Quantcast

New Bike Question...

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Bad new from the Dr's last night.. I can't race road next season. BUT he didn't say I couldn't race XC... so I'm looking to get into the sport. I've never raced mtn at all so I'm looking for a nice bike to get into it with out being broke. I work at a shop that carries Giant, specialized, Trek, Bianchi, Gary Fisher, Orbea and Klien. My eye right now is on the WSD Fuel 90 because of the short TT, I'm 5'10 with a 33" inseam.. It's a reasonable price... but my question is... Is the Epic worth another 500 bucks??
Any other advice would be great,
Thanks guys

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I am an inch shorter than you but have the same inseam....I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar 1 and have raced it for the last 3 years and love it. The bike rocks when climbing and decending, I actually can't think of anything I don't like about it.

It seems like xc racing would be more harsh than road racing....but at least you can ride.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Arsbars
Bad new from the Dr's last night.. I can't race road next season. BUT he didn't say I couldn't race XC... so I'm looking to get into the sport. I've never raced mtn at all so I'm looking for a nice bike to get into it with out being broke. I work at a shop that carries Giant, specialized, Trek, Bianchi, Gary Fisher, Orbea and Klien. My eye right now is on the WSD Fuel 90 because of the short TT, I'm 5'10 with a 33" inseam.. It's a reasonable price... but my question is... Is the Epic worth another 500 bucks??
Any other advice would be great,
Thanks guys
Short answer on the Epic: Maybe not. Not if you need a generally shorter TT. Although at 5'10 you may find the women's specific designs of any brand a bit too cramped up. Have a smart cookie at your shop fit you up for reach.

Any particular reason to buy a FS bike? For the $$ a HT will give you way better weight savings and XC racing spec.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Mtbkngrl
I am an inch shorter than you but have the same inseam....I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar 1 and have raced it for the last 3 years and love it. The bike rocks when climbing and decending, I actually can't think of anything I don't like about it.

It seems like xc racing would be more harsh than road racing....but at least you can ride.
As a mech I can't endorse any of the Fisher FS designs for much anything but trail riding. To much maintenance and bad chainline/sucky shifting performance. I think they'd cause too many mechanicals in a race situation.

But hey that's my wrench talking.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
As a mech I can't endorse any of the Fisher FS designs for much anything but trail riding. To much maintenance and bad chainline/sucky shifting performance. I think they'd cause too many mechanicals in a race situation.

But hey that's my wrench talking.
The chainline problems on the Sugar can be remedied by a competent mechanic as long as the customer isn't afraid to spend a few bucks to upgrade some drivetrain parts.

Gee Spot has done countless expert races over the last 3 seasons on her Sugar, and finished first in every single one. Doesn't sound like mechanicals were much of a problem ;)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Echo
The chainline problems on the Sugar can be remedied by a competent mechanic as long as the customer isn't afraid to spend a few bucks to upgrade some drivetrain parts.
True, but out of the box I think they suck, IMHO.

Spacing the chainrings, BB swap, smaller cassette range etc will fix it.

Hey if it works for ya it works I guess.

I am generally un-impressed with Fisher's FS offerings.

I kinda dig the 29" HT's though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm no huge fan of GF bikes either... but for a female to race, I've seen first hand that they do the job extremely well.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Can't speak to the drivetrain issues on the Sugar because I haven't had any. Don't race, either, so maybe that's it. But I can speak to the handling. People either love it or hate it. I find it very forgiving, which is nice being an old man coming from a road background. Very stable descender, and climbs well. I have no complaints unless its in the tight twisties where its a little sluggish.

But I do second the hardtail notion. Better bang for the buck and emminently rideable in the southeast for the most part. Unless its your back that's the problem.....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I have to say for XC racing I used to think that an FS would be nice but the truth is who ever gets to the top of the hills first usally wins a superlight HT will get you up a hill faster and you just have to have guts and holed on on the DH parts.

I guess if you're coming from road biking you might be better off on an FS cause you might not have the best handling skills.
If the weight of the Epic is the same as the Fuel I'd go with the epic.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I believe i need FS because I'll be racing alot in the Pisgah mountains. From what I saw I would get the **** kicked out of me if I had a HT.

Also we just started carryign the Gary Fishers so I can't take any of them out to test ride. Speaking of test rides, I took home the Fuel 90 to tool around on last night. It's lighter in the rear than I thought it would be, and seemed to be forgiving if I overturned or what not.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Do you work at Cycle-Center?
I used to live on Hilton Head so i know the Carolina's/ Georgia/ Florida racing scene really well.

I think you'd be better served by a hardtail with standard geometry something in the neighborhood of an 19" frame with a 23" top tube and a 110 mm stem.

You could pick up a 19" XTC 2 for less than a grand and it would serve you fantastically.

"Womens" geoemtry is a load of crap foisted upon us by marketers desperate to make women feel pampered. The majoirty of WSD bikes serve to exacerbate fit issues that women have isntead of provide solutions (if there is even a fit issue at all, and from the sound of like there isn't)

Race courses in the Southeast are probally one of the last real areas of the country where hardtails are advantageous. A good set of tubeless Pythons would provide as much traction and comfort as you wold need.

Single track tends to be buffed wide and steep. Out of all the races i can think of down there i think of maybe one or two times in 6 years racing in the south where i was wishing for a FS bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya get an NRS, carbon would be really cool to. I think you'd be save getting a sugar evryone has them.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Do you work at Cycle-Center?
I used to live on Hilton Head so i know the Carolina's/ Georgia/ Florida racing scene really well.

I think you'd be better served by a hardtail with standard geometry something in the neighborhood of an 19" frame with a 23" top tube and a 110 mm stem.

You could pick up a 19" XTC 2 for less than a grand and it would serve you fantastically.

"Womens" geoemtry is a load of crap foisted upon us by marketers desperate to make women feel pampered. The majoirty of WSD bikes serve to exacerbate fit issues that women have isntead of provide solutions (if there is even a fit issue at all, and from the sound of like there isn't)

Race courses in the Southeast are probally one of the last real areas of the country where hardtails are advantageous. A good set of tubeless Pythons would provide as much traction and comfort as you wold need.

Single track tends to be buffed wide and steep. Out of all the races i can think of down there i think of maybe one or two times in 6 years racing in the south where i was wishing for a FS bike.
Actually I have to agree I would get the XTC 1 it sells for $2000 USD I think and it has a great spec along with carbon rear stays. If you're really into racing I still think you'd be happiest with an HT but if you were just going to race as something to do along with alot of just Xc riding i would get an FS like a sugar.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by oldfart
One question: Why did the doctor tell you not to road race? And why would off road be OK?
He said no to road racing.. but didn't say anything about yes or no about mtn biking.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
He said no to road racing.. but didn't say anything about yes or no about mtn biking.
I don't understand why. Whats wrong with you? I would think road biking would be better than MT biking.!

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
Don't you think you're being a little childish about this? I can't think of anything roadracing would be hard on that mtbing wouldn't be harder on. Just because he didn't explicitly tell you to not mtb doesn't mean its safe. I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you value your body, you need to evaluate what is and isn't safe.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by Mtbkngrl

same here, i can't think of another XC bike i would rather ride

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Get a 2nd opinion AND a mountain bike. :D I love my Sugar, just ditch the Bontrager cranks.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I hat to sound like your Mom, but WHY no road racing. What's the medical problem and why would road racing be bad? Because i can't think of a reason for one being OK over the other.