Quantcast

New Bike Products

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can I get a Brita water filter, cut the magical carbon out, fill a pot pourri bag, hang it in my fork and that makes it a coil fork that I can adjust for seasonal fatness, yes?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Novyparts has launched a coil damper
https://www.novyparts.com/novya-amortisseur-suspension-vtt-novyparts/novya-amortisseur-developpe-par-novyparts/novya-amortisseur-suspensions-vtt.html

It should be easy to service, reliable, free of marketing BS and available in custom lengths/strokes. Personalised valving is also included.

Early adopters were thrilled. FWIW

Paul Aston bought one and will certainly talk about it in a near future.
Stay tuned!
He already mentioned it here:

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Novyparts has launched a coil damper
https://www.novyparts.com/novya-amortisseur-suspension-vtt-novyparts/novya-amortisseur-developpe-par-novyparts/novya-amortisseur-suspensions-vtt.html

It should be easy to service, reliable, free of marketing BS and available in custom lengths/strokes. Personalised valving is also included.

Early adopters were thrilled. FWIW

Paul Aston bought one and will certainly talk about it in a near future.
Stay tuned!
I thought when they announced that shock 6-7 months ago it was only $600, not $800.
I know the Euro didn't change that much...:phone:

Looks worthy of investigating for sure. HBO, easy to service, standard size seals (and I assume shims).
Alloy damper shaft will not like the trunnionz.

"Maintenance with a single key, without the need to empty the nitrogen tank"
Curious about this one....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Was it White Brothers that used to have a magnetic valve to reduce pedal bob?
Hmmm...That is a good question. White Bros are now MRP, right? I think the weight had something to do with that implementation.

Cars have that tech. I know mine does. "Sport Mode" on the suspension is activated by magnets to stiffen things up. Works awesome. But it doesn't last forever. I only know this because the manufacturer gave a recall. And I'm pretty sure it's time for a 2nd replacement. (currently at 150K miles 2013 model)

I remember a Vital MTB "ask me anything" with Dave Camp, someone asked a similar question using magnets in suspension. And it came down to weight. Not performance. I could be wrong.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmmm...That is a good question. White Bros are now MRP, right? I think the weight had something to do with that implementation.

Cars have that tech. I know mine does. "Sport Mode" on the suspension is activated by magnets to stiffen things up. Works awesome. But it doesn't last forever. I only know this because the manufacturer gave a recall. And I'm pretty sure it's time for a 2nd replacement. (currently at 150K miles 2013 model)

I remember a Vital MTB "ask me anything" with Dave Camp, someone asked a similar question using magnets in suspension. And it came down to weight. Not performance. I could be wrong.
Is your car a GM vehicle?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fox Terralogic?
Maybe but WB for sure.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I thought when they announced that shock 6-7 months ago it was only $600, not $800.
I know the Euro didn't change that much...:phone:

Looks worthy of investigating for sure. HBO, easy to service, standard size seals (and I assume shims).
Alloy damper shaft will not like the trunnionz.

"Maintenance with a single key, without the need to empty the nitrogen tank"
Curious about this one....
Pre-order price was 650€. Now 700€.

The featuresare indeed appealing. I would have bought one but the design does not fit a Ransom...

This maintenance without emptying the piggy is strange, I agree. I guess that the IFP is topping out at full extension of the shaft. It would mean that the oil is not pressurised until the shaft has moved a little. Why? I don't know

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh man, more PUSH drama. Didn't even know about this one....

https://www.facebook.com/norman.cobb.90/posts/pfbid0ihBWPyLH5WrL5a1BcScHhZjmR1hnYctmysb2VFXXJPRpXoLHxJ9Uctu9WtN7Gu8Rl

I'd like to see that NZ shock apart, could be a solid option if it's not more than $600 USD. Haven't seen a parabolic rebound needle being used in an mtb a long time!
It's not really surprising though. Something is just "off" at Push. We got the thread here where Darren swears up and down the HC97 isn't a poppet valve damper...and then goes on to describe exactly a poppet valve damper. It just doesn't make sense.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It wouldn't be the first time Fox say they improve something when they don't :brows:
X2 was launched in 2016 and they haven't figured out how to make it last yet...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It wouldn't be the first time Fox say they improve something when they don't :brows:
X2 was launched in 2016 and they haven't figured out how to make it last yet...

