Quantcast

New Bike Question?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Ok, so i'm getting knee Surgery this October for a torn meniscus.... and i want to invest on a road bike for recovery... nothing expensive... the thing is, i don't know JACK about road bikes....

I was checking these bikes out:

Or would something like this be better:

I test rode the Raleigh and it felt good. I was alos condiering a Single Speed street bike like this:

or this:

I can probrably get the single speeds for less than what the gears would cost... advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would avoid a singlespeed.....you should probably be doing slight spins for recovery and a singlespeed will require you to stand and apply a lot of pressure when you're going up a hill. My .02

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Ire, thanks for the response... i figured a single speed would be death for my knee, but what about the other two bikes?

i'll use the bike as a commuter as well, next spring/summer/fall :-)

Should i be worried about components etc?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
dave, buy giant. help me out and buy giant products haha i might be able to get you a real good deal on a giant aswell.

the giants prob have some of the best components on them for the price. pm me if you wanna get more info on prices or what not.

will you be at the mountain tomorrow aka monday?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Ire, thanks for the response... i figured a single speed would be death for my knee, but what about the other two bikes?

i'll use the bike as a commuter as well, next spring/summer/fall :-)

Should i be worried about components etc?
Raleigh bikes tend to be a good bang for the buck. You should consider looking at used bikes as well, it seems like there are some good deals out there. What is your price range?

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
dave check out my road bike :)
Wow, D... that **** is Hizzzzot! i want 1! :biggrin:

... but i have to control myself... i need a road bike but something cheap and not pricey... remember, i'll need to finance my DH habbit next year!

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
To be honest, your first two are great selections for a recovery for knee surgury. Like Ire said, stay away from the single speed, there not nice to the knees at all. One thing I will highly suggest, no matter what bike you get. Get fit, make sure you end up in a proper position, IE Seat postion, crank length, bar postion. these are all important to keep the knees alive and well.

The commuter style is a good choice for recovery, I wouldnt go after a bike with a set of drop bars yet, not after getting knee surgury, little too aggresive position you end up in.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
So i pickedup the Specialized Sirrus....

got it at a decent price, this thing is light, and pedals great, not excited about the brake levers and shifter, but hey, it's a budget bike, do i don;t care!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
took it out for an hour today..... nice....

Unlike my DH bike, this thing is totally different....