Quantcast

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Doc, my lobster senses tell me you should offer a gloss black paint job with Knight Rider stickers. You could take over Germany!

Humor aside, and in all sincerity, congratulations on the positive press. I love the tenacity of your entrepreneurial spirit. You must have to wear a LOT of hats. I'm sure you are a great roll model for your son, and I expect I'll use you as an anecdotal example for CrawdadCT when he gets to the age to start thinking of what to do with himself professionally.
I watched knight rider with my kids when they were little. Does that make me a bad person?

Since you're getting personal and role model-y, I just posted this about my dad. I'm not one for personal sharing, but this is entirely relevant.

I just returned from my dad's 90th and I am realizing how much impact he had on my professional life. He never taught me anything intentionally. He was too busy doing.

In fact, between 2 stints in Vietnam and a divorce, I lived away from him more than with. But I watched. I watched how he built, fixed or made anything he wanted. I watched how he never asked if he should, could or if it made any sense. If he wanted it, he made it. Whatever it was. I never thought about it. It was normal. But when I look back on my career (and forward), it's obvious how instrumental this was

. Thanks Dad

He always was smoother.........
dad and me.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I'm sure you are a great roll model for your son,
This part gets trickier. My kids have certainly seen me triumph many times in difficult arenas. They've also seen me fail miserably. They've seen me get fired a few times (sometimes right after a major victory).

They've seen me battle my mind. Plenty of being an asshole and poor judgement.

Good role model? I don't know. Like with my dad, they learned by watching. Watching me get back up and plunge forward when everyone (including them) told me, maybe it's time to stop. Sometimes they might have been right.

but my son can rebuild a carb, a points distributor, and a manual transmission, run a manual lathe and mill. Got a degree in ID and sells houses in SoCal.

If anything, to anybody, the fact that I made it this far is ONLY a testament to one thing. Just being too fucking stubborn to give up. and yes, being willing to learn all those hats. And when the mistakes and the dropped balls and the problems kept coming up...I just had to look at them like incoming pitches. Pick up my bat and I get one swing. Don't have to knock every one out of the park but have to make contact and knock it back into somebody else's field of play.

I am absolutely a little amazed that I've pulled it off to this extent thus far. Not that I had THAT much doubt going in, but I had no idea the extent of obstacles to be thrown my way.

And as I'm looking forward increasing production from 50 to 200................I know it's gonna be yefuckinha hang on for the ride motherfucker.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Brian, with regards to #teamrumours are @rockofullr and friend renewing their contracts with the Tantrum Cycles Factory Racing Team to join select races in the US next season?
full negotiations have yet to be entertained.

Their (@rockofullr and BamBam) price is pretty high, but I bring good weed, so I think I can get them there,

The question is if I can get there, but I am giving it due diligence and hope to be in Cali well before Sea Otter to get things lit up.
Letter of intent sent has been signed. Inform the 2019 Team Rumors thread.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Out in Sedona for the MTB fest. Cool place for sure. Hoping the trails dry up.

I brought a couple new builds, including this Redrum Shinning, 160 mm fr and rear, 63.5 HTA.....

redrum redrocks s.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Hows the weather up there?
It's ok but still some snow here and there. They are saying about half the trails will be open for the fest.

But they didn't want me to ride on them yesterday, so I did the photo shoot instead

thanks again for the Phoenix rides, helped my brain

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I understand that. Should still be a good time though.
You're welcome. It was a great time. Did you find those other pedals?
Yes. The pedals were sitting in the room where I left them.

When I showed up to ride with Ken and his friend with 3 bikes.....I forgot the pedals. For all 3 bikes I had them in my hand, in the DVO shock cases I use....and left 'em in the hotel room. Brilliant, brilliant......

Luckily, there was a bike shop 15 min away and they were patient, so we still had a good time...

I told them they were there to help me shakedown my demo bikes, but.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is this thing ever going to get larger seat stays? I can deal with how the shock sits and the look of the the linkages but as a fat person the tiny pivots on the small diameter seat stays make me wince a little, they remind me of the chainstays on a 4 Banger.

Black linkage plates would probably reduce the number of weird questions I would no doubt receive on the trail if I were to own one.