You have to look at it from Fox's perspective. The majority of riders want a shock with little to no friction so they don't feel a thing while slowly riding glassy smooth flow trails on their 170mm enderpo bikes, which makes reliability a challenge. Those owners are also unlikely to ride enough to wear anything out. Not to mention the challenge of tuning a suspension to remain stable for riders grabbing a handful of rear brake at the apex of a bermed corner.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Is this an American thing?

The vast majority of European and Brit mtbers still ride ~120mm travel bikes and hardtails on smooth manmade trails.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
A few years back I was all for natural trails, tolerating berms only when really necessary. Nowadays I don't mind flow trails with berms. They are more relaxing to nail the flow on than chunky natural trails. I enjoy more the diversity now that I look at the trails from my son's perspective.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"Tolerating"?

That's very good of you when someone's presumably taken the time, trouble and expense to build them.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this an American thing?

The vast majority of European and Brit mtbers still ride ~120mm travel bikes and hardtails on smooth manmade trails.
I think it is very much a regional thing. Where I Iived in Virginia it was very roadie centric and most everyone rode XC bikes. Which was perfect for a lot of trails but perhaps underbiked in the actual mountains. I settled on an over-forked xc bike. Take a road trip to nearby towns with no mountains but a "roadies are fags" attitude and everyone was pedalling around XC trails on freeride bikes with slammed seats.

Here there are certainly trails worthy of big bikes but that seems to be the default starting point for most people even if they have no desire to progress beyond simple flow trails

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've just ridden "one bike" for the past 15 years. 170-180ish. uzzi vp then nomad. builds legs pedaling on local crap; perfect for mountains days; never felt like it held me back at snowshoe, etc.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
"Tolerating"?

That's very good of you when someone's presumably taken the time, trouble and expense to build them.
I have been building and maintaining trails before. Much less now than before to be honest.
Still, I feel that many trail builders will put a berm whenever they can while the inside line would still be more fun and much faster. Why spend time trouble and expense to build a berm in that case?
A few years back I would tolerate a berm that would allow a logical link between two features that wouldn't be possible without the said berm. Now I like to push my bike from one berm to the other, just for the sake of it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
an Earl Grey tea bag is the one
Gary,I Love Guy Martin( Isle of Man TT). This Man Loves Tea,Earl Tea. One video I saw of him he said there is “only One Way to make Tea proper”,it has tobe done this way or it ain’t right. You must put the Sugar & Milk in First,with the tea bag,Not After. The Hot water Blends everything to perfection. That is how I do it now,shit,I do it with Coffee as well. How about you? Sugar and Milk?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gary,I Love Guy Martin( Isle of Man TT). This Man Loves Tea,Earl Tea. One video I saw of him he said there is “only One Way to make Tea proper”,it has tobe done this way or it ain’t right. You must put the Sugar & Milk in First,with the tea bag,Not After. The Hot water Blends everything to perfection. That is how I do it now,shit,I do it with Coffee as well. How about you? Sugar and Milk?

