Quantcast

new bike

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
how does this look? what needs to change?

i ride mostly steep techy shore trails, and i ride them very fast. i'm going do some larger stunts (+20 drops, +30 jumps). i like my bikes low to the ground, and small, i'm only 5'5". i well also be racing it a lot next year. light is good, but i dont like breaking things.

frame - turner dhr with dhx shock
fork - 8" Rock Shocks Boxxer Race (mojo'ed and some other mods)
front rim - 26" Double Track
front hub - Formula 20mm
front tire - Kujo DH 26x2.65
front tube - Arrow 26"
rear rim - 24" Double Track
rear hub - hadley
rear tire - Kujo DH 24x2.35
rear tube - Arrow 24"
cranks - Race Face North Shore DH
bottem bracket - FSA Platinum Pro
chain guide - eNVy Chain Gang
inner bash ring - eNVY inner E
chain ring - eNVy EXO 36t
bash ring - Custom Dark Cycles
rear derailer - SRAM x7
shifter - SRAM x7
Cassette - SRAM PG-950
chain - SRAM PC59
handlebar - Truvativ Hussefelt DH
stem - Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8mm DH
front break - Hope mono 6ti + boxxer adaptor
rear break - Hope mono 6ti + rear adaptor
seat - Azonic Hotseat
head set - E-13 Reducer Kit

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Unless IRC has changed their tire compounds I would consider changing the rubber. A lot of people have been happy with Kendas, myself included, Blue Grooves and Nevegal. Probably the least expensive, most noticable change in performance you could make.

Hmm, I didn't realize that you were planning on running a 24" rear, you might want to buy some iron pedals 'cause that BB is going to be low.

Apr 26, 2004
Change the rear wheel to a 26"...a 24" will be awfull for racing.

What other mods have you made to your boxxers other than a mojo cart?

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
atb said:
how does this look? what needs to change?

i ride mostly steep techy shore trails, and i ride them very fast. i'm going do some larger stunts (+20 drops, +30 jumps). i like my bikes low to the ground, and small, i'm only 5'5". i well also be racing it a lot next year. light is good, but i dont like breaking things.

frame - turner dhr with dhx shock
fork - 8" Rock Shocks Boxxer Race (mojo'ed and some other mods)
front rim - 26" Double Track
front hub - Formula 20mm
front tire - Kujo DH 26x2.65
front tube - Arrow 26"
rear rim - 24" Double Track
rear hub - hadley
rear tire - Kujo DH 24x2.35
rear tube - Arrow 24"
cranks - Race Face North Shore DH
bottem bracket - FSA Platinum Pro
chain guide - eNVy Chain Gang
inner bash ring - eNVY inner E
chain ring - eNVy EXO 36t
bash ring - Custom Dark Cycles
rear derailer - SRAM x7
shifter - SRAM x7
Cassette - SRAM PG-950
chain - SRAM PC59
handlebar - Truvativ Hussefelt DH
stem - Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8mm DH
front break - Hope mono 6ti + boxxer adaptor
rear break - Hope mono 6ti + rear adaptor
seat - Azonic Hotseat
head set - E-13 Reducer Kit
Just out of curiousity, why the rear 24?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stoney98 said:
Do you already do 20+ foot drops an 30+ foot gaps? because those are pretty big, even for the semi/pro riders on here. Are you sure you're not 14 and Canukian?
:stupid:

just wondering the same thing...

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
Why would you even consider a 24" rim? If you really want a 24'' rim look somewhere else in the frame department.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i am from the north shore and i'm 18. and yes i alredy do jumps and drops of that size.

when ever i ride a bike with a 26" rear wheel it feels too tall, and slugish. i love the way a bike handels with a smaller rear wheel. and on the trails that i ride it's alot faster.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Whatever works for ya, I rode a 24 until I realized a 26 worked better for what I ride.... if you like it then ride it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just got back from the North Shore and Whistler and a rear 24" would have been real nice for the steeps and techy turns. We go to the NS 2-3 times a year and I live real close to a lot of GOOD BC riding. You might want a spare 26" for racing. I like double tracs too but they are way too heavy. You might try the 521 or 321. My 321s have held up realy well to NS type riding. I have found that Minions or Kendas work the best on the shore, especially in a sticky compound. Nice build though. I would go with more Race Face parts since you live in Canada.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i'm also finding it hard to find a set of 5 bolt 165mm race face north shore dh cranks. should i just make the switch to 4 bold and get some saint/hone or some other x-type cranks.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
atb said:
i'm also finding it hard to find a set of 5 bolt 165mm race face north shore dh cranks. should i just make the switch to 4 bold and get some saint/hone or some other x-type cranks.
Race face doesn't make North Shore cranks anymore. You're better off getting diablous x-type or saints. 4 or 5 bolts makes no difference either.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
RF doesn't make 5 bolt COMPACT anymore. I have a set of turbines that I love. You can still find some shops that still carry them.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
atb said:
Diabolous :evil:

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
atb said:
i am from the north shore and i'm 18. and yes i alredy do jumps and drops of that size.

when ever i ride a bike with a 26" rear wheel it feels too tall, and slugish. i love the way a bike handels with a smaller rear wheel. and on the trails that i ride it's alot faster.
What are you riding now?

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
Turd Ferguson said:
What are you riding now?
right now i'm riding nothing.

i rode mount washington for a day and rented a 2005 norco a-line. i hated it, it was way to tall, very hard to get befind the bike and push it like i did on my giant. the fork was crap, after 3 runs it went down 6" then stoped, and would not move eny more, i had to ride all the way down the moutain with a locked out 2" fork. the kenda tires were bad too, way less grip then my good old kujos.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
AirAddict said:
is that pinkbike scale where everything is estimated to be roughly 216.83% larger than it really is?
I don't think an 18 year old would make that kind of stuff up, especially one from the north shore. I've seen many Americans make rediculous numbers too when it comes to drops.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
sn0wboarder said:
I don't think an 18 year old would make that kind of stuff up, especially one from the north shore. I've seen many Americans make rediculous numbers too when it comes to drops.

i know man. i was making a joke. i'm not doubting him... because i was sticking 20 foot drops at the age of 15 (i turned 16...well... today :rolleyes: )

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
atb said:

A dhr is not for you, its a freckin race bike, it wont last 5 mins.
get the right tool for the job buy a Kona.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
stoney98 said:
HAHAHAH!!!!! You huck meat! You should get a hardtail and work on smooth before you go any bigger. HAHAHAH!!!!!
I was hoping to huge-->flat, but that was 10^100000000000001 times better!

*on a side note*
Hucking a 15footer w/ out landing it properly /= 20 footers.
Throw style, fly level (see pull the front up fast! /= good), and land smooth. Just because you *can* do doesn't mean you *should* do it.

pps. get a kona or an RM, cUse ur'e a huck3r!!!

that was from a year ago. i'v done bigger and smother drops now.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
stoney98 said:
HAHAHAH!!!!! You huck meat! You should get a hardtail and work on smooth before you go any bigger. HAHAHAH!!!!!
I was hoping to huge-->flat, but that was 10^100000000000001 times better!

*on a side note*
Hucking a 15footer w/ out landing it properly /= 20 footers.
Throw style, fly level (see pull the front up fast! /= good), and land smooth. Just because you *can* do doesn't mean you *should* do it.

pps. get a kona or an RM, cUse ur'e a huck3r!!!

Jesus Christ man, Stop being such a dickhead