Are newer ones getting longer in regards to reach and is there a reach measurement for descending and climbing? I could only see FC and RC with a mention of 460mm reach in a post or article on another site. Also with the bike in descend mode would there be a leverage curve listed anywhere?

As a middle age person that needs to buy his first dual suspension trail bike this thing does tick a lot of boxes but I just can't handle those seat stays, us bike riders are so damn fickle!

Everything else tooks pretty sweet, PM brake, interchangeable dropouts, low shock position, fits a full size drink bottle, Chainstays taper in quickly to keep my biggish hoofs from clipping and it works sorta like a Canyon Strive but is actuated automatically instead of with an extra unwanted cable.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Didn't RM decide in the industry suck thread that trunion mount shocks suck?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Didn't RM decide in the industry suck thread that trunion mount shocks suck?
For what reason?
I could see it increasing the side loading to the shock on flexy frames but otherwise it seems like a pretty sensible introduction.

If they ran a heim joint at the other end I'd be all over it, it shits me to see plain bushings in things that flex and often made to some pretty poor tolerances.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For what reason?
I could see it increasing the side loading to the shock on flexy frames but otherwise it seems like a pretty sensible introduction.
Pretty expensive thread to strip though and single shear bolts. I've run trunnion shocks for a couple years now no issues, but can see why they're not a favourite.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty expensive thread to strip though and single shear bolts. I've run trunnion shocks for a couple years now no issues, but can see why they're not a favourite.
I have snapped bolts but never stripped any thread on a bike, you'd have to be pretty ham fisted to strip anything but a Magura MT bar clamp.
I will say that I have started to cross thread a BB but it was pretty munted from the factory.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Is this thing ever going to get larger seat stays? I can deal with how the shock sits and the look of the the linkages but as a fat person the tiny pivots on the small diameter seat stays make me wince a little, they remind me of the chainstays on a 4 Banger.

Black linkage plates would probably reduce the number of weird questions I would no doubt receive on the trail if I were to own one.

Are newer ones getting longer in regards to reach and is there a reach measurement for descending and climbing? I could only see FC and RC with a mention of 460mm reach in a post or article on another site. Also with the bike in descend mode would there be a leverage curve listed anywhere?

As a middle age person that needs to buy his first dual suspension trail bike this thing does tick a lot of boxes but I just can't handle those seat stays, us bike riders are so damn fickle!

Everything else tooks pretty sweet, PM brake, interchangeable dropouts, low shock position, fits a full size drink bottle, Chainstays taper in quickly to keep my biggish hoofs from clipping and it works sorta like a Canyon Strive but is actuated automatically instead of with an extra unwanted cable.
Will it ever get larger seat stays? Only if this stay presents a problem that being larger would solve. The stay does contribute a huge amount of stiffness to the rear end, but most of that load is purely in compression. Yes, everything is a compromise, but if I were worried about the compression load, an increase in wall thickness would do the trick.

An increase in tube diameter would also help, but then we are dealing with tire clearance, ankle and heel clearance, etc. And nobody is complaining about or breaking stays at the moment, so the next batch (late as ever) will be "as shown".

Maybe a 180-200 mm travel version...............................................................

More numbers soon. I've been battling some shit that's been keeping me busy

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
indeed! All metric shocks suck ass balls.
Sad but true, true but sad. Metric shocks were introduced because all of the "yoke" type rear suspensions put crazy side load into the shock.

Yoke rear suspensions are a stupid compromise that ignores the basic laws of physics and shock mfg had to respond.

The yoke is the macpherson strut of the bicycle world

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Edit!!!! I forgot to state why they are dumb. They necessitate a longer eye to eye for a given stroke, making packaging even tougher (unless you use a yoke @#$%^&&**%$&%$%%^%)

Hence the trunnion, shorter eye to eye for a given stroke. So I get to mover the shock lower and to the the rear.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
sorta like a Canyon Strive but is actuated automatically instead of with an extra unwanted cable.
The Strive is a manually activated, upside down Kona Magic Link bike. Just a coincidence the Fabien Barel is their PM/developer, who I sponsored at Kona with the floating brake for a few world championships right before the magic Link came out. Fabien's an engineer and a smart guy.

It never occurred to me to patent a manually adjustable magic link because I was (and am) against having to flip levers for my suspension. Shoulda