Quantcast

New Bike Suggestions

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Looking for a hard tail primarily to be used for DJ'ing. I'm 6'1", 175lbs. I love jumping on my DHR, but am limited to some of the local DJ spots that have some tight rythem sections. Appreciate any suggestions for frames, complete bikes, and or places to buy. Thanks!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
if you are looking for a complete bike look at the specialized p-bikes. My personal suggestion to you is that you build up something as a single speed, with a good strong parts build on there, and go for it. Generally I find that guys with DH bikes use that for everything except jumping and street, and don't want to throw a lot of money into a traditional jump bike.

a reletively cheap, and burly frame is the evil doc. build it up with some GI parts from atomlab (also tough quality parts at an afordable price) Throw on a single avid 5 mechanical brake in the rear, and you'll have yourself a very nice setup.

Most of the people I ride with are mainly into dirt and street, and have had the best success with Marzocchi forks. Yeah they're heavy, but you throw em on and forget about em. you'll get used to the weight. I've seen a few different manitou's, fox's, and rock shox break. 100mm is the most you'll need. The fork should be stiff so it doesn't soak up lips, and doesn't take away from pump in the tight stuff. Fork's on dj bikes are there in case you over/underclear a landing they save your wrists, so save your money, you don't need to waste it on something "plush".

although you're 6'1" most dj bikes are "one size fits all" ...small (don't worry people your height ride bmx bikes on the same dj's)
but if you do have the option like with the Evil doc get the long.

you can find everything you need for a good price from some place like www.unrealcycles.com www.ride-this.com or www.go-ride.com

some other frames that have really caught my attention are the Black Market bike. and the Santa Cruz Jackyl. (also comes as a solid complete build too)

Good Luck