Quantcast

New bike on the way... should I use the new fork or rock my old?

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I stole a 2009 commencal supreme 1 from chainlove earlier today, now I'm debating on whether or not I should keep the 66 RCV it comes with or use the lyrik u-turn I have now.
The main reasons for using the lyrik are I already have the extra soft spring in it which suits my weight well, also I'm reluctant to trust 'zoke after the '08 lineup... doesn't help that I've read the stanchions develop slack in the bushings quickly, and I could probably get more selling it than my beat-up lyrik.

About the only reasons I can think of not to use the lyrik are that it looks like it has been through hell and the damper and seals need replaced asap, though I have seals on the way.

The frame has an adjustable headset +/- one degree and I don't need the 180mm of travel so the shortness of the lyrik isn't of much concern.

Any input would be much appreciated.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Depends on whether or not you live in an area of the world where you can buy Marz spare parts easily and get good tech advice. Basically the damper in the RCV is rubbish. Not even close to keeping up with that bike/fork chassis.
The Lyric would out perform it hugely and at slack HA setting you would have a pretty low/just about slack enough bike that would be a lot of fun. I would only worry about BB height - but that is very personal.
The marzocchi is heavier and stronger but unless you can swap out the damper for an rc3 you would have a much worse fork than the lyric.
Either way - if you fix up your lyric or mod the 66 I think you'll be spending more coin! At least the rear suspension on those seems pretty well planted with any of the dampers I've seen in them (Vanilla, DHX, RC4, ROCO, BOS!) so I doubt you'll be looking at getting any more than your spring rate sorted in the rear initially.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I live in the middle of nowhere, not a bike shop within like 2 hours, but my brother works at a bike shop in texas so I can get a pretty good hook-up on parts. So far I'm definitely leaning toward the lyrik since I found a 2010 damper for <$100.

One thing I wasn't sure about was how the BB would be, that's one of the many things that steered me away from buying an intense slopestyle frame. I still lack the smoothness/speed since haven't been into DH long, but I figure the low BB might force me into being faster by making huck off a rock rather than rolling it.

You seem familiar with the frame so what spring weight would recommend? I have a 300 on my reign and it's a bit too squish so hopefully it'll work out well on the commencal. I'm guessing since the linkage is progressive that a lot of sag wouldn't be desirable.

Glad to here I won't be tempted into buying an Elka or something for the rear though..

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'd like to sell both and get the lyrik 170, but I gotta have the money to make a car payment.. As of right now I plan on getting the DH damper then paint the lowers when I get time to put the seals in.

No pics yet, just ordered it today. Anyone else order a bike from chainlove? How long should I expect shipping to take? I'm hoping it gets here before the weekend so I can break it in at Windrock.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
No idea on spring rate sorry, but have you tried the Commencal owners forum? It links off their website from memory. As far as BB height is concerned just have a measure when it arrives and compare it to your old bike.
The sell both forks and buy a new one plan is probably worth considering....But I'd wait until it arrived and you have had a go on it. You just cant make good guesses until you've tried it on your trails. Things like handlebar width, preferred stem length, pedals, tyre grip, suspension settings, etc all affect each other and you need to work it out step by step.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yeah I know what you mean, the past year I've spent plenty of money and time researching to get my reign to where it feels semi-condifent on the downhill, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can up front.