Quantcast

new bike

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the best MTB for under $200 would be a used hardtail - look for something older like an old Steel Specialized Stumpjumper or Rockhopper or something.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
kingbobii said:
i need to know whats the best mountian bike for under 200 (pls dont say save up my income is under 1k a year)
Im going to say save up, I have no income so I did't eat lunch at school. I spent NO money for almost a year to buy my bighit

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There's a point where one must say...

A) Find a rich benefactor to fund part of your bike

or

B) Unrealistic to find a decent bike (That won't become a money pit) unless you are EXTREMELY lucky. Stop eating for a year and save double that. Then come back.

Actually, I lie, if you look hard enough you may find what you're looking for but...good luck, my friend.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What kind of riding do you want to do and what do you expect from the bike?

If you're not an aggressive rider, or if you don't expect the bike to last more than a few years, or you don't want primo performance from the bike, then there are a lot of bikes out there that might fit the bill.

If you were able to bump up your budget to about $250, then you might be able to find hardtails from Trek, K2, Fuji, Ironhorse and Giant.

Like MMcG said - buying used is a good option for people on tight budgets. There are good deals to be had if you're patient enough to find them.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
don't get a mountain bike, get a used BMX bike, you can probably find a really nice one for $200 then learn how to ride dj's, street, and park, forget about mountain bikeing.

you may be able to find a halfway decent used Specialized p1. Thats about it.
consider the BMX.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Either you have to get a realllllly good deal from a friend. Or try to work out a deal with your parents or something. Getting another job might work too. There is no new mountain bike that will take abuse for under $200 I'm sorry to say.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Well, my friend is building a really cheap bike right now and might sell it for around 200. Its a Specialized full susp. I think 5inch travel all around. PM me for more info. I'm not sure if he's selling, but its likely.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah I would look into used, start looking and check often to get an idea of going prices and what will be a good deal. You have to be patient but if you look hard enough it will pay off most likely in getting you a decent bike for the right price.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I found you can usually save half the cost if you buy used. I bought a brand new hardtail for $650, and got $320 out of it. I bought a used RacerX for $2000, and priced out what it would have cost me new. It was $3800. So my opinion would be to buy used. I don't know if I'll buy another new bike. There are too many people that buy big and decide it's not for them and sell with in the year of purchasing. Look for deals they are out there. I think I paid a little more than I had to on my RacerX but I really wanted it, and that's what happens when you really like something.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Hmm... Scout out your local Targets and Walmarts till you find a bike that has been put together with the stem and handlebar backwards and the barends pointing straight up. Don't laugh cause I've seen plenty. Then buy the bike. Have your mom take a picture in the parking lot with you and the bike. Then promptly ride the bike into a curb, watch the front wheel taco as you nail your knee on the stem and take a barend to the chin. Have your mom call your lawyer and then place an order for a Demo 8.......
Sorry just a fantasy I guess...
Seriously though if you have a nearby college, wait until a semester is over and buy a bike from a kid getting kicked out of school that needs money for weed or a bus ticket. I'm pretty sure I sold my Cannondale for dirt back in 99...

overthebars

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
200 or under.....you might want to consider a life of crime in order to get something anywhere near decent, i heard that you shouldnt rob 7-11's or mom and pop stores because they tend to have guns behind the counter, but you may want to think about resturants, cause hell no one expects that, or if your really tough a bank

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
overthebars said:
200 or under.....you might want to consider a life of crime in order to get something anywhere near decent, i heard that you shouldnt rob 7-11's or mom and pop stores because they tend to have guns behind the counter, but you may want to think about resturants, cause hell no one expects that, or if your really tough a bank
Hahahaha. :stupid: