike is the sizing. The medium frame is pretty darn small and if I could trade it for a large I probably would. Oh well...it rips so hard I'm keeping it regardless.

Potential buyers be forewarned - buy a size larger than you think you'll need and expect to spend A LOT of time tuning the rear. Now that I have that part finished, I absolutely can't wait to race it next season. ;)

Sorry for the crappy phone pics...

First day out:

At Windrock:

With her big brother (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226328):

Don't know what it weighs but it's pretty damned light. Hopefully I can get around to a scale soon.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Second the comparison question. Also what bikes have you tried before and if you can please compare.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yeah I rode a Shova LT before the Kalula. The Shova was freakin' awesome but I wanted to try something new. The Kalula is slacker and lower and I think that's why I feel like I can corner better.

The Makulu is a beast. That thing is built to go really fast at high speed. Although I really like the bike and it feels insanely stable, I don't think it's the bike for my riding style.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Got bad news for you. When you let me spin around on it, I rubbed my sack on it. Yeah...it's pretty much "taint"ed now.:wink:

But seriously, Kenan is not kidding about the sizing. Think 2002 Turner DHR with a slack head angle and lower BB! If you like a quick bike, it's all in! But with the slack angles, it's not a twitchy slalom kid. It's a racer style cockpit.

I'd say girls can get their mitts on the cash for it, I'd guess a size small Kalula would be amazing for them.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hey guys, do any of you have some info regarding the Kalula availability date (and price)? I couldn't find anything detailed about Kalula, it's one of the hot candidates for my new bike.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
They are available as of now. I know the uk morewood guys propell have had a few in already and theres more due in very shortly. Waiting on my Makulu talking to them yesterday and there was talk of a big order in this side of xmas hopefully with my bike on it. So get intouch with your local morewood agents and they should be to give you more details

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
They are available as of now. I know the uk morewood guys propell have had a few in already and theres more due in very shortly. Waiting on my Makulu talking to them yesterday and there was talk of a big order in this side of xmas hopefully with my bike on it. So get intouch with your local morewood agents and they should be to give you more details
your sig and your avatar conflict.:clue:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

QUOTE]

If you see distinct fingerprints and heavy breathing fog on that bike, that would be from me. Look at my Izimu in the back of my truck all jealous from the heavy petting I was laying down on your bike.
That bike is sick and it is lower and slacker than I thought too.
Is it Christmas yet?:D

P.S. So we have established that the Iphone sucks as an actual phone by your lack of coverage. Well, it ain't winning no awards either as a camera!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think, this frame is really beautiful but its price is really above my limit.

But what surprised me more, is the huge price difference. Kalula framekit in Czech rep. is for 2087 EUR (according to Czech dealer response), German dealer sells it for 2499 EUR, in Norway for 2790 EUR :confused:, etc. Quite a broad spread, isn't it?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wellcome to yurp. It's normal around here ;)

BTW. I'm begining to think tht Cz. Reps have the best prices on everything.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Morewood sure does build some of the fastest looking bikes around.

That 7" bike seems like it would be way too much fun for most of the riding I do.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I want one built with that fancy ass Bos single crown fork, like the one they were showing off at the shows.

P.S. So we have established that the Iphone sucks as an actual phone by your lack of coverage. Well, it ain't winning no awards either as a camera!
But... Its like an Apple product and stuff...

I keed I keed.