Quantcast

New Bike!- short review and a pic

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So, a few months ago some fool ran off with my Giant VT. Good for him. At least it gave me a reason to get a new bike. After a few weeks of looking, I decided to get a Cannondale Prophet. I went to a shop I used to work at and they gave me a sweet deal on a 2005 Prophet 1000.

I am about 5'9"-10" and 180 lbs- the medium fit me great. I switched out the stock stem for a 10mm shorter one, which I think is the stock stem on 2006 models. I also changed the stock FSA bar out because I wanted something that was wider and had more room to move brake levers and shifters around. Right now I have a Holzfeller bar on there, which is borrowed from my DH bike. At first it felt a little too wide for XC, but I got used to it and like it now. In fact, now high rise EA70s feel too narrow. Only other thing changed was the tires- High Roller USTs to Michelin All Mountains.

So far, the bike has been awesome. If I could only have one bike for XC to DH, it might be something like a lightened up Prophet MX. It descends better than I thought a 5.5" travel bike could. I felt almost instantly confident. I race DH and descents are what I live for, so that's a good thing for me. The suspension design is simple and stiff. It moves a bit under pedaling, but only if you get out of the saddle and hammer or use a really crappy pedal stroke while seated- like most modern full suspension bikes. I run a good amount of sag, but I have only really bottomed the rear suspension 2 or 3 times. It seems that the shock really ramps up in the last few mm of travel. The Lefty has done pretty well so far, but could be a bit plusher to match the suspension. It's certainly not as plush as the last XC fork I had (TALAS RLC). The SPV might keep the fork a little less plush than it could be.

I've been running the bike in the slacker HA position, but might switch back. Very easy change and it really does slack it out (67 deg., I think). The tradeoff is pretty straight- slacker bike means more stability with a slight penalty in quickness and climbing. The stability of the bike is maybe its best attribute, even in the steeper setting. Rocks, roots and speed don't unsettle it easily. I feel like the descending ability of the Prophet is going to get me in trouble some day. On the flip side, the climbing is only so-so. I think my old VT was a better climber, in part because of a slightly less active suspension and lower bar height. I am not sure what it is (could be my current fitness level...) but it seems that the Prophet is not that great a climber. It's a bit slower and harder to keep the front end down than other bikes. Not that it is a really bad climber, just not as good as other offerings in the all mountain/trailbike category.

The parts selection on the 1000 was very good. It is a pretty good deal (especially for what I paid!). Juicy 7s are excellent. I'm usually a Hayes guy, but these might be better. No split perch on the '05, but there is one on the '06 (not that this is a big deal with lock on grips anyway). The Cannondale stuff (post, hubs, stem, grips) is fine so far, if a bit heavy. No problems with cranks, pedals or drivetrain.

One item I did not like is the tires. The High Rollers were Super Tacky, which I think is a bad idea for a trailbike. They are fine in the weight department, but they rolled like bricks. I have some short pavement connectors in my usual rides, and they were painful on those stretches. Grip was okay, but not as good as I expected given the rolling resistance. They would probably be better for a drier climate or time of year as well. At least they inflated easily. Luckily, I already had a spare set of tires that were meant for my VT (Michelin All Mountain UST 2.2). They are one of the best all-around tires I've used. They were a bit of a pain to get inflated and a bit heavier than other offerings, but once I got them on they proved reasonably fast rolling, very predictable and very grippy. They don't roll as well as my last UST tires (Vertical Pro 2.3) but they grip better and drift better. The tread is an odd combination of a mini-Comp 32 and Comp 24.1/Hot S. Odd, but it works. They seem to be a true 2.2, maybe a little bigger. I think that's basically the perfect size for a trail tire.

In all, I am very happy with the bike. I am not sure if I am, on the whole, faster on it than my VT, but I am almost certainly having more fun. For me, the stability in the air and on the ground and the great suspension make up for a slight weight penalty and some lost efficiency.

