Quantcast

new bike: which one?

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I didnt know where to ask this but I really need a new bike for the next year. I dont know which to get. I want something used because I dont have money for a top of the line new bike. I need this bike to be able to ride up the hills at least moderately well but be able to take some drops, too. Give me some of suggestions or info on the AS-X and Bullit.
________
Uggs

Last edited:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
everything I've heard about the Bullits is great. they pedal great and descend like a dream. the best all around bike out there.:thumb:

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
Originally posted by RideND
I didnt know where to ask this but I really need a new bike for the next year. I dont know which to get. I want something used because I dont have money for a top of the line new bike. I need this bike to be able to ride up the hills at least moderately well but be able to take some drops, too. Give me some of suggestions or info on the AS-X and Bullit.
i have a bullit and i ride it everywhere. it is one of the best all around bikes out there in my opinion. are u looking for a complete bike or just the frame. i'm selling my frame shock and a few other accessories. if your interested PM me. thanks.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I ride an AS-X and it's a great all around bike. If you are looking for a bike that is easy to pedal up hills you should really be looking for something lighter than a bullit or as-x. As soon as you have a bike with 7" in the rear you'll want 7" up front to match and then one thing leads to another and your bike weighs in at 40lbs. Even with a spv shock 40 lbs is alot to push up a hill. If you're looking for something that will be only capable of climbing not necessarily good at it then either will do fine. I would reccomend the AS-X, it's within 50 bucks of the Bullit (or it was when I got mine last spring) The AS-X has a 1.5 head tube so you have the added strength and the option of riding a sherman breakout. The AS-X has a slightly lower bb, so it rails corners. It's got the coolest looking sculpted tubeset I've ever seen on a bike at this price. I've heared reports of it being stiffer than a Bullit, I haven't had the chance to ride both side by side with the same build. But the AS-X comes in at about a pound heavier than a bullit.

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
Ide say go for the Ironhorse sgs pro, it's so much cheaper than the bulit and competes with it just fine. Its only 2700$ But for 3500$ you can get the sgs team and that kick the bulit around.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I'd go with the ASX for 2 reasons. The first is because the 1.5 headtube=more options. Second, there are Bullits freakin everywhere. BUt an ASX is still pretty rare. So since they ride very similar, and cost about the same, I would definatly go with an ASX. Plus the attention to detail is astounding for that pricepoint.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I have a Bullit and if you have a "anti-bob" shock as the rear shock, you can ride it anywhere. I have tri-clamp boxxer on mine and i got mine weighing in a little less than 40. I ride it on XC rides as a back up bike or when i want to get more exercise on a shorter ride. I ride it up big mountains for the same reason, or if there is nobody to shuttle with for one of them crazy trails.

Sure there's alot of Bullits out there, but don't get caught up in the hype that's always been around biking about getting the rare or next and upcoming bike just to be different. I really don't know much about the as-x but i do know about my Bullit, and they are tried and true, just ask anybody.....

If you think you are gonna ride more trails, you can still get away with light drops, jumps, and stunts on the more prototypical 5" trail bikes, like the Heckler and so many other bikes out there.

Be careful when you buy used.......

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
go to your local giant dealer, and try to get last year's ac1, Giant is closing them out so you could probably get a great deal. the ac1 is a sick bike. I was going to get one of those, but i totaled my car so i had no money to spend on it. another way to go would be to get a warp ds1, retail for about 900 bucks, they will hold up to amost anything you can throw at it, you will want to upgrade a few things before going all out, but I've taken mine off some big drops with a 6" travel fork. Raleigh also has a cool line, ram 3500 is their more downhill bike, ram 2500 is the next step down at 2000, more afordable, lighter wight, ram 2500 is about 1500 bucks, that's kind of an entry level freeride bike. all of those have adjustable 5-6" of travel in the back and anywhere from 5- 7" up front depending on model. diamondback also has a pretty good freeride line, with similar prices

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
You've probably never heard of transition bikes but they make some sweet bikes for hella cheap. there a seatle based company and can get you the bike you want for an afordable price. My friend just bought one of their bikes for only 2700$ and it came with a romic rear shock and a super T up front. You should seriously check them out.