Quantcast

New Bike Park Planning/Design

BikeParkNooB

Chimp
Jan 20, 2012
Greetings Monkeys!!!-

So, I know Im new here, but please be kind and help a fellow humble, mountain biker follow through with his dreams. :D

I come to you all today for some advice, information, stats, data, etc.... about the in's and out's of building a bike park.

Obviously there are MANY, MANY variables that can dictate the outcome.
But for the sake of ease, let's just assume we are talking about your "average" size, "average EPIC-ness" off the course.

A group of spent the summer touring around the States checking out some of our sweet parks...and have come up with a plan to build our own back home in Michigan.

We have the Land, Labor, and Money......BUT>....HOW MUCH DO WE NEED?

*What's the average Overall Costs for something like this?
*How long will it take to build?
-how many workers needed? By Hand? Heavy Equipment?
* What materials are needed?
- What EXACTLY type of "Trail Base" is needed.
- Lumber?
-OTHER?
* What about INsurance?
* What about Inrastructure? Bathrooms? Parking?

Again, I'm not so much looking to find out HOW to build it....but rather , How much TIME and MONEY it will take

Thank you all...
ANY information will be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers
Steven

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
As you mentioned, there are so many variables that you need to define before you can even get close to a number on how much time and $$$ it will take. Follow Jonkranked's suggestion and double whatever price you come up with. By "Bike Park" I assume you are talking about an area with a pumptrack, wood features, drops, jumps, etc?? If you already own the land, and expect it all to be done with volunteer labor, then you are a huge step ahead, $$$ wise.

Last edited:

BikeParkNooB

Chimp
Jan 20, 2012
Hey mandown, Please, humor me...i'm not tryin' to spoil anything here, just some harmless questions asked.

and AngryMetal, suppose I have Plenty of spades and know EXACTly how to use them;

and ICEBALL, yes, money of course, which is at the heart of my question; and which I also have plenty.

Uncly Cliffy....hmmmmm....Chairlift, not a bad idea. You were being sarcastic but would YOU pay for chairlift accessable downhill riding??

Scrub...nice catch!...maybe I was lying.....maybe it's a secret?

Motomike...On further investigation I've discovered that a "Bike Park" (like the one you mention, and the one I assumed I was funding) is not exactly "needed" in my area; Buuuut, a great singletrack/ downhill/ crosscountry course IS! So, I think that's where I'm heading. With probably a designated area for a small "Skills Course" as well.

SkaredShtles- AWESOME Park, thanks for the link.. I'll PM you.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Where in Michigan might this be? I may know a few guys who would be extremely interested in helping to do some trail design.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Hey mandown, Please, humor me...i'm not tryin' to spoil anything here, just some harmless questions asked.

Scrub...nice catch!...maybe I was lying.....maybe it's a secret?
Maybe you were lying and now your location is a secret??? Great start! you asked if Cliffy would pay??Hahahaha You say you have plenty of money Hahaha and your asking the posters on RM for advice Hahahaha

Good Luck! you'll need it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Who has the money and wants to open a bike park but doesn't know that people ride chairlifts for downhill access? Is this a joke? I suggest you do a little research before you lose a LOT of money.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Well workers related, you need an EMT, counter people to hand out tickets and what not, mechanics if you plan on offering a shop or rental office
Rentals, those get pricey
Gas
paying the lift
leases
nd the list goes on

but I hope you can pull it off!

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Greetings Monkeys!!!-

So, I know Im new here, but please be kind and help a fellow humble, mountain biker follow through with his dreams. :D

I come to you all today for some advice, information, stats, data, etc.... about the in's and out's of building a bike park.

Obviously there are MANY, MANY variables that can dictate the outcome.
But for the sake of ease, let's just assume we are talking about your "average" size, "average EPIC-ness" off the course.

A group of spent the summer touring around the States checking out some of our sweet parks...and have come up with a plan to build our own back home in Michigan.

We have the Land, Labor, and Money......BUT>....HOW MUCH DO WE NEED?

*What's the average Overall Costs for something like this?
*How long will it take to build?
-how many workers needed? By Hand? Heavy Equipment?
* What materials are needed?
- What EXACTLY type of "Trail Base" is needed.
- Lumber?
-OTHER?
* What about INsurance?
* What about Inrastructure? Bathrooms? Parking?

Again, I'm not so much looking to find out HOW to build it....but rather , How much TIME and MONEY it will take

Thank you all...
ANY information will be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers
Steven
There is a guy named Shawn hanging out in Tahoe he will take care of you

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Tree fiddy. Build a big 400 tonne concrete ball at the top of hill and let it roll down the hill. Build the trail in its path. Call it the bigass ball trail. Then build an exact copy of the The Monongahela Incline to get us up the hill. I expect a free lifetime pass for my fee.....spouses_1.jpg