Avy
Guy Martin is a very entertaining (Though rarely intentionally) personality but being Autistic (Aspy). I'm sure you'll agree, his views on many things can be a bit stubborn and narrowminded.
He doesn't drink Earl Grey tea. Being from Lincolnshire he'll drink Linkolnshire, Tetley or Yorkshire tea like almost every working class man from the North of England he'll think Earl Grey is poncy/fancy. I've heard him say in interviews he likes Tetley which really isn't a very good tea. And anyone who puts a tea bag in cold milk thinking it will brew properly when you pour the water in is an idiot. also anyone who has to have milk (or sugar) in their tea clearly doesn't actually like the taste of tea.
#irony

Ps. If you haven't seen it find "when Guy met Danny" on youtube whre he meets Danny Hart to go mountainbiking. another perfect example of Guy being funny AF (unintentionally)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have been building and maintaining trails before. Much less now than before to be honest.
Still, I feel that many trail builders will put a berm whenever they can while the inside line would still be more fun and much faster. Why spend time trouble and expense to build a berm in that case?
A few years back I would tolerate a berm that would allow a logical link between two features that wouldn't be possible without the said berm. Now I like to push my bike from one berm to the other, just for the sake of it.
Fair enough.
I have a local hill a few miles from me in Estate grounds that originally had natural single track descents which BITD were always shared amicably by walkers, bikers and horse riders. Then over a decade or so bikers built jumps and berms that were "tolerated" by the land owners. And yeah. many of the berms were less fun than the flat corners there previously. It became far more bike parky than natural but the land owners still "tolerated" it. that is until some new houses were built on the Estate and their new residents took a dislike to biking for some reason. Various meetings and so forth between the land owners, builder/riders and residents were had in an attempt to appease the issue and a few trails were given wooden safety fences to slow "traffic" where they crossed other paths. But the new residents still weren't happy so started sabotaging trails and features eventually getting together and having everything flattened. That was a couple of years back now and the trails are now not far off how they were 20years back when I first rode there. I still occasionally ride there. but in more of a cut through on an XC ride than going to the spot to ride. Despite living a few minutes ride away the main trail builder refused to go near the place after it had been flattened and spent the last 2 years since covid lockdown travelling 30 minutes by car building a whole new network of bermy jumpy trails without permission. A friend just told me those have now also just recently been flattened.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Avy
People that are adamant about there being one and only way to do subjective (and ultimately inconsequential) things can go jump in a lake.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Guy Martin is a very entertaining (Though rarely intentionally) personality but being Autistic (Aspy). I'm sure you'll agree, his views on many things can be a bit stubborn and narrowminded.
He doesn't drink Earl Grey tea. Being from Lincolnshire he'll drink Linkolnshire, Tetley or Yorkshire tea like almost every working class man from the North of England he'll think Earl Grey is poncy/fancy. I've heard him say in interviews he likes Tetley which really isn't a very good tea. And anyone who puts a tea bag in cold milk thinking it will brew properly when you pour the water in is an idiot. also anyone who has to have milk (or sugar) in their tea clearly doesn't actually like the taste of tea.
#irony

Ps. If you haven't seen it find "when Guy met Danny" on youtube whre he meets Danny Hart to go mountainbiking. another perfect example of Guy being funny AF (unintentionally)
I will go find that YT,have not seen it. Yeah,people are serious about tea. I agree with you,you don’t want cold milk first,I guess the Brits don’t drink much cream? I grew up on cheap Lipton regular,with tons of sugar. That’s how the Arabs in SA drink it,no cream. In Egypt, they drink cheap tea not in a pouch,but I like it. My Favorite is Morrocon Mint,it is SWEET,pure Mint and Sugar. I‘m not picky,whatever. Favorite Coffee is Turkish,black. Or any coffee with grounds on the bottom. I like the little square sugar cubes.

I am sure Guy puts cream in his tea,I’m gonna double check on sugar.It was the YT where he was rebuilding one of those cool Canal boats. Stay tuned.

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I like black coffee , hate tea and biscuits ..
Love fox shocks, they have paid for my bikes and ohlins suspension..(tools, life, wife, trips, and more)...I think the kashima thing is finally on the downslope, fox is going to have to make a suspension that works better now...or a new darker kashima to market for a bit longer and I have more frivolous spending I need to do...
So fox, your suspension is perfect and amazing. Keep up the good work.