Quantcast

New bike question...

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
I thought I'd ask you girls this one. I am 5'2" and currently ride a 15" HT bike. It works alright but burly has had to do some things to accommodate my short legs. Anyway, I was thinking about getting another bike that is tailored toward women, especially short ones. I have been looking at the SC juliana just for that reason. It is the one I am leaning toward the most.

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into a problem with being short and finding a good bike. Also, if there is anyother bike I should consider besides the juliana.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I wish I could help you out, but I am 5'9"...so I don't really know...there has been a few women asking basically the same question over in the women's lounge on mtbr...you might want to go check it out...plus there are more women that ride over there or at least post about it...this board doesn't seem to get too much female traffic...hope this might help you...:)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Jamis, Kona, Titus are just a few more of the companies that make small frame bikes.

Consider whether you need just a small frame, or a "women's bike" . The WSD thing is part marketing and part truth. (WSD is women specific design) WSD means that the frame is designed for a "typical" female, that would be long legs, short torso. You'll find a women's saddle on it, MAYBE shorter cranks, smaller brake levers and more narrow handlebars. Does your body type fit into "typical"?

I only say this becuase many small women can ride a small frame (men's) bike just fine, and don't need WSD for best fit. Other women find that WSD bikes made a huge difference for them for best fit. In general, if you aren't locked into wanting WSD, you'll have a better selection of bikes, with better components, to chose from. Fit is everything.

For one point of view, you can look up the Santa Cruz can kiss my ass thread by Skookum.

ride on,

geargrrl

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
Thanks a bunch. :)

I definitely want to ride a bike before i buy it. At least a similar one. So whether I get a WSD or small frame, I'll know it works for me. I have never fit into a typical girl size. But know I have some more stuff to research to make sure i get the right one!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm no mud honey, but want to suggest that you re-read geargrrl's post, WSD is for typical women, just like non-WSD bikes are for typical men and those are typical for manufacturers. If I may suggest, get measured by an independent expert and use the numbers as your solid guidelines.

Then you can shop online and maybe there is a manufacturer out there that makes something close to what you need, something close enough that you can make small mods to make it work for you.

If you have a body that isn't geometrically typical of a woman or man your height, I'd recommend going custom. If you're fine with hardtail, then visit Walt at waltworks.com while you're out here. He builds a lot of HTs for really good riders here at a very reasonable price... I think $750 for a custom frame, custom paint with shock fork. He'll fully build it for you with components you want as well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
geargrrl said:
Jamis, Kona, Titus are just a few more of the companies that make small frame bikes.

Consider whether you need just a small frame, or a "women's bike" . The WSD thing is part marketing and part truth. (WSD is women specific design) WSD means that the frame is designed for a "typical" female, that would be long legs, short torso. You'll find a women's saddle on it, MAYBE shorter cranks, smaller brake levers and more narrow handlebars. Does your body type fit into "typical"?

I only say this becuase many small women can ride a small frame (men's) bike just fine, and don't need WSD for best fit. Other women find that WSD bikes made a huge difference for them for best fit. In general, if you aren't locked into wanting WSD, you'll have a better selection of bikes, with better components, to chose from. Fit is everything.

For one point of view, you can look up the Santa Cruz can kiss my ass thread by Skookum.

ride on,

geargrrl
I most definitely agree!!! I am 5'4" and ride a men's small in most manufacturers without any trouble. I don't fit into the "typical female" proportions so WSD wasn't really the way to go for me. I do tend to put a shorter set of cranks on my bikes (I run 170mm), I have recently changed to a women's specific seat and sometimes I have to put on a shorter stem, but other than that I find that most small bikes fit fine. So far, I have ridden C-dale (owned 2), K2 (owned 1), Yeti (own 1 and hope to own a 2nd soon), Ironhorse (owned one for DH but their small is a little too big for me...I had to go to a 24" rear wheel), Trek (owned a HT), Zion (own 1), Specialized (test rode) and Santa Cruz (rode my husbands' medium and test rode a small).

Again, it's really a matter of comfort for you so get out and ride as many different bikes as you can before you make a large purchase. Good luck!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I saw an advert in Outside magazine for some women's bikes.

I think it was interesting that they viewed most manufacturer's women's bikes as "shrink it and pink it".

I'd like to add another bit to that....

"shrink it, pink it, and make it more expensive"

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
while I do have to say that I know a couple of petite gals for whom WSD really made a huge difference, tremendous... what I really dislike is the attitude at some bike shops. Some really get condescending about "here, little lady, let me show you a womens' specific bike." Also there is so much less to choose from, you really limit your options if that's all you are going to look at.

gg

J

JRB

I bought Julie a small K2 Razorback some time back, and it is on the verge of being big. The TT fits great, but the standover bugs her a little bit. Lots of folks are making smaller bikes now, because there are more folks riding them. As much as I dislike Titus service, they make small bikes.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
Thanks everyone...it may be a little while yet to save up the money because I just moved into a new place. But I am going the FS route becaue I'm basically happy with my HT, besides the new fork burly's putting on once I get a new wheel set. I'll report back on what my decision will be, but you've all given me some great info to look at, so thanks!!! :D :weee: