Quantcast

New Bike Products

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Apparently that's the owner/design of the raised reversed™ stem, the one who has won races using his amazing new technology.
I just looked that up, that's what 90% of boomers that buy E-bikes online need, they should make a quill stem version too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Seems RNC no longer list their Ti MTB crank but they have a new 24mm BMX crank with a Ti spindle.
You can even get a titanium 24mm spline drive oval chainring.
RNC crank.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
To be fair to the guy, something must have happened to him. Injured on the first bail? Too much time in the shed before his run? He was riding like a mannequin, definitely didn't look normal... :rofl:

Kind of reminds me of the video below. Dude eats it in a corner, snaps the brake lever off but gets up in a rush and continues on. Then said busted lever sends him out the front door two seconds later. Ouch....but... :rofl:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Kind of reminds me of the video below. Dude eats it in a corner, snaps the brake lever off but gets up in a rush and continues on. Then said busted lever sends him out the front door two seconds later. Ouch....but... :rofl:

If he had that hi top stem on there getting all house party...
PSX_20230423_181623.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just read the article and the other one from two years ago. Clever solution, way too expensive imho.
price is in line with the product category IMO. aside from OEM tokens, the only thing cheaper is the MRP ramp control. cheaper than DSD runt, secus.

this is the sentence that gets me:

"The result is that your air spring is more linear than if it had no volume spacers in it at all. "

i wonder how it compares to dual rate air springs, such as manitou IRT, dsd runt, and other forks that include it stock

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
price is in line with the product category IMO. aside from OEM tokens, the only thing cheaper is the MRP ramp control. cheaper than DSD runt, secus.
Maybe. I don't know what the manufacturing costs of activated carbon are.

this is the sentence that gets me:

"The result is that your air spring is more linear than if it had no volume spacers in it at all. "

i wonder how it compares to dual rate air springs, such as manitou IRT, dsd runt, and other forks that include it stock
Somebody should test it, like @bullcrew perhaps?

I don't really care, I love my coil springs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
This product is not for me. Because of my weight, until recently, I'd always found air forks too linear for my needs. My 2021 36 is the first fork I truly haven't had that issue with.

But, there's two things he says in the article that seem contradictory to me...

"The fact that air springs are usually much stiffer at the start of the travel than in the middle is arguably their biggest downside compared to coil, and increasing the negative spring volume helps remedy this."
and
"I was able to use a little more air pressure and more compression damping without excessive harshness"

I thought that initial "stiffness" as he describes it is actually stiction. Increasing air pressure (spring weight) wouldn't really help with that would it? Nor would adding compression damping?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd agree that the initial stiffness is probably stiction. But apparently this product acts like a larger negative chamber. I know from experience that something that increases the size of a negative chamber (like a Luftkappe), really makes the initial travel very soft. Almost sucks down. When I had a Luftkappe in a '19 36, it would sag under its own weight like 3mm, running ~18% sag. The big difference here is that they're also claiming that it doesn't reduce the main chamber volume, unlike the Luftkappe.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind how something that has some physical dimensions can actually allow more air in for the same pressure than 0 tokens.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe. I don't know what the manufacturing costs of activated carbon are.

Somebody should test it, like @bullcrew perhaps?

I don't really care, I love my coil springs.
Air ok for xc race, everything else should be coil and stop trying to tell us how the newest air spring thing finally makes air “as good”. It never does, it never has.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nope pass on that fork thingy...I'll take a runt if going that way...i understand what they are saying and can see it having some effect...for some it may be just the right amount of change..

Fox 36 imo is still the best single crown fork fox has ever produced...good flex to stiffness amazing performance very little bind....

The ohlins are amazing....I love the way they ride

I am coil rear shock on all 3 bikes (evil has a ohlins coil on order)...ohlins does a good job of ramp control and feel with their air set up or I'd be going coil on em as well..small amount of weight is negated by hauling ass and control...coil for the win

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I'm still trying to wrap my mind how something that has some physical dimensions can actually allow more air in for the same pressure than 0 tokens.
I'm no scientist, but I can't wrap my head around it either. How is it possible that the insert is somehow less dense than the empty space it's replacing?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm no scientist, but I can't wrap my head around it either. How is it possible that the insert is somehow less dense than the empty space it's replacing?
I haven't read about the chemistry/physics involved in the adsorbtion dynamics in over 20 years, but according to his other piece it all boils down to the ability of the activated carbon to entrap more air molecules due to bigger chemical affinity between them and the crab0nz. If freely compressed, the air molecules would repeal each other strongly, while the crab0nz give'em a cozy cradle to sit in, effectively lowering their energy/temperature, this allowing tighter packaging. Also, as you are effectively creating more surface area per unit of volume, the effective adsorbant area increases. I'm not sure about those crazy numbers though.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsorption

