Quantcast

New bike suggestions wanted

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
A buddy of mine wants to buy a new bike, and he's not sure whether to go duallie or hardtail. He's really a beginner on the mountain bike, but he is strong and will pick up technique fast. He wants to do a bit of fun XC adventure racing, but he really wants it mostly for fun, so he doesn't need a dedicated XC race bike. He wants to spend about $2000 Canadian. I have some ideas, but there are so many bikes out there now that I wanted to get some input from the brilliant minds on this forum. Please throw any bike suggestions my way, and maybe a few words on why you like that bike. Thanks ever so much.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm thinking a midrange bike with 4 inches of travel front/rear would probably be his best option. 2000$ monopoly money is what, about 1800 US? Is he looking new or used?

The GT ID-XC 3.0 retails for $1500 US, I think that would be within his price range with some room for upgrades. Solid part spec with a proven. efficient suspension design. I used to ride on an ID-XC 1.0 and I LOVED it.

Another one to look at might be the Jamis Dakar XC Comp. I do not know the MSRP on that one, however.

DesertYota

Chimp
May 11, 2005
New Mexico
Yeti 575 Enduro build. It's about 2300 US so maybe out of his price range but the bikes a great deal. Lightwieght 5+ inches of suspension travel. It's what I'm going to buy.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
DesertYota said:
Yeti 575 Enduro build. It's about 2300 US so maybe out of his price range but the bikes a great deal. Lightwieght 5+ inches of suspension travel. It's what I'm going to buy.

I hear ya. It is out of his price range, but not out of mine. I put some money down on a 575 a couple of weeks ago and I'm going down today to pay the rest. I can't wait to get it; it felt really sweet when I took it out for a demo blast. Oops, better not hijack my own thread.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If you are new to mountain bikes I think a hardtail is the way to go. Learn the fundamentals and good line choice on the HT first and graduate to a duallie later.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Zark said:
If you are new to mountain bikes I think a hardtail is the way to go. Learn the fundamentals and good line choice on the HT first and graduate to a duallie later.
Either that or quit the sport giving reasons like "mountain biking sucks, it hurts your ankles/butt too much".

I took my hardtail dirtjumper on some short trails on my way to work not too long ago. I will never willingly ride a hardtail in the woods again. At least not around here.

Aug 27, 2004
Zark said:
I agree fully with this dude here. On top of what he said you could get a much nicer build on a hardtail than you would be able to on a fully, but just because of the price....
peace

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i vote hardtail. its cheaper and for the same price as some fullies, you get a better build. have him check out the 05 specialized stumpjumper disc. pretty good part spec on a good xc hardtail frame. $1500 in us dollars so its within his price range

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
All good advice. I told this guy he may be better to get started on a HT, but there are so many good XC duallies out there these days. He told me today that an LBS offered him a 2004 Giant NRS Air for $2000. I think that's a screamin' deal. It may be a bit too race-specific, but it should handle some rough stuff too. I'm not sure if it's the one with the carbon front triangle; I'll have to go check it out with him.

As for myself, I'm now awaiting delivery of a raw (that's the color) Yeti 575 Enduro and calling the shop every 5 minutes to see if it's there yet.

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
He told me today that an LBS offered him a 2004 Giant NRS Air for $2000. I think that's a screamin' deal.
Yes, that's got a carbon front triangle. May be a good compromise between a HT and a dualie in that it's not really all that plush and will only soak up the larger hits. He'll still have to learn how to ride a smooth line like he would on a hard tail.

Cheers!
-Ian

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
After watching a buddy ride up the Woodlot push on his AC-1 (Giant) and then ripping it up on the trails as well, I'd recommend one of those - or an equal - for sure.

Personally, I'd suggest the HT for starters. Definitely makes one a smoother rider much faster and you can get a pimped-out ride as far as componentry goes for less than the cost of a sub-par spec'd dually.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I agree with the hardtail recommendation, however I also am smart enough to know that HTs are not for everyone, especially if the trails you ride are rough (read: rocks and/or roots). Is there any way he can get a HT out on the trails for a test ride - either borrow one from a friend, demo one from a shop, whatever? If he likes the HT's ride, then I'd definitely recommend a HT. Spend 1/2 - 3/4 of his budget on a good HT, put the rest in a bike fund for when he's ready to graduate to a killer HT or a full squish.