Quantcast

New bike or new shock

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK, here's another solicitation-of-opinion-despite-the-fact-that-I-should-decide-for-myself-thread:

Currently own and ride a Turner RFX for my DHing and FRing and whatnot. It's been my dream bike to own, and I've had it for 2.5 years or so now. It's got a dual chainring and is pretty light, but if I'm riding trail, I use my lighter hardtail. This bike is pretty much exclusively shuttled and used on a chairlift (and now that big bear is closed, well, there goes that.)

However, in this capacity, I've noticed that it's just not a DH bike. It's too tall and not slack enough to really keep up in the steep and fast, and (especially) the front wheel hangs up a bunch due to the steeper HA.

Been thinking of selling it and getting a "real" Dh bike. However, it's a hard choice to make, especially with Big Bear gone and me possibly moving for a job next year, location unknown...might find I want my pedalable freeride rig again.

So here's my thought: Instead of a whole new bike, I *could* get a new Avalanche shock. I'm running an Avy right now, 7.5x2.25, which gives about 6 3/4" travel. (stock is 7.5x2.) Geometry is 14.5" BB and about a 69 HA. If I got a 7x2, it'd go back to 6" travel (not an issue at ALL), and the BB would drop to 13.5" with a 67 or so HA. I just messed with the bike and measured all this out...and the suspension still has clearance to work with the shorter shock.

Any thought on how this might affect the suspension, rate-wise?

I'm open to other shock brands, but I don't think anyone does a 7" i-i length besides avy. I was hoping to find a used OEM Fox 7.25x2 at one point and have it Pushed, but that's been a losing battle, and I'd really want to get the shorter 7" anyhow.

So what's your opinion? New shock for about $550, or whole new bike? The new shock wouldn't have much resale value, for sure...no one would have use for a 7" shock, and I doubt its inclusion will up the selling price of an old beatup RFX by much.

Those Sundays sure are nice... :)

MD

Edit: That's wierd; it appears 7" i-i shocks are no longer on the Avalanche website. Was I dreaming when I saw them there yesterday??

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree. There's nothing like going downhill on a downhill bike. I tried the "make 1 bike do all" and it didn't work. I figured 5" front and back would be enough. Now that I have a full 9" in the rear it helps :) Plus the shiver in the front. I have a bike to pedal and a bike to just go downhill. Best of both worlds.

Plus if you think about it you'll beat yourself if you keep messing with the Turner and trying to make it a "DH" type of rig. It's just easier in the end to get a whole new bike.

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
now.. i'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff.. but wouldn't it be the same thing if you just increased your sag by about .25" ??
basically effectively lowering the bike, increasing the HA, and keeping the same shock.

i'm not sure if this would work, you'd probably have to go with a softer spring to acceive the increased sag, and that might make you prone to bottoming it out easier.

---- oh wait, i just read your #'s again, and you'd have to increase your sag by .5" to get the same geometry, which would effectively reduce your travel over a 7x2 by .5 shock travel and 1.5" suspension travel (i think).. and i dont know if you'd want to do that.
but couldn't you setup a 7.25x2.25 to effectively be the same as a 7 x 2 except with .25" more shock travel (.75" more suspension travel) at full droop??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Isn't the reason to own something like an RFX so that you can use it as a multi-purpose rig?

All-purpose bikes don't do any one thing particularly well. They're a little too heavy for trail riding, a little too steep for downhill riding, a little too tall for racing...

If you're going to use a bike for a specific purpose, buy a purpose-specific bike, IMO.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
like binary said, do-it-all bikes don't excel at anything in particular. think about how often you take the RFX out on rides where a dh bike would be totally excessive. and how often do you do rides where the RFX isn't enough?

it's a tough call. i think your best bet would be to ride a few dh bikes at your regular trails and see if the experience is a whole lot better. then you'll be able to make a decision based on experience rather than speculation.

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
We all know you're going to talk yourself into a new bike if you're even remotely thinking about it. :p

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, if I wasn't likely to move, or if Big Bear was still open, even, the choice would be pretty simple. Still, I've got a lightly used DH bike coming that I just picked up for a steal, so I'll be able to try it out and see how I like it. (Heck, it's a Cannondale Gemini, so if I wanted to, I could even slap a front derailleur and my DRS guide on it someday...)

Thanks for the comments. I think if the C'Dale doesn't work out for me, I'll sell it at a profit (little concerned about the size and geometry, but it'll be fun to try out) and look at buying the Avalanche if they still make a 2" stroke.

Even if it does work out, I'll probably hang on to the RFX frame until I find out where I'm moving and what I'll be doing. If I end up someplace where I need to pedal instead of shuttle for my DH fix, I'll bring the RFX back to life.

I just have a hard time parting with a classic bike like this, especially because I probably won't get a lot of money for it. Odd, because usually we can't wait to sell off the old and get new bike stuff, eh? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, #1, I get the job, and #2, I get to sent to LA or San Fran instead of say, Chicago or Houston. Nothing against the city, but a DH bike doesn't seem really useful there.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mtbpaint said:
by the way i still hate you for taking my Gemini which i was GOING to buy. IF you sell it deffinately PM me!!!
Well, that hurts my feelings, but I'll let you know if I do...

MD

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You are supposed to run mad sag (40%) on those Gemini DH's, so the BB height won't be that high. Dexq20 should be able to fill you in.

And keep that RFX, its too sweet to part with.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zark said:
You are supposed to run mad sag (40%) on those Gemini DH's, so the BB height won't be that high. Dexq20 should be able to fill you in.

And keep that RFX, its too swee to part with.
Yeah, I read Neversummersnow's review...it's kinda crazy. With that 200mm 888 in front, I'll have to run it really deep in its travel, too.

Plus, I just looked at a ruler, and man, .5" higher on the bb (even accounting for sag) isn't really that much. I should worry more about riding than the numbers as seen on the Internet. Plus, I like long cranks.

I'm looking forward to riding this thing. Sounds like it handles really well (mmm, stiff), and as a guy who rides a hardtail a lot, I dunno if I'll miss the travel all that much. Then again, I don't live in SB.

MD

mtbpaint

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
University of Connecticut
i heard that the Gemini is TERRIBLe just so crappy that it will break if u even try riding it I HEARD that they are nothing what you are looking for so you should do wat was suppost to be done and selll it to me

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mtbpaint said:
i heard that the Gemini is TERRIBLe just so crappy that it will break if u even try riding it I HEARD that they are nothing what you are looking for so you should do wat was suppost to be done and selll it to me

Good point. How's $2000 sound?

MD