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
This is the opposite of a runt. It’s making the positive chamber seem larger rather than the negative. Runt makes the negative chamber larger.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Runt makes the negative chamber larger.
no it doesn't. the runt adds a second positive air chamber (reduces the size of the primary positive air chamber) to create a dual rate (positive) air spring. it has no impact on the size of the negative chamber.

edit: are you thinking of the luftkappe? because that increases the volume of the negative air chamber

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I haven't read about the chemistry/physics involved in the adsorbtion dynamics in over 20 years, but according to his other piece it all boils down to the ability of the activated carbon to entrap more air molecules due to bigger chemical affinity between them and the crab0nz. If freely compressed, the air molecules would repeal each other strongly, while the crab0nz give'em a cozy cradle to sit in, effectively lowering their energy/temperature, this allowing tighter packaging. Also, as you are effectively creating more surface area per unit of volume, the effective adsorbant area increases. I'm not sure about those crazy numbers though.

Plus you can filter water if stuck in mountains

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

There are two issues though, speed and temperature. Can the adsorption/desorbtion reaction take place in the time frames of suspension movement? All the data I quickly looked at was taken at homeostasis so no dynamic info availalbe. I am guessing a gas molecule bouncing around wildly isn't going to stick to a surface quickly, it will require a lower energy collision.

Also adsorption goes down and desorbtion goes up with temperature. So when the gas is supposed to be adsorbed, its temperature is going to go up possibly cancelling out and even having the opposite intended resulted.

Pretty much looks like a device that takes a real natural mechanism and applies it to marketing for a sham piece of hardware.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
There are two issues though, speed and temperature. Can the adsorption/desorbtion reaction take place in the time frames of suspension movement? All the data I quickly looked at was taken at homeostasis so no dynamic info availalbe. I am guessing a gas molecule bouncing around wildly isn't going to stick to a surface quickly, it will require a lower energy collision.

Also adsorption goes down and desorbtion goes up with temperature. So when the gas is supposed to be adsorbed, its temperature is going to go up possibly cancelling out and even having the opposite intended resulted.

Pretty much looks like a device that takes a real natural mechanism and applies it to marketing for a sham piece of hardware.
Yeah, when I was googling to check if what I could remember was (still) valid, I saw most of the curves for nanocavity-style substrates were taken as isothermal or isobaric. Neith scenario applies here, and I'm at least puzzled by how they managed to measure those "-2 to -6" negative volumes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The theory is sound though. I can see it being quite useful in some of the the high progression air spring forks. Even wondering how it would go in a negative chamber application to reduce the drop off in effect.

I'm happy with either coil or air for enduro or trail these days, worrying about it is like picking SRAM or Shimano or clips vs flats. For pure reliability and traction I'd stick with coil for park or DH use though.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

Yeah, I had that thought too. OK, so even if it works in a static scenario, is it going to work through rapidly changing pressures?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The theory is sound though. I can see it being quite useful in some of the the high progression air spring forks. Even wondering how it would go in a negative chamber application to reduce the drop off in effect.

I'm happy with either coil or air for enduro or trail these days, worrying about it is like picking SRAM or Shimano or clips vs flats. For pure reliability and traction I'd stick with coil for park or DH use though.
I wouldn't say it is sound, plausible perhaps. But if you were to assume the concept to be sound I would expect to see significant hysteresis between compression and rebound, as you would require air to flow through a complex network of microscopic pores that would provide significant resistance, essentially increased damping, think MRP ramp control. Their little chart shows no difference in hysteresis compared to normal spacers, which sets off alarm bells as being BS data.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Which reminds me that vendor booths go up tomorrow afternoon here in Prescott. Dozens of vendors selling the latest snake oil.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wouldn't say it is sound, plausible perhaps. But if you were to assume the concept to be sound I would expect to see significant hysteresis between compression and rebound, as you would require air to flow through a complex network of microscopic pores that would provide significant resistance, essentially increased damping, think MRP ramp control. Their little chart shows no difference in hysteresis compared to normal spacers, which sets off alarm bells as being BS data.
I would expect the hysteresis to be pretty minute unless they used a solid chunk of activated carbon? I'm assuming its granules or grains to increase the contact area and reduce the hysteresis. Its molecular level compression you're talking about, and the heat dissipation characteristic is potentially providing an even more linear curve than the adsorption.

I've seen similar materials used for O2 generators and compressors, even in SCBA tanks and its not like the air has to 'flow' into them.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
if your trail bike is not full coil you should rethink your life values

Everybody is different, it all comes down to what kind of feel you like and if you can put up with an extra couple of pounds. My 276 DH bike is full coil, 38.3 lbs and my 29 trailbike is also full coil at 36.1 lbs. Previously, with trailbikes I went from a 26" full coil to a 27.5" full air and it was ok, but I could never get on with the air ramp up and now I'm back to full coil and it is very nice. I can see how people would like the feel of air, it does seem to make playing on smoother trail more trampoline like fun. My riding buddies seem to love it, but the deep stroke ramp up and kick feeling, I never could get on with when in the rough tech.

To each their own.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE