Quantcast

New Bike Products

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I refuse the believe that forged carbon fiber isn’t viable for lowers, especially for one of the companies that would have monthly sales counted in dozens.
Pace cycles made CF suspension forks for years over in england I had a couple of them (a set of RC35's then a set of RC36 proclass), the lowers were certainly tough enough.

*edit*
They still make a version as an xc retro fork!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Also, stanchions, igus sells hollow linear rods from carbon that have a little shorter wear life than anodized aluminum at 1/4 the weight. With the prevalence of tube in tube air springs as cartridge dampers the issues with any id tolerance on the shafting.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Pace cycles made CF suspension forks for years over in england I had a couple of them (a set of RC35's then a set of RC36 proclass), the lowers were certainly tough enough.

*edit*
They still make a version as an xc retro fork!
I had the RC37 evo - a 110mm triple clamp that exploded multiple times. I “upgraded” to an 03 drop off…which also sucked.
The carbon fibre was trick though

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Good memory Brother. I need a 45 or 40 if possible,stem with a rise. The short part comes in on the sterror tube. I am runnin a Thompson 35. New stem only has so much room? I think I have 6mm below,5mm above the stem? Fork is a 5” Zokie SC Tribute to the Z1. 2006? I also wanted to get a black Thompson setback to complete the cockpit change. Current is Black straight. I have the room to open up toodles,it’s the Implant and I felt like it could help?

You just blew Dust off the shelf.

Avy

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
They need that pit the position sensitive compression damping in forks but it needs to be 10% to either side of sag vs 0-10%.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
In all of history I don't think theres ever been a bad position sensitive shock out there. Literally can't go tits up.

Edit: actually bothering to read about it makes it seem way less egregious from a performance standpoint than I was afraid of, and seems like it'll make for pretty minimal changes beyond added complexity. A hydraulic bottom out isn't exactly end times, and a bypass valve to remove all compression damping entirely in the top 10% of the travel seems pretty benign and minor since I'll be way past it at sag.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I wonder if any OEMs are looking at these:

OEMS generally like to let something survive on the open market for some time before they start trying it out. And big OEMS like to do it themselves and remove as much of the third party stuff as possible.

So I'd say that's probably a hard no for now.

But if they're good and work well, that attitude may change in 5-10 years.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I hear you. I have no interest beyond a passing one as I know the Director of Material at Arris and they definetely have robust engineering standards that surpass the bike industry in general, and a proven track record.

I personally avoid carbon like the plague, but the nerd in me would love to AB comparison the ride quality.

OEMS generally like to let something survive on the open market for some time before they start trying it out. And big OEMS like to do it themselves and remove as much of the third party stuff as possible.

So I'd say that's probably a hard no for now.

But if they're good and work well, that attitude may change in 5-10 years.

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
Did I just accidentally took one step closer to o-man-chain with this rubberized chain-o-control device?

IMG_0045.jpeg