Problems:
-Stock handlebar had very little room to move brakes inward.
-The rear hub is heavy and pretty slow. This is the first thing I would upgrade.
-On the day I bought it, the rebound adjuster on the fork stopped working. I went to the shop, we replaced the fork with one off the floor but because it was off a different size, we had to swap fork springs as well. After this was done, there was a slight knock in the top of the travel. We tried everything to get it out, but it wouldn't leave. I can only feel it while riding when the fork is in the very top of the travel and is taking tiny hits that barely compress it. Annoying, but not enough for me to do anything about it.
-A spoke nipple cracked, which I think might have been caused by the crappy factory wheel build. After a few rides, the spokes lost tension like crazy and I think they were all under-tensioned from the factory.

Sorry, no wok or anything. I have actually been avoiding the really muddy spots and days here to minimize trail damage. It's just that I don't have a hose, so washing the bike...well...doesn't happen much. I hope you like the ugly-ass couch I found in a friend's garage.

Here are my other bikes just for kicks.

Just put her together for the season today!

I have beaten this bike like you would not believe, but it will not die. All the components are from '98 or so.

edit: I don't know how to deal with images. this is the best i could do.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Congrats on the new bike.

I saw some new C-Dale Rush's tonight - they look like a great bike for 24 hour events and the like.

Ride the crap out of the Prophet J!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
maxyedor said:
Congrats on the new bike, but honestly I'm more interested in the shockwave. What is that that it's coated with?
you know, that's a good question. People always ask me that. I bought it used from RM member banche. It appears to just be black ano...but I don't know....something is odd about it...maybe it's just bead blasted or something...Plus, as you can see, it has about as much color on it as off it right now

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
JRogers said:
you know, that's a good question. People always ask me that. I bought it used from RM member banche. It appears to just be black ano...but I don't know....something is odd about it...maybe it's just bead blasted or something...Plus, as you can see, it has about as much color on it as off it right now
It looked like truck bedliner to me, but it was interesting

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I have a cannondale prophet and its probably my favorite bike at the moment, between my street bike and my downhill bike. I have mine set up with a chainguide, front brake through the steertube, flats, 50mm stem, atomlab wheels, on 2.3 lopes blingbling/larsenTT' dual slalom tires.

Its surpisingly versitile. With my build which paid no attention to weight and has fairly heavy wheelset/cranks it comes in around 32 lbs. Raise the seat up, and with a 32t ring in my chainguide it climbs awesome while my friends are busy pushing their 40lb enduro sx's and splinters up the hills. And im also not afraid of doing any drops along the trails on it, either.

I set it up some times with 2.5 downhill tires, softened the suspension up and the thing was a complete blast on shuttle and hike downhill runs. Im probably going to race it downhill for most of the local+colliegte races over my DH bike just because its that much more nimble and fun.

it also is a dope mountain cross/ jump play bike, through 6 packs, pump tracks, berms, its just way fun. Im so glad I bought the frame.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Friend as the same bike and he had the same issues with the tires. He kept messing with the suspension thinking that was the problem. Dumped the tires and the difference was night and day.

The shop has sold a bunch of prophets and literally everyone of them has had the stock maxxis taken off for something else.

Edit: Congrats on the bike and the fact that its working out for you.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nice ride - my LBS is a cannondale dealer and every time in I have to stop and drool over the prophets. They are damn nice bikes indeed.

Sounds like you had a few speedbumps when you bought the bike, but everything seems to have been squared away... at least enough to get in a few good rides.

J

JRB

Nice ride - you made up for no wok by leaning that filthy ass bike up against your couch. You are way more "core" than those pvssies with woks.

*I made my latest bike pic more "core" by including my actual license plate number.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
For some odd reason I kept the High Rollers on my Prophet for a while. I finally got rid of them and put on a pair of Kenda Nevegal, 2.1 and the bike is completely different now. I also have a slue of other upgrades that help bring the weight down and make a nice bling bling factor.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Jeremy R said:
Yep, that is Kalan's old bike.
He got his buddy to cover it in that $hit they spray on truck beds.
Funny stuff.
Well, good, mystery solved. I guess that explains why it doesn't stay attached to the frame as well.